davelepka

What the fuck, people?

and it almost happened to me last weekend...

my buddy was well aware of what I was doing started his turn and then realized that we were about to collide and slowed his turn hit my burble but still made it out of it and landed....

I personally had no idea that it was happening...

this is the problem with right hand 270s in a left hand pattern...

you are turning back into the pattern blind...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

you are turning back into the pattern blind...

It's a problem of not clearing your airspace before turning. Regardless of the turn direction you will ALWAYS have a blind spot.

Look before you hook.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

You won't learn anything from an accident by reading about it and concluding, "Well duh, don't jump shitty gear." or "Well duh, don't stab a toggle 50ft off the ground." You learn something from an accident by understanding what the person didn't do prior to or during every single jump that would have prevented it.

Agreed - and you also have to WANT to learn - not just from the mistakes of others, but even one's own mistakes.

The closest I have come to the hospital club was on a demo - my 3rd (last summer) when I got caught out by the winds on my base leg and decided I had to turn 180 hard so as not to violate the crowd line... at oh, about 100ft! I walked away from it because I was on a Triathlon 160, I dug out like my legs depended on it (they did) and I was lucky. That's all.

But the real lesson for me was not 'Don't turn 180s at 100ft' - I know that already! It was more about thinking far enough ahead not to put myself in the position of having to make snap judgements about whether to risk hurting myself, or hurting a spectator. But thinking that lesson through to learn it took a little more time and effort and I am not convinced that every jumper out there would take that time to think about what just happened.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

yeah I checked, it was a cae of blue parachute against the sky and the higher guy deciding to go even after he saw me, at least he was aware

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

yeah I checked, it was a cae of blue parachute against the sky and the higher guy deciding to go even after he saw me, at least he was aware

So you were the low man and he turned anyway and had a close call? Sounds to me like he was at fault more than you. Spotting canopies that blend into other objects is always a huge problem. I'd ask him not to repeat the performance :)
Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

You won't learn anything from an accident by reading about it and concluding, "Well duh, don't jump shitty gear." or "Well duh, don't stab a toggle 50ft off the ground." You learn something from an accident by understanding what the person didn't do prior to or during every single jump that would have prevented it.

This bears repeating. It's damn good advice.

I really dislike all blue/grey/green canopies

Even green? What's a good color?

Dark greens can hide well against trees on a dark day. Yellow/Orange/Red/Pink are much better at being visible. I don't think every cell needs to be bright, but I think at least one or two should be.

...it was a case of blue parachute against the sky...

I really dislike all blue/grey/green canopies. They can be bloody hard to spot, especially on a gloomy day.

I just ordered myself a nice bright orange canopy :-)

Dave

Bright Orange top and bottom skins with purple in the center cells. Crossfire 2 129. BRAND NEW, and anyone can spot me! I need to be on my best behavior, as they will always know it is one of two jumpers on the DZ.B|
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

copy & paste form the base-forum:

1) We continue to fail to learn by the lessons of our predecessors.
2) Our enthusiasm far outstrips our skill level
3) These trends continue to accelerate
4) Very few will absorb 1-3 this time...as is the norm.

Next verse, same as the first.

We have forgotten the basics in favor of less appropriate, more ostensibly impressive skills.

Two mantras that aid the quest for the perfect score.
1) Keep it Simple, Stupid!
2) Execute the basics flawlessly.

The bit when you schlare the tarp is kind of critical. From the point at which your start to pack your canopy you are preparing for this moment. How strange that the instant foot and earth are reunited has become an arcane and forgotten detail in favor stunts such as not packing at all. I believe the reason for this is threefold...the new school is too impatient to pack and too scared of freefall and the old school is too worried about being seen to be left behind by the kids.

There is nothing less BASE and more crap than jumps without purity (unpacked shit) and not being able to land on a dime no matter where it is placed.

guess that sums it all up pretty well :|
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

But the real lesson for me was not 'Don't turn 180s at 100ft' - I know that already! It was more about thinking far enough ahead not to put myself in the position of having to make snap judgements about whether to risk hurting myself, or hurting a spectator. But thinking that lesson through to learn it took a little more time and effort and I am not convinced that every jumper out there would take that time to think about what just happened.

This is exactly what I was referring to, thank you for your example.

Gear issues? Emergency procedures? Get in the habit of checking your gear and touching your handles every jump.

Low turns? Get in the habit of opening, making sure your immediate airspace is clear, and right away choosing a spot to land and a flight plan to get you there on every jump.

Canopy collisions? Get in the habit of locating all the canopies sharing the sky with you on every jump. (I jump at multi-otter dropzones, and my vision isn't even all that good, and somehow I manage)

Freefall collisions? Break-off issues? Whether you're organizing the jump or just taking part, get in the habit of watching skydive plans as they come together on every jump. If you have concerns about your ability to be on the skydive safely, or someone else's ability to be on the skydive safely, say something. If you notice the dive flow or break-off plan starts to accumulate "if"s, "and"s, "or"s, or "but"s, say something.

All this said and done, can "shit happen"? Absolutely. But wouldn't you rather die of a spinning line-over on your reserve and crashing into a poisonous cactus than from hooking it in under your main?