StearmanR985

Jump After 19 Month Lay Off

Yep, finally got off my ASS and made a jump last Friday. Quite enjoyable, quite enjoyable.

I found it to be like riding a bike. I left the plane and moved around the sky how I saw fit. Of course, I didn't really do anything special but still, it was pretty easy and I was a bit surprised about that. Being off for so long I jumped a 190 at 1.1, a bit different than the 150 Pilot I last jumped. My landing was fine but I am glad I chose the 190 even though it was sluggish and had tremendous riser pressure.

Two things I noticed having issue with, the gear check and EP's (important ones at that). I haven't even glanced at a rig in a year and half and it took me a few extra minutes to check my gear as I had to basically try and remember everything. I did multiple checks just to make sure I got it all. As for my EP's, at first thought I knew what to do...then this doubt creeps in out of nowhere and suddenly I wasn't so sure about which handle to go to first should things not work out with the pitch. I carefully looked around to make sure no one was watching and follow the cables to make sure I had it right. I did, but how embarassing. Anyhow, I donned the rig and went through mock pitches and handle pulling. And, here I am today, yeah.

For others that may be coming back, don't be afraid or embarassed to ask questions. I look back now and could have easlily asked for a check up on my know how.

Jeff

You know, up North, where yearly Winter layoffs of 4 to 6 months are par for the course, a lot of people get back up in the harness to practice their EP's on Safety Day. I don't think anybody getting back after a layoff should be embarrassed to do that before making a recurrency jump. I'd tend to respect that person as one who has a responsible attitude about safety.