Tonto

The Warning label

The labels are there for two categories of people: morons, and defense attorneys.

Speaking of... I think canopy warning labels should say something like:

"This parachute is NOT intended for skydiving purposes."

Not that that'd keep dumbasses from suing for their incompetence and ignorance anyway.
Oh, hello again!

After reading some of the posts in the incident forum over the past week, I'm stunned at how many skydivers simply do not believe what the possible consequences of jumping from an aircraft can be.

A generic warning lable says something like this...

1. Sport parachuting is a hazardous activity that can result in serious injury or death.

2. Parachute systems sometimes malfunction even when they are properly designed, built, assembled, packed, maintained and used. The result of such malfunctions are sometimes serious injury or death.

3. If you use this parachute, or you let somebody else use it, you are acnowledging that sport parachuting is risky and accepting the fact that the parachute system or it's components may malfunction.

4. If you are not willing to accept the risk of sport parachuting or if you are not willing to accept the possibility that your parachute system or it's components may malfunction and perhaps result in you being injured or killed, then you should reconsider your involvement in sport parachuting.

5. Have a nice day!

Does it sound familiar? Do you understand what it means?

t

I have a folding chair that I take to the DZ. It has a "WARNING" tag on it.

I still sit on it even though I know I am taking a risk.

I don't mean to sound harsh but this boo fucking hoo crybaby shit is starting to get old.....

i feel much the same way about warning labels on skydiving equipment as Douglas Adam's fictional character did about operating instructions for toothpicks..

the fact that they seem 'needed' at all depresses what little hope i hold for mankind...

I'd just write a label that says something like, "Even more dangerous than skydiving is what will happen to you or your heirs if you sue us. Big men with tattoos and baseball bats will pay you/them a visit."

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It should've been a "multiple answers allowed" poll. I would've picked the last three. :S Yes, it's there just to "Cover Your Ass". Yes, I don't like to think about it much. Death continues to suck. Yes, I know bad things can and do happen to people I know.

It seems to me that there are always skydivers who do think that jumping is safe. They are generally the people whose DZ hasn't had a serious incident for as long as they've been jumping. When bad things happen to people you know it really makes the possible consequences much more real.

Zenister: Here are the Instructions if you need to brush up a bit...:P

It should've been a "multiple answers allowed" poll. I would've picked the last three. :S Yes, it's there just to "Cover Your Ass". Yes, I don't like to think about it much. Death continues to suck. Yes, I know bad things can and do happen to people I know.

It seems to me that there are always skydivers who do think that jumping is safe. They are generally the people whose DZ hasn't had a serious incident for as long as they've been jumping. When bad things happen to people you know it really makes the possible consequences much more real.

Zenister: Here are the Instructions if you need to brush up a bit...:P

Those instructions are even more detailed than the ones that drove Wonko the Sane to build the asylum!

Matt