BannanaGirl

Got my A licence and first chop!

I have had one strange weekends adventures in the sky.

First jump I did was my Cat 8. Shame it was a rubbish skydive, I was all over the show so I sealed the occasion with a muppet skydive. Oh well.:S

Next jump was my first real Hop N Pop which was just as strange and funky but I have to admit REALLY good fun.:)
My last jump was a wicked skydive, totally went how I wanted it to. I was thinking at this point I totally rock! Then I had to chop. I am not going to go into the specifics of it and what happened as I am more happy about my A licence, but I did the right thing, I am alive and I am happy and I love skydiving even more so now and that is all that counts.:)
Considering how hard it was for me to get even through my AFF and I stuck it out I am proud of myself...at last!!!!

I am glad I had a strange one this past weekend as it has made me respect this sport so much more. I now have my A licence, a whole bunch of friends who I want to learn to skydive with and I am just so made up I can now start having some REAL fun!!!!:)

I have had one strange weekends adventures in the sky.

First jump I did was my Cat 8. Shame it was a rubbish skydive, I was all over the show so I sealed the occasion with a muppet skydive. Oh well.:S

Next jump was my first real Hop N Pop which was just as strange and funky but I have to admit REALLY good fun.:)
My last jump was a wicked skydive, totally went how I wanted it to. I was thinking at this point I totally rock! Then I had to chop. I am not going to go into the specifics of it and what happened as I am more happy about my A licence, but I did the right thing, I am alive and I am happy and I love skydiving even more so now and that is all that counts.:)
Considering how hard it was for me to get even through my AFF and I stuck it out I am proud of myself...at last!!!!

I am glad I had a strange one this past weekend as it has made me respect this sport so much more. I now have my A licence, a whole bunch of friends who I want to learn to skydive with and I am just so made up I can now start having some REAL fun!!!!:)

Awesome!

I think one of the best moments in my life was when I got that "A" stamp on my card. I checked the mail with anticipation for a few weeks looking for that license to come!

Time to buy gear!

Here's to you...:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks!

I have'nt actually sent of my docs yet so I guess checking the mail in anticipation is'nt going to work but I went and got my pictures donw straight away monday morning for it! And I am in the process of buying gear.

I have spent money like water on skydiving stuff since I started. Hopefully I will have my own rig by the end of the month. Hopefully!:)

You mean: Can you translate this into EnglishAmerican, please?:D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

it was a rubbish skydive, I was all over the show so I sealed the occasion with a muppet skydive.

Can you translate this into English, please?

She was probibly unhappy with part of the jump. The thing I was told while going through my coached jumps. Is that the total freefall part of a skydive is about 60 seconds. If we cork it in the first 5 we tend to over analyze the first 5 seconds as a look at what went wrong, and we don't look enough at what went right. You jumped, You pulled, you landed. You didn't hurt yourself or anyone else. Sounds like a successful skydive to me.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

it was a rubbish skydive, I was all over the show so I sealed the occasion with a muppet skydive.

Can you translate this into EnglishYank, please?

Muppet is peculiarly English slang, meaning crap, silly, or stupid. Locking your keys in the car would make you a muppet.

Translated:
"Dude, I was like, so out of it that I totally bone-fucked that skydive. Fo' shizzle."

Translated:
"Dude, I was like, so out of it that I totally bone-fucked that skydive. Fo' shizzle."

Ugh I can't believe you said "Fo'shizzle" we should have just told him to check out some Guy Ritchie films. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels will help a little.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Muppet is peculiarly English slang, meaning crap, silly, or stupid. Locking your keys in the car would make you a muppet.

Translated:

Absolutely spot on how that skydive went!!!!!

Put it this way I am going back to stable exits again so I don't bone-fuck half my skydive just because I think it is fun!:S

The "hop N pop" was a "hop N poop" in my case:o:D totally kicked me up the arse and let me know how lazy I have got......already!:S

This is exactly why I am so looking forward to having some company in the air again...keep me on my toes and start trying new things like RW. Hopefully this weekend coming I will start getting a few coaching jumps.:)
Pray for sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|

OK now, it's time to tell us about your chop already, so we can blame somebody:P

That is classified information sir, if I tell you I will have to kill you.:P

well thats no fun, I am curious too as to what happened. .. would be good, so i can learn from your experience.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

OK now, it's time to tell us about your chop already, so we can blame somebody:P

thats alright we will forgive you, know spill:D:D:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Nice work BG, on both counts. Hopefully catch you at the DZ this weekend and share that delicious first-chop :D. Oh and the A-license :D. And a bunch of other :D, for no better reason than "because", and it's great to be alive.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Nice work BG, on both counts. Hopefully catch you at the DZ this weekend and share that delicious first-chop :D. Oh and the A-license :D. And a bunch of other :D, for no better reason than "because", and it's great to be alive.

As if I have not gone about it enough already:S:P.

But yeh...I will be there...beer is stacked up in the back of my car as I speak!B|

That's okay, half the people would probably tell you you "didn't need to " chop it anyway. I'll just believe you needed to and you did a good job of it. And now you know what it's like and don't have to worry about it or wonder what it will be like. Some people have thousands of jumps and have never cutaway - and they even admit they're very nervous about what it will be like when they do. Good job and congrats on your A too ! You sound like you're totally in love with it!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Ok...I will say what happened.

In a nutshell I had a weird feeling on the way up (I thought I would have a cutaway basically), got out had an awesome skydive like I said.

When I opened it was a weird opening that seemed to take ages and when I looked up the slider was up and my right toggle had fired and wrapped itself around the lines well out of my reach. It was well and truly stuck.:o

At this point I said a few swear words and stuff as I was slowly turning, so I tried to pull down on the rear riser to counter the turn and see if I had any kind of control over it at which point the slider came slamming down and the toggle wrapped up in the lines went through the grommet and was gone forever. Again I tried to see what control I had using the rear risers.

We had a deep spot as well and I could not see the DZ and turning you can lose you orientation. I felt the canopy was not controllable enough for landing let alone try and steer the thing away from a road, tree, powerlines blah blah blah.

I knew by this point I was at 2k, checked my alti to confirm and I made the decision to get rid of it.

I had twists on my reserve opening but as soon as I got out of them I saw the DZ and I just motored it over there and actually was one of the only people to get back to the DZ from my lift!

Yes, at first I wondered if I had done the right thing as I did have a big fully inflated canopy above my head and I was now getting onto my last chance but I made a decision based on my training and everyone says I did 100% the right thing and I handled the situation correctly and calmly.

I am glad it has happened in a way as it has made me look at my reasons for doing this and if I am prepared to really except the results of an error in my judgement or a malfunction or as you guys say an act of god. I also trust myself more and I would never second guess myself in a similar situation.

And yes! I LOVE skydiving even if I spent the whole weekend on a social drinking beer instead of jumping!!!!! More money for next weekend!!!!!!!!!:)

I felt the canopy was not controllable enough for landing let alone try and steer the thing away from a road, tree, powerlines blah blah blah.

That says it all right there. I agree you should be praised, and not criticized, for choosing not to land that canopy. You're still a novice jumper. Once you're under canopy, nobody in the world is responsible for landing yourself safely other than you. You assessed the situation, decided the canopy didn't pass the controllability check in your estimation, all things considered - and your experience as a canopy pilot is certainly an important factor to consider - and acted.
Good job, I say.