mjosparky

It's been one hell of a ride.

I have made a decision to hang up jumping, at least for the foreseeable future. The reasons are many and varied and would not make good reading in any case. I will probably still surf DZ.com, bad habits are hard to break, but will try and stay out of the “discussions”.

I have made some good friends on these boards and stepped on more than my share of toes. I have learned far more then I have taught and find there are some “younger” jumpers out there with far more knowledge than their “time in sport” would lead you to believe.

There are some regulars on DZ.com who have one reason and one reason only for posting and that is to make a positive difference in a sport they love. Some of them may come on a little strong, Ron are you listening, but should be listened to when they speak. (Again, Ron are you listening). Two of the smother ones that should be given credit for their input are Derek Whats his name, also known as Hooknswoop and Bill Von Whats his name also known as BillVon.. I have banged heads with them both at one time or another but have learned a great deal from them both. And then there is the bearded man from the South. I find it hard to believe that there are still people who will argue with him 30 years after he came up with what I believe to be 2 of the 4 greatest changes in gear. (Some people are just hard headed).

This sport has come a long way since 1976, some of it good, some of it not so good. The founding fathers of “Skydiving” are starting to die off. And when we lose them we lose an irreplaceable piece of history. Most of what they knew and saw happen is recorded only in “word of mouth” stories. The problem is newer jumpers don’t have time to listen. When this history is gone, it is gone forever. How many of you have ever heard of Bill Edwards, Sled, Dirty Ed? He had 3,000 jumps in 1970. Think of that, 1970. And hell, half of them were DC's on a 10 cm disk. How about Kevin Donley? He was the first jumper to do a plane to plane transfer, and that was before the jumpers doing it today were born. I remember asking Kevin how many DC he had and he said, “Oh around 1800, but the first 500 don’t count cus they were under rounds.” Can you dig it?

And then there is a jumper I wish you all could meet and spend some time around. He is 73 years old, has beaten cancer twice that I know of and got married not too long ago. He was a member of the Original Golden Knights. His “D” lic. Number is 22. In January of this year I did a 16 way demo into Cable Airport with him. He was on the load, not because he is over 70 or that he has been around forever, he was on the demo because he could be counted on to be 100%. I know this because it was my demo. His name is Gerry Borquin and he can be described with one word. CLASS. He is the best ambassador of sport parachuting I have ever met. (Well maybe Al Kruguer)

For those of you are boarded with my rambling, in the next week of so, see if you can find out who invented the curved pin. Or who made the first sport reserve container with a single pin configuration. This is not a test; it is just something to get you all to thinking.

Always remember, “You are not now, nor will you ever be good enough not to die in this sport.” Skydiving owes you nothing, what are you prepared to give for the privilege of being part of it.”?

It’s been one hell of a ride, be safe and enjoy.

Sparky

Michael Owens
D-5476
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Always remember, “You are not now, nor will you ever be good enough not to die in this sport.” Skydiving owes you nothing, what are you prepared to give for the privilege of being part of it.”?

Your whole post was beautifully-written, but I especially love the part quoted above. Have fun in all your future endeavors. :)
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

You will be missed. Especially by me. I really appreicated you taking the time to PM your advice when I was a complete newbie, and I've always enjoyed your no-bull approach on the forums. I feel very fortunate that I got to jump with you last year (and I have a sneaking suspicion I may get a chance again).

Enjoy your time away from the sport, be it temporary or permanent.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Mike,

I am both truly saddened for our loss and hopeful for your future. Part of me wants to say, "You selfish Bastard," but the other part of me says,"Thank you for what you've given us."

Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have made a decision to hang up jumping, at least for the foreseeable future. The reasons are many and varied and would not make good reading in any case. I will probably still surf DZ.com, bad habits are hard to break, but will try and stay out of the “discussions”.

Hey...

First of all, compared to you old timers, I am simply an approx 100-jump klutz myself.

I read a lot of amazing stories in the Skydiving History forum. It is a little sad that a lot of this history goes unrecorded. Many of us, relative newbies in comparision, don't even know what a round parachute looks like except in history books or cartoons, and that some of today's dropzones sometimes give A licenses to near-brainless sack of potatoes that barely know how to save their lives....

