secondthoughts

Question for skydivers

Hi. I found this group searching for information about skydiving. At first I was just going to try to ask one question but seeing the things that are listed here I think I might have more than one thing to ask.

I got a gift certificate to do a tandem skydive for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I've always thought that it would be an amazing test of will to do that. The next day I was going to call to make an appointment and I saw on the news that somone in this area had been killed because both of their parachutes didn't open.

I assumed that this was not very common and when I was searching for information I found this group. I was going to ask for input about how dangerous this would be and the first thing I noticed when I joined was that there are over 1000 discussions about incidents that were fatal or almost fatal.

I've known several people who did tandem skydives and had a wonderful time without seeming very worried about being hurt. I have to admit that I'm conflicted about what I read about safety and what I see here.

Can anyone shed light on this for me or refer me to a good place to explain the dangers of this before I make my decision?

I saw on the news that somone in this area had been killed because both of their parachutes didn't open.

The news gets skydiving fatality stories wrong all the time. Very, very rarely do both parachutes "fail to open." For the most part, fatalities are due to one or more mistakes by the jumper, and not due to equipment failure.

All that said, skydiving is not safe. No one on here should try to convince you that it is. A tandem skydive is probably the safest way for you to experience the sport for the first time, but it is not without its risks. You can get hurt and you can die.

the first thing I noticed when I joined was that there are over 1000 discussions about incidents that were fatal or almost fatal.

The United States Parachute Association would be a good place to start if you'd like to look at fatality statistics on average. Those "1000 discussions" are worldwide over a number of years and there may be multiple discussions on a single incident. Here's a link to the USPA's safety stats. They're probably the best source of data for the US, though they're not perfect.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thank you for your answer. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the information here. I'll read more and try to keep an open mind.

I would also encourage you to call the dropzone on the gift certificate and talk to them. Better yet, pick a day and go out there and watch things. It's easy to get overwhelmed with information about this sport. Sometimes just seeing it in action is the best way to decide if it's right for you.

If you go out on a busy weekend day, don't be surprised if you can't get much time/attention from the instructional staff. If you call ahead or arrange to go out during a quieter time, you might be able to get someone to spend some time with you explaining what's going on.

That's a good one. Go out to the DZ and watch what happens. You only hear the news reports about the skydives where things go wrong. They never tell you about the stories where people jump, pull, and land without incident.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I saw on the news that somone in this area had been killed because both of their parachutes didn't open.

The news gets skydiving fatality stories wrong all the time. Very, very rarely do both parachutes "fail to open." For the most part, fatalities are due to one or more mistakes by the jumper, and not due to equipment failure.

If this is about the tandem accident in Arizona, it might be true in this case. The little detail suggests a cutaway followed by a partial reserve opening. Both survived the landing, but the passenger was in critical condition and the instructor hurt to some degree.

To the original poster - each year there are a few hundred thousand tandem jumps and 0-2 fatal accidents. Doing a single jump is pretty safe in the scheme of things, but there's no guarantee in life.

The incident in question is the fatality in Cleveland the other week.

Swing by and hang out at Parkman some time, they are a good bunch of people out there and you'll be welcomed with smiles. Skydiving isn't safe, but to all of us the risk is very outweighed by the reward. We talk about incidents to learn from them so we don't repeat the same things. We don't have a death wish, but we like to experience life. And for us the experience is better in the air then it is on some couch watching TV. :)
Contact the USPA for some stats, but a better gague is to actually talk to Bob at Parkman and express your concerns and they will discuss things with you. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Skydiving isn't safe, but to all of us the risk is very outweighed by the reward. We talk about incidents to learn from them so we don't repeat the same things. We don't have a death wish, but we like to experience life. And for us the experience is better in the air then it is on some couch watching TV.

I love the way you expressed this! :):D
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I've known several people who did tandem skydives and had a wonderful time without seeming very worried about being hurt. I have to admit that I'm conflicted about what I read about safety and what I see here.

It's not really conflicting. When there are fatalities or accidents they are discussed on this forum so we can learn from them and help prevent future incidents.

Thanks for all this information. Several people have suggested that I go to the place before I schedule the skydive. That seems like the best idea. I'm grateful for all the input.

I also like the comment about you wanting to live life in the air and not on a couch. For me, life has always been fullest when I'm sailing. I don't own a television :-)

Thanks again

I was trying to ask about safety, not about danger.

