DroptheMan04

License E & F?

Can I ask why you have over 100 jumps and no licence?

I'm guessing that some of those jumps could be static line in military service? Expecially as time in sport is 23 years.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Isn't the E license a restricted license? For when a jumper possesses some disability [or limitation otherwise] that prevents them from reasonably completing a particular requirement for a standard license, but are able to complete everything else? Or am I making this up?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I can check my log books to get an exact number for you but I do believe that I did not have my first license until I was well over 200 jumps and was forced to get one because I started working at a DZ.

I knocked out all 3 tests and my first license was the C.

This was a few years before the proficiency card and all that jazz.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Some people just don't care about the license thing, are in no rush and the DZ they usually jump at let's them jump w/o a license as long as they are cleared to solo jump.

I've met 3 people who had ~150, ~300 and ~600 before going straight to a D (the latter two). I didn't get my A until about jump 60.

I always hear about License A-D, but E and F? What does those 2 license do and require skills?

Check the profiles of people with E and F licences and you'll find they generally come from one country. It starts with A and isn't America.;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I skipped my A-license because once I had gear I'd be B-qualified within a month. I skipped the B because once I had my water training it would only be a couple months for the C. People didn't seem to mind too much at the dropzones in my state, so I figured I'd just wait for a D. With a couple hundred jumps and no real problems at boogies I pretty much forgot about it. The currency rules for non-licensed skydivers are stricter, although in nine years I never went more than three weeks between jumps (my jumping streak was broken after I herniated a disc sneezing. Oops.).

I was going to get a pro-rating to jump into my wedding, although the parks manager veto'd that idea and I passed.

After 10 years, I decided to move to another state where no one knew me, and figured having my D-license might save some hassles.

I'm guessing that some of those jumps could be static line in military service? Expecially as time in sport is 23 years.

Nope no jumps in military service, I've been a DZ Brat since I was 3. I'm now 26 (so three from twenty-six is.... well you get the point.) I actually did my first Tandem Jump last year with Art at the Hog Flop in Palatka. Started AFF on Christmas Eve and have done 100+ jumps since. (I'm definately hooked!!!:P) Anyway I answered CSpence in a PM to let him know what's going on. But to wrap it all up I've been really lazy about taking the tests.[:/] But i'm studying this week and next and am going to knock them out in 2 weeks.:P;)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Isn't the E license a restricted license? For when a jumper possesses some disability [or limitation otherwise] that prevents them from reasonably completing a particular requirement for a standard license, but are able to complete everything else? Or am I making this up?

:D :D :D

nothing to see here

I have 700 and something jumps... and no license. The only reason I might get it one, is so I can get some ratings. But until then, I have no plans on getting it either. The real kicker, I was D qualified before they changed the numbers... ;)

maybe in albania or something... IIRC, if you are disabled and can't get a license normally, you can get a restricted license. it has an R in the license to let people know. like A-55555r

MB 3528, RB 1182

Ok, let the debate begin.

USPA long ago chose to have licences go only to D. That was in the days when 200 jumps and a D was an impossible goal for most. So qualifying for a D was a huge thing.

But over past 10 years or so, it's become less of a big deal and these days everyone who has even half a motivation to continue the sport can expect to qualify for a D.

Australia's APF (Aus Parachute Federation) has always gone two steps further - with an E and F.

Qualification for E: to qualify for a D (similar quals as USPA), have 500 freefall jumps, have 20 jumps landing within 1m.

F is: to qualify for an E, 1000 freefall jumps, 20 landings within 0.5 m, 20 consecutive nominated (to the CI) landings within 5m, a night jump.

It's the 20 consecutive jumps that are difficult for many people. I blew it twice - first time on the 17th and second time on the 18th. Talk about frustrating!!!! Yes, that means you go back to number one. This meant I did not get an F until 7 or 8 years after I had made my thousandth jump. I believe this is similar for many other F licence qualifyers.

But at least here in Oz, anyone with either an E of F is known to have gone through a much more stringent and difficult process than a D.

My personal opinion is that an E and F license, similar to what the APF has, is a very good system.

Blue Skies, fergs

I agree with you, and I'm expecting the F licence jumps to be bloody hard.

It's worth noting, for our overseas friends, that a CI is a Chief Instructor and has overall responsibility for a DZ. They also sign off on licence applications and such.

maybe in albania or something... IIRC, if you are disabled and can't get a license normally, you can get a restricted license. it has an R in the license to let people know. like A-55555r

Aye, I just sorted out where I got my funky idea from, too. Whoosh.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Canada had an E licence until a few years back when all the licences were redone as part of an international restructuring of licences -- D licences started to require 500 jumps, not 200, that sort of thing.

Our Canadian E licence seemed to be just a "fun" licence as it didn't offer any benefits, other than an exemption from Sporting Licence fees. Some of the qualifications did require a well rounded skydiver, such as having to have an advanced instructor rating, and the basic rigger rating. Other qualifications were a little wacky: Like one jump using an oxygen system in freefall, and 5 water jumps!

In the end only about a dozen people ever jumped through all the hoops to get the "E". Although the licence is no longer issued, those with it get to keep it.

as it didn't offer any benefits, other than an exemption from Sporting Licence fees.

Over the course of a long jumping career that could be a hell of a benefit!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

sounds like the requirement for an e is pretty similar to the requirement for a D in the uk, thousand jumps, landings etc

I think the only licence you need landings for is the B in the UK. Under D lic requirements in the ops manual it just says FAI C + 1000 jumps.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think the only licence you need landings for is the B in the UK. Under D lic requirements in the ops manual it just says FAI C + 1000 jumps.

Exactly. You just need to have been around for a while to get a BPA D (Red)

You don't need to :
- have done anything more than a 4-point 4-way (once)
- have any night or water jumps
- have landed within 10m of a target consecutively more than 5 times (they've updated that a little now)
- know anything about minimum visibility requirements, all sorts of air law
- have ever spotted an aircraft more than once
- be able to pack

You just need to have been around a long time... :S (unless you go abroad where the weather's better! ;))
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13