Safteyjest

FAA Decision

>Has USPA revoked his membership, or moving to do so?

I'm not sure that makes any sense. Would USPA revoke the membership of a private pilot who flew through a DZ and came very close to some jumpers? (assuming he was a USPA member of course.)

I think the USPA has a vested interest in safe rigging and tandem instructors, even though they don't issue the certifications themselves.

If a pilot committed several intentional unsafe acts, causing the FAA to revoke his license, I would think an organization like AOPA would want to revoke his membership too.

To maintain a positive image, you don't want to be associated with such individuals.

Has USPA revoked his membership, or moving to do so?

The applicable section of the Governance Manual is
Sec 1-6.4.B.6
Any USPA member shall be guilty of an offense
justifying the imposition of the penalties set forth
in USPA Governance Manual Section 1-6.4.C
(below) who—
6. Willfully falsifies any document, certificate, or record connected with or relating to skydiving.

See also SIM 2-1.B.1
B. COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL REGULATIONS [NW]
1. No skydive may be made in violation of Federal
Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations.

I know that both RDs know about this situation. The jumper lives in the Central region and jumps in the North Central region.
Neither RD will talk to you about this in accordance with Gov. Manual 1-6.5.F.2
2. To protect a member who is wrongly accused
and to protect the rights of all persons affected,
the regional director will refrain from discussing
any matter relating to the alleged offense with
any person not a party to the action and shall
express no opinion nor make any statement
concerning the facts brought to his attention
except as specifically provided in Governance
Manual Section 1-6.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Sounds like the folks who got the pencil packs were probably safer off than actually getting the pack job...:S

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I'm one of the wronged, I cannot express in words the level of betrayal I'm feeling... if you have a rig packed by John, get it repacked NOW, I'm too pissed to risk further comment in a public forum, if you NEED more (no just for curiousity) please PM me

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

FAA Rigger Decision Update

The FAA’s legal dept is still crossing their T’s and dotting their I’s so we don’t have a formal letter yet. They are working with USPA and will send notices out to DZ’s with pertinent info. As for now, John Lindstrom’s rigging privileges have been revoked, and he is no longer staff at our DZ.

Some AAD’s were improperly installed. SSK wants any unit whose cutting cable has greater than a 90-degree bend to be sent in for inspection. This is not something you can inspect yourself so please have your rigger inspect everything carefully.

The dust still hasn’t settled so forgive me for having to be vague.

Tim ‘Hoochie’ Hajewski
President.
Board of Directors, Sky Knights SPC.

judgment.<<<

Says it all right there dude. I hate to be the one with the wake up but skydivers CAN be some of the lowest slimmest creatures on earth, yet other or really friendly and will do anything for you. SO heads up! Know your enemy

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Some AAD’s were improperly installed. SSK wants any unit whose cutting cable has greater than a 90-degree bend to be sent in for inspection. This is not something you can inspect yourself so please have your rigger inspect everything carefully.

I recently removed a Cypres with 2 180-bends in both the cables. The excess cable was stowed in the channel on the back pad with no excess stowed in the cypres pouch per the manual. Is this the type of installation in question and the bends that SSK wants to inspect?

Derek

A few rigs (i.e. Talon 2, Telesis 2, Genera) have extra pockets sewn into the pack tray specifically for stowing excess Cypres cable.
Back when Cypres started making replaceable cutters and short pockets, it became damn near impossible to stow all the cable in that tiny pocket, so Airtec sent out some extra padded pockets. I suggested - to Sandy Reid - that it would be simpler to skip a stitch row inside the Genera reserve container to serve the same function.

Official letter received by USPA today from the FAA.

Same document, saved as PDF for better interoperability.

Eule

(You'd also think the government could go straight to PDF instead of printing out and scanning back in, but there you go.)
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Official letter received by USPA today from the FAA.

Same document, saved as PDF for better interoperability.

Eule

(You'd also think the government could go straight to PDF instead of printing out and scanning back in, but there you go.)

What makes you think the "government" printed and scanned. The poster said it was a copy of a letter recieved by USPA. You think maybe it was sent by USPS?

Main Entry: in·ter·op·er·a·bil·i·ty
Pronunciation: "in-t&-"rä-p(&-)r&-'bi-l&-tE
Function: noun
: ability of a system (as a weapons system) to use the parts or equipment of another system

Do you think that one little letter is part of a Weapons system?:P

Word works just fine for most people.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What I want to know is where are all the pencil packing fans we had about a month ago in rigger robs thread.
As I recall there were many posters who thought it was no big deal, so what is all the fuss about with this rigger doing it anyway?
Pencil packing is a great thing and sloppy rigging is too.:)
~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Joking or not, the important distinction to make here is that he was signing and sealing a rig previously packed by another rigger. Presumably a rig he had no knowledge of it's care or use before it was brought to him.

A jumper signing the last riggers name on their own card - not so bad, provided they know how to care for their gear, and it had been treated well in the last 120 days.

A rigger signing his own card on his own rig - also not a problem.

A rigger signing and sealing a rig which might be mis-rigged, mis-treated, or otherwise damaged before coming into his care - just plain fucked up.

I agree with you to a point, I 'm not a fan of pencil packing any rig for reasons like some one tampering
with a rig, it has happened before, it has happened to my rig and to my wifes rig, I am a rigger and can pencil our rigs anytime I want to, but I don't do that, I might open it up and make sure the risers have not been cut and the pack job still looks good and close it, but I don't just whip it and go on.
I know other riggers who have done and do the same thing this guy was nailed for,
that is why I think it is funny when people would sign their cards and trust there is nothing wrong from before, seen many fuck up's found at the next repack.
But hey everyone can do as they please, you won't see it on my back, I don't jump borrowed gear.

~

all fun and games aside, my rig was inspected, they found the pack job of the rigger who assembeled my gear 2 years ago, Jon "pencil packed" my rig 3 times the first and third of these "repacks" were my spring repack after a lay off through winter. they also found my freshly 8year checked cypres mis-installed and potentially damaged. Anyone who tells me this is no big deal can KISS MY.... (wow I am still pissed off!) the big deal here is someone bet my life on their lazyness, took my money and gave me their word on a service I am not qualified to do...

rigging is something I'm not interiested in, but after this I might have to get my riggers ticket just to trust my reserve pack job ! what sucks is I'm not good at sewing, have no real interiset in rigging and am not sure I've got the time to remain current at being a rigger, so in the long run I may know my reserve was repacked but I doubt my pack job would be as good as most if not all dedicated (honorable honest) riggers.

Not a fun place/mindset to be in.

judgment.

wow I am still pissed off!)

You should be !

all fun and games aside

I don't see anything funny about it, nor do I agree with people who turn a blind eye to this kind of crap.

I might have to get my riggers ticket just to trust my reserve pack job

Not a bad idea, why do think I have a ticket, it's not so I can become rich.
I hope you can find someone new you trust.

~

..A jumper signing the last riggers name on their own card - not so bad, provided they know how to care for their gear, and it had been treated well in the last 120 days.

Bad, bad, Dave....I'm sure you would be quite happy if somebody falsified your name on a reserve pack. Yeah, you know the one...the one that had the major mistake in it or the one that was tampered with unbeknownst to the jumper...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239