I’m a trauma nurse. I’m acutely aware of what danger is and what its effects are. I see the results of extreme sports gone wrong on a fairly regular basis. I’m not sure I see what’s “extreme” about being attached to someone in a harness and going for a skydive with them other than the idea that I feel it would be extremely stupid not to ask questions first.

If asking questions is considered a sign that trying a skydive isn’t for me, then I’m not sure I’d want to be strapped to someone with your attitude anyway. Your comment implies that you don’t ask questions. I'd have a hard time trusting someone like that with my well being.

Maybe I should be glad that I’m asking questions in Ohio and not in Arizona. I've gotten some really nice suggestions from people in this area.

Asking questions is normal and a tandem is a very common way to make a first jump in US. It is still "extreme" because you go through the whole skydiving experience that includes a freefall and a canopy ride but it is "safer" for you as a first time jumper because you have less responsibilities (such as deploying a parachute, handling emergency procedures and landing) and are attached to experienced instructor whose job is to bring you to the ground as safe as possible. Tandem accidents happen, but with very low probability.
Visiting a dropzone where you consider to make a jump, watching people getting geared up, boarding the plane and landing will help you to become little more familiar with the whole procedure. ;)

A tandem is the "Safest" way to experiance a real skydive.
So since you are a trauma nurse you have seen quite a bit I am assuming. I am sure you have seen the results of a pedestrian walking acros the street at the wrong place and wrong time.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

If asking questions is considered a sign that trying a skydive isn’t for me, then I’m not sure I’d want to be strapped to someone with your attitude anyway. Your comment implies that you don’t ask questions. I'd have a hard time trusting someone like that with my well being.

Know what? Ask all the questions in the world. Ask until you're satisfied you've gotten good information, and then ask a bit more.

I think what Airgord was trying to say - albeit inelegantly - was that only you know what your level of comfort is, what your level of risk is.

If you want skydiving to be completely safe, it never will be. People can, and do, get killed in this sport. However, if you're doing a "risk-assessment" and are weighing the answers to your questions - and taking suggestions made to heart - then I don't think anyone here is qualified to answer your fundamental question...which is, should you do it.

That's for you to decide. Only you. And only after you ask, ask, ask, and then ask some more.

As for me, I'd encourage you to do it. To experience life, you need to be in it all the way. 100% commitment doesn't happen very much - you almost always have a lower level of commitment in the things you do. Putting it all on the line voluntarily is not a common occurance...but it is the most magnificent, amazing, and utterly exhiliarating thing that can be done...and for us, skydiving is the way we do that.

I think that going out to the DZ is a great way to see that one media report is not necessarily the way things go. And I also second the idea that going Tandem is best for the first time; I didn't go that route, and wish I had. It's what I recommend to anyone who has ever contemplated jumping...

And I wish you great luck, glorious blue skies, fair winds, and I want to hear all about it when you do go. There's nothing quite comparable to a first jump...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

There is nothing wrong with my atitude, just being frank and honest.
I used to work with people that had similar questions to yours,
they all, almost to the last man, wanted assurances that everything was going to go okay, that nothing was going to go wrong, and in today's litigous society you could be held liable for making that "promise". I could not tell my student that everything was always going to be okay and I find it unconsionable that anyone would do such a thing, there is no certainty in life except the beginning and the end.
I hope you make your skydive, I hope you have more fun than anyone ever, if you decide not to go I hope that my "attitude"
did not influence you and that YOU chose not to go based on the the information you have disseminated from this and other sources.

This site is filled with skydivers from everywhere in the world and all are at different levels in the sport. People here, are like people everywhere. There are some people who respect others and will shot straight & honest. There are others who are just jags. It seems like your curiosity has attracted straight answers from good representatives of the sport.
I’m relatively new in the sport, just completing my A license. Skydiving is like nothing else in the world. For me it frees my Spirit completely. I can’t say that I don’t fear death, but I can say that I live my life to the fullest. However, like you, I ask questions. That is how I learn. I spent a lot of time learning this past winter, about wind dynamics; I went and spent 2 hours in a tunnel to learn to flyB|. A lot of time learning about skydiving and the equipment, canopy malfunctions, different disciplines within the sport and statistics. However, I believe that I will never learn enough about skydiving to satisfy my desire. I also believe that there are those who have made time in the sky their way of life.
I believe that when it is your time to go, it is not going to matter where you’re at or what you’re doing. I just had a 54 year old co-worker die of lung cancer and he nor anyone else in his family smoked.
If you do decide to use your gift certificate, get a video of the experience. If not, go to the drop zone and cash it in. I’m sure they will be able to sell it to someone else. However, lady thinker… I think you will really enjoy the canopy encounter, even if you do it just once.B|

It doesn't matter how anyone else lives their life.... it matter how you live yours!