But that said... hats off to you old timers (yourself included), you deserve a lot of my respect!

In about a year on the forums I think I've been able to sift who to listen to and who to ignore. Your input will be missed, and it sounds like a lot of people who know you will miss you in the sport.

Have fun with your chosen path.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Wow! Was the demo we did together into the Calfornia Speedway your bonvoyage jump?! I don't know if we can accept your departure so quickly, Mike. I've only been around for 10 years and that's not -near- enough time to spend with someone as wonderful as you.

Your smile is always uplifting as well as your mentorship to the old and new alike. No one can fill your shoes....how the heck are we going to find our place in the sky without your bright and beautiful road warrior color jumpsuit?!

Stop by the Bombshelter sometime soon so we can give you a proper send off! :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Don't MAKE me come back to California! Even if you say you're hanging it up, you'll be a skydiver forever.....I value the jumps and conversations we have had and those to come.

Folks, spending an afternoon listening to Sparky tell stories is a good investment.....and entertainment.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

For those of you are boarded with my rambling, in the next week of so, see if you can find out who invented the curved pin. Or who made the first sport reserve container with a single pin configuration. This is not a test; it is just something to get you all to thinking.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Patience was never my strong suite.

I remember something about Hank Ascuitto inventing the curved pin, I just can't remember how to spell his name.

As for the one-pin reserve, was it Hank Ascuitto or Troy Loney (RIP)?

DAMN Sparky...!!!

For some odd reason I was thinking earlier today about the 'Chopper' post you made a few days back.

I have a tendency to stick a foot in my mouth at times...
the wife tells me it's because I don't listen to what people actually are saying, but instead only hear what I want to hear.

I thought...Mike and I are friends, but that reply I made to his post...
a tounge in cheek responce to what I 'heard' as a tounge in cheek comment...

Was rather out of line If he's really considering hanging 'em up...

But then I thought NAAA...It's SPARKY!B|

He'll be punchin' a hole in the sky long AFTER I'm in bed restraints at the rest home.

A few minutes ago I got a shiver when scanning the subject lines..I see the thread:

It's been one hell of a ride. by mjosparky

I don't often talk to myself, so I was a little surprised when I heard the words "He's FUCKIN' DOING IT!"
echoing here in my office, before I even clicked on the thread.:o

When you've been a part of this wonderful sport and brotherhood as long as I have, you learn that TWO of the absolutely most important rules in Skydiving are ones that are unfortunately, selfishly tempting to break from time to time.
But if one truly loves the sport and the people in it, those temptations have to be set aside.

The two things a jumper must NEVER do are ~
Talk someone IN to skydiving, and talk someone out of NOT skydiving.

I sit here with three strange emotions going through me...
I'm sad for the sport, because it will lose a priceless resource, one that can't be replaced.

...I'm sad for me, because I won't be able to jump with my friend.

...I'm happy for Sparky, because...well..he's SPARKY!

He's a man that doesn't do anything without thoughtful analyzation, and as he always does...
He's doing what he WANTS to.

Reading the subject matter of this post brings to mind a story.
And... since I've been known to tell a story now and then, indulge me if you will...

Gerry Borquin...D~22.
It's somehow apropos that Sparky mentions Gerry
with admiration in his post.

I've known Gerry for around 20 years.
In addition to being undeniably one of the top Icons of the sport, he's one of the most kind, caring, and honest people I've ever met.

I visit with Gerry in person now and then when I can, but I also call him to 'check in'...B.S. a while or ask a question, usually about once a month.

I called him a couple of years back to ask an honest question, knowing I would get an honest un-bias answer.

I Had been asked to submit a 'short list'...
of the best Pro Rated Demo jumpers I know, that could commit to participating in a Monumental Demo...

100 jumpers in the air at the same time, over Kitty Hawk to commemorate the 100 years of flight at the place the Wright Brother started it all.

"Hi Gerry, Twardo here....What can Ya tell me about Mike Owens?"

Oddly...somehow, even though Sparky and I have been in the sport about the same length of time, and both do a lot of demos....
I'd never JUMPED with him!

I'm sure we've been on the same dropzone and possible even in the same plane together back when I lived in Southern California...

But I had never 'met' him until conversing on this website for a length of time, noticing we all to often shared similar views and experiences.

