kirrz

Skydiving & the flu

I've got a blocked nose, sore throat, a bit of a cough. I am able to do things fine, my body is just a bit annoying at the moment. I hate being sick!

I really really want to jump tomorrow. Can I still jump? What is the worst (or some of the things) that can happen if I do? I have no clue about all things biology.

Will the answer be different for low altitude hop and pops (4000,3000)?

Cheers!

I've got a blocked nose, sore throat, a bit of a cough. I am able to do things fine, my body is just a bit annoying at the moment. I hate being sick!

I really really want to jump tomorrow. Can I still jump? What is the worst (or some of the things) that can happen if I do? I have no clue about all things biology.

Will the answer be different for low altitude hop and pops (4000,3000)?

Cheers!

Question is do you like having perforated ear drums and blow out sinus cavities?

Yeah, it's really really hard to stay on the ground when you're starting out but it's probably not a good idea.

If you do decide to jump, load up on pseudophed (the real stuff they keep behind the counter, not that fake stuff out front). It'll help with the blockage.

[If you do decide to jump, load up on pseudophed (the real stuff they keep behind the counter, not that fake stuff out front). It'll help with the blockage.

You can't get Sudafed with pseudoephedrine in NSW, Australia any more.

I'm going to see the doctor in an hour or so.. do you know what kind of stuff I should ask him to prescribe?

Not really, no. Sorry.

Explain to him that you'll be de-pressurising over the space of 15-20 miin, then repressuring quickly.

Jumping congested can be very painful, this I know from experience and it can be dangerous - do a search, there has been a lot of discussion on this topic.

If you have to wait a week or two till you can jump safely, gravity will still be working when you are cleared up, and the jump will be more intense with a little break –

fun fun fun!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

load up on pseudophed (the real stuff they keep behind the counter, not that fake stuff out front).

Did anyone else find the irony in this statement?

Sorry off-topic, but it always amuses me.

Real pseudoephedrine. Sorry again. ;)
----------------------------------------
6.8% - Almost there!

You are going to be sitting in close quarters with other skydivers giving them the flu. I don't think they'll be thanking you really?

I'm glad someone brought this up. You see this happen quite often too, some jumper or student shows up kinda sick. Then you sit in the plane with them, in close quarters for 15-30 minutes, of course everyone does their little pre-exit DZ-specific handshake too. Then midweek you hear that a couple of other jumpers may not be out that next weekend because now their sick too.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You are going to be sitting in close quarters with other skydivers giving them the flu. I don't think they'll be thanking you really?

Just something else to consider.

Ahhh you're right! I didn't even think of that. I guess I'll just have to stay home, take every vitamin I have and try to speed up the recovery as much as I can.

Biaxin XL and a very strong decongestant. (can't remember what they gave me, but basically turned my nose gunk into sand - big blue pill)

I swear, I felt like I was going to die 1 day before a big climbing trip that I had planned for months, but the next day I was almost 100%. Don't let them give you that shitty Z-pack, the most over/incorrectly prescribed anti-biotic on earth.

But ignore what I did and just stay home and drink some soup.;)

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I'm pretty sure I did this once. I was OK in the air, but once I got on the ground I felt TERRIBLE.

You know how sometimes when you have a virus parts of your skin become sensitive to the touch? (Leading to the relationship-hurting "Don't touch me!" moment.) Well, under canopy my pants and shirt went flap-flap-flap-flap-flap against pretty much the entire back half of my body, so after I got to the ground my skin decided to let me know, in very clear terms, that it did not appreciate being touched all that much all over for 3 straight minutes. B|

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Ahhh you're right! I didn't even think of that. I guess I'll just have to stay home, take every vitamin I have and try to speed up the recovery as much as I can.

Saturday and Sunday sucked anyway. Monday was the only day you would have been able to get into the air...

Saturday and Sunday sucked anyway. Monday was the only day you would have been able to get into the air...

That is the best news I've heard all week! I'm still sick and it's annoying me.. I just want to jump but after reading a lot of old threads about what can happen I guess I've just gotta sit it out..
:)