tkhayes

Parachute rubber stamp?

Where do the small parachute rubber stamps I often see stamped on money come from?

Most any city will have a few office supply stores and small shops that will make them to order. Some of them only do text but some can put pretty much anything you want on the stamp. Look in the Yellow Pages under "rubber stamps". You might also check at hobby and craft stores.

It is time for us to do the same with our $$ to show the locals the currency that goes through the place.

I've heard a story of a shop owner in Houston who stamped all the cash that came through her shop for a similar reason. After a few months, a nice man from the local Federal Reserve came by and asked her to stop, as they'd had to replace several tens of thousands of dollars worth of bills for the local banks. She didn't get in trouble, but it did help show how much money was coming through her store.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I've heard a story of a shop owner in Houston who stamped all the cash that came through her shop for a similar reason. After a few months, a nice man from the local Federal Reserve came by and asked her to stop, as they'd had to replace several tens of thousands of dollars worth of bills for the local banks. She didn't get in trouble, but it did help show how much money was coming through her store.

Eule

She's lucky she didn't get in trouble...

Anyway, at any DZ, I wonder how much "cash" is actually used other then say the gear store or gee-dunk... I'd expect that most jumps are paid for with check or credit card??

Eule

She's lucky she didn't get in trouble...

Anyway, at any DZ, I wonder how much "cash" is actually used other then say the gear store or gee-dunk... I'd expect that most jumps are paid for with check or credit card??

I read a while back that writing on currency was in fact protected speech.

I read a while back that writing on currency was in fact protected speech.

I suppose one could make that arguement and I could see where there would be circumstances where I'd agree, while I'd also say that there would be circumstances where I'd disagree... I suppose I was assuming (I know, possibly a bad thing) that this gal who owned what ever shop it happened to be was stamping money going through her place with something that was akin to being an "advertisement" for her business. I can see where the Fed would get a bit "ouchy" about that and my personal feeling on that, if that's the specific in this cae, is that it would be disconsiderate of other on part her to do so... but *shurgs* I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what the real "legality" of it all is.

Also... free speech and all withstanding... I'd venture to say, its still up to the Fed and the Fed alone whether or not to take a bill out of circulation for what ever reason. In other words, even if you "win" the arguement that you can stamp any paper bill that comes through your business with what-not, I doubt you'd get far trying to tell the Fed they have to keep the bill in circulation for X-amount of time. Heck, what's the point anyways? Isn't the average time a paper bill is in circulation like 6 months anyway before it is deemed too "worn"??

Where do the small parachute rubber stamps I often see stamped on money come from?

It is time for us to do the same with our $$ to show the locals the currency that goes through the place.

TK

Hi TK

When we used to go to z-hills we stocked up on brand new sequential numbered $2 bills and stamped ea one with a parachute ot twin otter. The locals loved them.:)
Me thinks the sunshine factory, square one etc, can get the stamps for you

We learned this trick from Mr Franc Bender who stamped all of his money on skydiving, trips Z-hills included.

FWIW new $2 bills or $20 bills can be ordered from customer friendly banks.Turnaround time is usually a couple of weeks.B|

R.I.P.

I suppose I was assuming (I know, possibly a bad thing) that this gal who owned what ever shop it happened to be was stamping money going through her place with something that was akin to being an "advertisement" for her business.

As I understand it, she was using a a plain triangle stamp and pink ink - nothing specific to her shop on it.

Isn't the average time a paper bill is in circulation like 6 months anyway before it is deemed too "worn"??

Depends on the bill. $100 bills last a lot longer than ones; I think I've heard the 6-month figure for $1 bills as well. In other countries with sane currency units (in other words, it doesn't cost you 10,000 whatevers to buy a can of Coke), the smallest paper bill is often a 5 or 10, and everything smaller than that is coins, partly because the coins last much longer.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.