fxstudio

Class 3 Medical and Anti-Depressents

The FAA does not allow pilots, etc to take anti-depressants and still fly.

Does that mean that its not done? No, I'm sure its done all the time.

Here's the down side, lets say that something happens while you're acting as a TI and a student gets hurt and/or killed. The fact that you take anti-depressants will be found out and that will leave you open to serious lawsuit action. Especially since you have to possess a Class 3 and you're not supposed to be on that medication according to the FAA.

Is it right?

I don't think so, I would much rather see someone who is acting in that capacity getting help, then just trying to tough it out.

Oh, btw, I was on Celexia for a while before I got my TI rating, I understand the things surrounding its prescription, its use and side effects.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The FAA medical branch have issued waivers for all kind of bizarre shit. They call it "a waiver of demonstrated ability". Parapalegics,one eye pilots-but when you admit to using ANY antidepressant drug of any kind you are DISQUALIFIED-period. Even though the lack of side effects of the SSRI drug,zoloft,paxil and prozac etc. have been known and documented for years. The applications are disclosure documents-I'm sure plenty lie about it and genereally the only way the FAA finds about about it is after the toxicology comes back from your autopsy. They make you jump through even more hoops to get your second class(every year) and even more for your first class(every 6 months)required for Airline Transport Pilot certificate(ATP).
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

"a waiver of demonstrated ability".

I really have little to add here, except to say that it is a SODA, statement of demonstrated ability.

As for the question about medical certs, it has nothing to do with being a pilot or anything. It is just a physical which the FAA uses to determine if a certain person is medically cleared for various activities that they regulate; whether flying, airshipping, or being a tandem instructor.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

The FAA medical branch have issued waivers for all kind of bizarre shit. They call it "a waiver of demonstrated ability". Parapalegics,one eye pilots-but when you admit to using ANY antidepressant drug of any kind you are DISQUALIFIED-period. Even though the lack of side effects of the SSRI drug,zoloft,paxil and prozac etc. have been known and documented for years. The applications are disclosure documents-I'm sure plenty lie about it and genereally the only way the FAA finds about about it is after the toxicology comes back from your autopsy. They make you jump through even more hoops to get your second class(every year) and even more for your first class(every 6 months)required for Airline Transport Pilot certificate(ATP).

Hi Argon

Just a guess but I think if the right/wrong people wanted to find out what kind of meds your taking all "they" gotta do is check with your medical insurance company to find out what kind of drugs they've been paying for.

I think your medical records are supposed to be private but if they want/need them there's a paper trail. Damn computers!

OTOH if you pay your own medical bills (cash) for certain things you might have a chance of no one finding out.

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

Yes, governments are silly in that respect.
If you lie about your drinking problem, you can renew your medical.
However, if you admit to a drinking problem, you lose your medical.
Who would you rather fly with: a full-blown drunk - who lies to the government - or a recovering alcoholic?

Yes, governments are silly in that respect.
If you lie about your drinking problem, you can renew your medical.
However, if you admit to a drinking problem, you lose your medical.
Who would you rather fly with: a full-blown drunk - who lies to the government - or a recovering alcoholic?

No shit!! Just think how many airline Captains are out there depressed and won't take meds or get help because they are worried about losing their medical.As far as the previous posts-yep,those damn computers and paper trails can get you if they were to check. Privacy laws,patient doctor priveledge usually do keep you safe--question is-do you feel lucky?
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL