AEsco48

Footwear with ankle support...

If you want some support you might check these out...

http://www.metropolitanuniform.com/browse.cfm/4,659.html

http://www.copshoes.com/c-tactical-boots.html

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/big-id-3-shbgid-5992.html

But the question of boots for skydivers is kind of like helmets for regular driving. Sure it would be better in some circumstances, but most jumpers would rather not wear the extra protection routinely.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I see in a lot of the videos people wear "vans" style shoes that offer zero ankle support....

Ideally you do want footwear that goes above the ankle and offers some type of support in case of a not so great landing...?

No, how fast can you run with ankle support? Jumping rounds people wore ankle support, jumping modern canopies people tend not to wear ankle support because they have to "run" out the landings. There are a bunch of threads on this topic, try doing a search and you'll find a whole host of discussions on it.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I like to wear something that doesn't impead sliding cause I do a whole lot of that when I am landing. I wear comfortable shoes because its not a big deal I guess. It would do more harm than good on 99.9% of the jumps that I make to wear some kind of boot. As for like hightops or something like that... meh. I wear vans as my every day shoe so... I'm just used to em.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've badly sprained both of my ankles over the years and torn ligaments on both also but only once skydiving. But because of these injuries I have weak ankles and so now I use ankle braces on both on every jump. There are some nice ones out there that your shoes will slip right over. So I get the traction of my tennis shoes but still have my support. Check the selection at Walmart. Cant remember the brand but they are black in color and consist of elastic and velcro. They work great.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I've had this conversation with some much more experienced folks before.

If you don't need ankle support to walk normally you shouldn't plan on using it during a jump because any change in the normal function of your foot/ankles will affect the way you land.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I wear the GSG9 SWAT boots (ankle supported), and until this morning, loved them. This morning I attempted my first "sorta" swoop, and the heel caught. Fortunately my first swoop wasn't nearly as fast as I hope it ends up, because I biffed it on my side. If I'd have been wearing Vans or something like that, the shoe would have worked with me. (dirt landing field, no grass):$ I've worn my GS9s for years on a paraglider, been a great boot. Maybe not for skydiving, tho.

That's the old, and better model.
Today, they're VERY hard to find, have a ribbed bottom for rappeling, with a rope twist in the mid-sole.
My old ones wore out, like an idiot I gave them away. New ones suck, no leather on them at all, and the sole is very rough, much like a Vibram sole. I like the support, but hate the "grip."

My ankles are jacked up! I wear Vans with a figure 8 brace or DM's (Dr.Martins). As for being able to run, if you think vans are good shoes to run in well....
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

If you look at the size chart, you'll see that nothing is available for the "average" size foot. Nothing in a 8.5-11. Adidas customer support claims they had more demand than they had supply, hence the newer model.
I'd *love* to find the old model in my size. If you got a hookup for a 9.5...I'm all over it.:)

Questions... i got told once that boots are not a good idea for FS in particular, because they prevent you being able to point your feet properly and thus retard both decent turns as well as tracking.

2nd question... as I HAVE broken ankles in this sport... i asked my doc about ankle support and he said... depends on what you wear, but a brace for example won't prevent a break, & something harder than a brace may simply transmit the energy (of the impact) higher and break the bone further up. (I can see how it might prevent a sprain though)

Any comments on either point?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I like the ankle support, but I've got pins n' screws in both ankles...The DZO here wears an ankle brace on every jump. Your doctor has a very good point as well. The Adidas boots we're referring too have very soft ankle support, nothing really stiff. I don't have any issues tracking at all.

Questions... i got told once that boots are not a good idea for FS in particular, because they prevent you being able to point your feet properly and thus retard both decent turns as well as tracking.

Like I posted earlier, I would only were the GSG9s for testing and demos. On RW jumps I would wear tennis shoes or sandals.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Like I posted earlier, I would only were the GSG9s for testing and demos. On RW jumps I would wear tennis shoes or sandals.

to be pedantic, you left out the "only" in the earlier post :P but thanks for the clarification :)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I have torn ligaments in both ankles from past sports and skydiving... Multiple times. At first during the healing process I wore lace up figure 8 braces. Then went to a soft support upon reccomendation of my orthopedist. Well, a few weeks later spained an ankle again in a soft brace. I now wear the lace ups both ankles, all jumps. My tracking is great, I find with both ankles braced, I'm more symmetrical. I track from tilting in my hips.. works great. As for increased breaks with supports, it's an urban legend. I see a spots medicine doctor a couple times a month, and he says not possible. Running out landings are fine, just land heels first! The lace ups that are afforable, and quality are McDavid's, sports Authority carries them in stock.

I play soccer with one of these on http://www.diamondathletic.com/product.php?txtCatID=17&txtProdID=1081.

It doesn't impede my running, and isn't so stiff that energy will be transmitted up the leg. Its just a little support to impede an impending sprain. (translated it will help arrest the motion that would cause a sprain.) That isn't to say that you can't sprain your ankle with it on. Just not as likely.

Though still a little bulky I find it less so than the oldere aircasts.

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.