This explaination makes it easier to understand what you said earlier. I really had no idea what to think without knowing more about what motivated you to write it. I understand that this must be a common thing for you to get questions about.

I'm not looking for someone to tell me everything will be fine. I'm really only trying to find out what types of questions I should be asking. Does that make sense? The accident nearby makes it clear that problems can happen. I wanted to know how and why.

I have gotten a number of messages from area skydivers explaining the basics of what happened and inviting me to meet them and visit their dropzones. I'm planning to do that when the weather is good.

I'd like to add one final thing. After I read several of the notes people were sending me I came to understand that the skydiver who died is probably a friend to them and some of you who have answered my questions here. I would like to apoglogize if my original message was insensitive.

I'm looking forward t meeting some of you soon. Please be careful :-)

All that said, skydiving is not safe. No one on here should try to convince you that it is.

Krisanne, because you're a friend who I've jumped with, I'm going to call you on this and say bullshit. There are too many people on these forums who are saying too often and too easily that skydiving "isn't safe" (even a greenie or two) and I'm going to say bullshit on all of you, but I can say it kindly to Krisanne because I know she's good people, so here goes. Bullshit.

First of all, I will back up half a step and say that skydiving is not COMPLETELY safe and it never will be because it can't. If you want zero percent chance of getting hurt or killed, then stay home. Don't leave the house, don't drive a car, don't cross the street, don't go to work or school, don't answer the doorbell, and you MIGHT not get killed. But guess what, you're going to die anyway, sooner or later, of something or other, so what's the use ?

Skydiving is more dangerous than not skydiving. Jumping out of an airplane is inherently dangerous, if you don't get something to open and then land it intelligently, it can hurt or kill you. Sort of like driving a car, or crossing the street. That doesn't make safe driving habits, or crossing with the lights "not safe", even though you might still get killed because somebody else might do something stupid, or because "shit happens" no matter what you do.

Skydiving comes up about equal to general aviation in frequency of deaths, it's about as dangerous to jump out of an airplane as it is to own and fly one. We die a little less often than glider pilots and quite a bit less often than scuba divers or people driving in cars - that's right folks, the old saw is true, you are likelier to die in your car than skydiving. Don't take my word for it, go listen to the latest Skydive Radio interview with Paul Sitter for yourself.

Plain bottom line is this - if skydiving was that damn dangerous, I wouldn't do it. I couldn't, I have a family. It is the reason I don't BASE jump, because a friend of mine with over 1000 BASE jumps who teaches a course for beginners told me I could count on a stay in the ICU at least once in my life if I took up BASE (he's been there twice himself). So, minus the one & only BASE jump I've ever made, I choose not to do it.

But I am just plain fucking tired of hearing people on these forums talking about how "not safe" our sport is. Yeah, we have some idiots who let their thirst for adrenaline get ahead of their common sense. And we have experienced people who should know better telling beginners it "might be safer to ride a malfunction in because reserves can malfunction too" and then on top of that say the sport is unsafe. And I say bullshit on all of them.

I'm not nearly the most experienced jumper on these forums and I haven't been around the sport as long as some of them either. But I was around during some interesting times, when the sport went through some revolutionary changes. And I've known more people who have died - over two dozen - than I can even keep track of and have personally witnessed several fatalities, so I'm not just talking shit here. I think in many ways that the sport has become safer than it used to be and that a little bit of intelligent planning and attention and dedication by people when they jump can keep it a very damn safe sport, considering what it is we do. The fact is that most of us do keep it a very safe sport, weekend after weekend and it's just a CHEAP SHOT for anybody to point at the shit that does still happen and tar the whole sport as "unsafe".

If you want 100% safety, well you probably should never have been born and definitely should not skydive. You CAN get killed in this sport. As Sparky says, none of us are good enough, or ever will be, not to be killed doing this. But there's a lot that we can do, and that most of us do every weekend, so that the result is that in fact very godamned few of us do get killed or seriously hurt.

This is an adventure sport, with higher risks than lawn croquet. You will have to reach some kind of internal peace with yourself over the possibility that you might get killed. But if you keep your eye on the ball it isn't likely and I have to say bullshit to all this talk about the sport "not being safe", when the numbers say it IS remarkably safe - and it's about fucking time that a few of the people on these weenie forums got behind OUR sport and at least say that it IS at least pretty damned safe after all !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Many years ago I worked on the pilot episode for a proposed television show called The Risk Factor. I examined risk in our lives, in one section they looked at three people in their daily environment, A man who cycled to his job in a bank, a parachute tester and a policeman. The audience were asked to vote who ran the greatest risk of injury or death through their job. Obviously about 90% went for the test jumper.

Then they got actuaries (smart mathematicians who work for insurance companies who deal in probabilities) to analyze and calculate who was most at risk. Well you may have guessed it, The guy who cycled to work, followed by the policeman, then the jumper. They based it on statistical analysis and probability.

It has been my observation that most jumpers I know, always use a seat belt in a vehicle (including taxis), do not jump to play some form of death dodging and on the whole with the usual exception of 'the cavalier and the crazy which we see in all walks of life, are very sensible, responsible people.

I think it is wonderful that the threads and views expressed on this site validate that, but I agree with tbrown, that everything we do carries a risk, skydiving is no different, it is a measured risk, which the participants do everything they can to manage safely and responsibly.

I believe everyone who ever jumps made a conscious choice to do it, fighting against self doubt and natural fear in many cases, for the majority the one jump experience is enough. Some go on, the others tick that box and go in search of the next experience. The rest of us fall in love with the sport, the comradeship, the late night beers, the tales of "No Shit I was there" tales around the bar.

the final responsibility as to making a jump has to be our own no one can or should ever 'talk you into it', they can encourage reassure and empathize but nothing in life is without risk.

Whilst researching the television show The Risk Factor, we looked at the five most common ways of accidental death in the home. If I went through them now I am sure some for would never handle a sharp knife, and electrical appliance, only eat liquidized food, live in a building without stairs or ever take a bath again.

So their is a risk associated with skydiving as with all things, but to classify it as dangerous, is misleading. I agree with tbrown if skydiving was that damn dangerous I wouldn't do it either.

To NWFlyer who posted the original thread, no amount of statistical analysis will convince you ( it didn't convince me) but my desire to fly did. I have come to realize that at the end of our lives we do not regret our failures, we regret the things we wished fo but didn't do.

I had cancer 20 years ago and as I lay on my hospital bed it was my regrets that bugged me, so If you want to jump heed all the good advice, hang out in a DZ for a few weekends talk to jumpers and instructors ( they will al be helpful) talk to other tandem students, and if after that you are not sure, then cash in the voucher, and perhaps another day.

"The older I get the better I was"

Well said, Tom, and you're definitely preaching to the choir. I spent more time in the hospital and in rehab because I was doing a "safe" every day activity (crossing the street in a crosswalk with the light) than most skydivers will ever spend in the hospital and rehab due to skydiving.

My statement (and I would guess the statement of others who say it) is directed at the people you mention - those who really do let ego get above common sense, or, those who don't appreciate how much we have to *respect* the sport to make it as safe as it is (for example, people who don't learn about and respect their gear, people who don't learn from those who've made mistakes ahead of them, people who don't keep up their training and awareness of emergency procedures, etc....). If those people start believing this sport is "safe" then we're in trouble.

Same goes for newbies. I don't think we should ever send anyone into a blind panic about the risks of this sport, but at the same time, they need to develop a strong sense of personal responsibility early, and that, to me, means fully understanding what choices and actions *can* make this sport less safe. I applaud people like the original poster who are making an effort to learn about the sport so they can make an informed decision about whether it's right for them (though I do hope that she will spend more time learning about it at her local dropzone than online, at least for a while!). It's nice to be able to provide an informed counterbalance to media hype about this sport. Ultimately, we all have to make our own decisions about what types of risk we are willing to face, and some people will never look at skydiving as an acceptable additional risk.

I think we're more on the same page than not, Tom.