Sparky emailed me once, offering that he would be here in Texas for the POPS record and it was about time we meet in person.

Shaking his hand in the hangar at Spaceland that day was like reuniting with an old friend. We just hit it off, and discussions flowed from topic to topic until we found ourselves finishing each others sentences.

My impression of Sparky was that he'd been around the block a few times and unlike some people you meet...
He could both "talk the talk AND walk the walk"

We both know a lot of the same people, both have done a LOT of similar demos into similar places, he knows as much or more than I do ABOUT doing demo jumps...

But I'd never 'seen' his game face.

The Kitty Hawk demo was going to be a challenging gig to pull off...

The standards set for the talent needed, were as high or higher than world record attempts, because the possible number of variables the jumpers might need to contend with ...were astronomical!

Put together in a very short period of time...
there 'might' be as many as five practice jumps prior to the event...or as few as ZERO!

We'd be jumping out of five planes, near the Atlantic ocean, in winter, with VERY specific free fall, opening and canopy choreography...

100 skydivers that for the most part, if they'd ever even met...hadn't jumped together.

The organizers had to have people that have the required skills, and just as importantly, be willing and able to improvise and adapt without thinking, and do so quickly and SAFELY.

That's a tough package to fill, especially considering that as with any jump...it's only going to be as good as the weakest link.

At minimum...the 'worst' person on the load, had to be...REALLY GOOD!;)

As you may have guessed by now...
The Demonstratrion Jump went off without a hitch,
down to the smalest detail.

One of the best formation dives I've been on...
Easily the best demo.

Because of minimal weather conditions in the days prior, we only had the chance to make three practice jumps...
and the last one....the evening before the performance .......Zapped![:/]

The only thing we could do was move some people around, alter the plan a bit, dirt dive the hell out it and hope.

There were 100 of us that were honored to be a part of celebrating the Century Anniversary of one of Mans most important achievements.

In the fanfare following the last jumper down, who was carrying the U.S.Flag, it was a toss up as to who was more excited...we jumpers or the crowd!

Not far from the stone monument marking the exact spot that the world was forever changed...

Michael "Sparky" Owens made his way through the crowd and came over to me...he shook my hand like only a friend would, like only a brother could.

"That" he said, "Was the best demo I've ever done."

Mike then looked me in the eyes, still griping my hand and said in a voice just above a whisper...

"Thank you for inviting me on this Jim."

I thought to myself, kinda funny how the description of what the demo's organizers told me they needed...

Was exactly how Gerry had described Sparky that day I called...

The Best!

Be well my friend.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...I'm sad for me, because I won't be able to jump with my friend.

...I'm happy for Sparky, because...well..he's SPARKY!

My sentiments exactly. I called bullshit before...guess I will have to eat those words.

The sad part is not that you and I, Jim, wont get to jump with a buddy.....its the noobs and young jumpers wont get to partake in Sparkys knowledge, personality and friendship.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

OK, I was a smartass in the last thread too. Stick around on dz.com, otherwise we'll miss you. You provide a lot of good information here.

When it's time, it's time. There are other things in life, aren't there...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Life marches on and there is more to it that the DZ. I'm sure you'll enjoy and make the best of whatever endeavors you choose.

Best regards for the future,
Jon Stark

PS: You don't have to be current to lurk here. We'll enjoy and appreciate your insight along the way.

Another awesome read.

I don’t have that much time in the sport or very many jumps yet; still have so much to learn. Perhaps that’s what so appealing about skydiving to me, the need to continually train and learn. Wisdom through experience in this sport comes from decades of time and dedication that folks like you have given to it, and the knowledge that you have been willing to share to give back illustrates what fantastic people skydivers are. It has been a great pleasure reading your posts and learning from you even if it was just on an online message board. I earnestly thank you for sharing your knowledge and making me a better skydiver and instructor

Michael, sincerely, thank you for that.

Remember; don’t sell all your gear, save at least one complete rig in case you get the itch again.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Best of luck Sparky. Though we've never met, I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for your valuable contributions to the forum and the sport.

If you are going to take the time to monitor DZ.com, please contribute. You knowledge won't disappear simply because you have other interests.

For Great Deals on Gear