outlawphx

Wingsuits are so yesterday...

Practically the only real action behind enemy lines was that of MACV-SOG on VIETNAM and Rhodesian SAS on the bush war 1970-80 in Mozambique, and were only HALO operations ....the majority of which were unsuccessful.

You might want to check with the US Spec. Ops. teams that have been doing successful ops. into Afghanistan and Iraq in support of Coalition forces for the past few years before you post such a broad statement.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Operations in Afghanistan and Iraq could never be compared with MACV-SOG operations in Laos and North Vietnam.
U.S.AIR FORCE flew and fly anywhere in Afghanistan and Iraq without detected and without opposition.
U.S.Army helicopters can leave and recover Special Forces teams anywhere in these two regions.
Where were the enemy lines in Afghanistan or Iraq???
There was report for HALO-HAHO operations in north Iraq where the population was totally friendly in U.S invasion and Kurdish rebels have total control and were trained by U.S Special Forces operators, months before the invasion.
In Afghanistan the majority of Special Forces Operators, were operate in conjunction with Northern Alliance teams, and guide U.S.Air Force strikes with Laser pods.
The only real HALO/HAHO operations BEHIND ENEMY LINES were those of MACV-SOG in VIETNAM and Rhodesian SAS on Mozambique.
Why these operations went wrong????? There are many reasons.
In the case of MACV-SOG there was always information leakage before any of the 5 combat HALO jumps conducted in this era. There was much talk about a mysterious (never found) MACV-SOG South Vietnamese operator (traitor) that was passing information on communist VIETCONG.
There was always North Vietnamese rebels waiting on various possible landing zones of
HALO team!!!!
There was always more than 40 North Vietnam operational radar and various ground to-air missile positions and 1000sands of antiaircraft guns.
North Vietnam Air Force had more than 240 operational MiG 17-19-21 interceptors (Supplied by USSR).
The weather Conditions were the worst, many times during the jumps start raining…
The landing zones were very small and too difficult to locate even were mainly HALO jumps and not HAHO.
There is no comparison between the Combat HALO jumps conducted by MACV-SOG in Vietnam era and anything else. Those were real HALO-HAHO jumps BEHIND enemy lines for the main purpose of HALO-HAHO operations who is the Long Range Recon Patrol behind enemy lines.
Helicopter proved that is much safer method to infiltrate and recover LRRP teams.

The guy in teh pic is wearing a tandem rig. Maybe some equip or a ruck will get fastened to the attachment points.

I doubt that is a tandem rig he is wearing.All Military HALO rigs have those attachement points for equipment, it's standard.

It looks to me as if the main deployment would have to be modified somehow. Maybe a ripcord?

Again, all military HALO rigs(MC series) are deployed with an outboard facing main ripcord handle located roughly at nipple level.

Not discounting what was done in Vietnam by any means, however, I have first hand knowledge of a few combat HALO operations that have sucessfully happened since then in different parts of the world.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

A friend of mine that I jump with on occasion was with SOG, Cliff Newman, and did make one of the few operational jumps during the Viet Nam era. It would be hard to call it a HALO/HAHO jump as is known today. The ram air parachute was in its infancy as were piggy back rigs. Much has changed in the last 40 years.

I do know for a fact that jumps were made in to Afghanistan, into areas controlled by the enemy. These jumps were made using military HALO/HAHO rigs with the landings at elevations as high as 6,000 + MSL. As for the strategy calling for this type of tactic I could only guess but it is my understanding that they did contribute to the success of the overall mission
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If it can be done with one person one time over the english channel with no baggage, why can't it be improved?

Yeah, all you have to do is watch the video of FB over the Channel to be convinced... oh, hang on. Well, look at the GPS track/baro data... er, OK, an exit photo......

John

Ok, thanks guys, maybe I haven't got at this moment much information about HAHO/HALO operations on Iraq and Afghanistan.
In next years we learn more about U.S, British, Canadian, Polish and Australian Special Forces operation on Afghanistan and Iraq, through Special Forces operations normally kept secret, until some veteran release some book with war memories.
Maybe there was and one successful U.S HALO operation in Panama Channel in 1986 under enemy fire.
But still I believe that Helicopter is the best Special Forces tool, even HALO/HAHO technique in some very specific occasions is preferable.
As for the SKY RAY with Jet engines, again I believe that will pass a long time before these wings be affordable and can be used successfully by Skydivers and military jumpers.
But we can’t compare it with wingsuit flying………because is a rigid wing machine, is like flying a Glider….??just my opinion

I don't think anyone post this link yet.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3887

or

http://www.skydivingmovies.com and do a search for Phoenix-Fly Wingsuit Weekend @ Empuriabrava.

looks like fun.

-=+ Skyliber, Disynthegrate, & Nucleaire +=-