adventurechick

Ears and Flying

So ever since I did my high alt. hop n' pop I haven't been able to clear my left ear. I went to the dr. and they did some weird cleaner thing in my ear and that still didn't work, and they gave me medicine to clean it from the inside.

Tomorrow I'm suppose to jump in Deland, but I won't jump unless my ears are clear.

My question is, could I maybe ride up in the airplane and see if it clears on it's own to altitude and just ride the plane down the first time... or will that be harmful to go up in the airplane with one ear that won't pop?

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

Do you have any sinus congestion? Typically when you have an ear on the ground that won't pop, it'll go back to feeling normal as you climb because the outside pressure will reduce to the pressure inside your ear. But unless something happens to clear out the blockage, you'll be right back in the same boat when you're on the ground.

Did you try something as simple as Afrin to clear yourself out?

I'm no doctor but I don't think I would try it.

When I first started jumping I made a skydive with a stuffed up head (allergies). I thought it would be ok if I just took some Sudafed and a hit of nasal spray before the jump. At about 6000 feet my sinuses or something vented (I felt the pressure change) and my nose started bleeding. Ever have a nose bleed at 120 mph. It looked like I had been shot in the head. My goggles were sprayed red and I couldn't see out of them. No permanent damage but it wasn't fun.[:/]
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I make a jump a few weeks ago with a head cold. on the way down my right ear popped. I couldnt get it to clear and well I'm thick headed and just wanted to jump and made 3 more jumps that day. just got worse and worse till I finally had to stop, couldn't take the pain. It took exactly 9 days to clear.

------------------------------------------------
Eat, Drink and Jump for tomorrow we die.....
------------------------------------------------

I made 5 jumps one day with a cold. After the first 2 jumps my ears cleared when I got to the ground. After the 3rd jump my right ear didn't clear at all. I lost nearly 100% of my hearing in my right ear for 2 weeks. Then I only regained 25-35%. This condition lasted for nearly 2 years. Then about a week before my appointment to get a hearing aid it popped and I regained nearly all of my hearing. Bottomline, it isn't worth it. Wait until you've cleared up and can enjoy it.

Hey. You've probably got some inflammation of the tissues around your Eustachian tube which is the tube that links your middle ear with your throat and keeps the pressure equalised on both sides of the ear drum. You probably have a negative pressure in your inner ear (going up on your hop and pop air would have escaped, but now you can't get it back in) and atmospheric pressure is working to keep that tube closed.
Also now, you've probably got some fluid in there which the body will have secreted in response to the inflammation and it can't drain.
It will clear on its own eventually, but you can try speeding it up using systemic decongestants such as Sudafed, or local nasal sprays. Also, keep occasionally trying Valsalva manoeuvres (when you pop your ears by pinching your nose and blowing - like when diving) because you may get some air up the tube and start equalising the pressure.
A ride up to altitude probably wouldn't do much harm, because you'll be getting closer to the actual pressure in your ear (in fact, if you keep trying to clear it as you get higher, it may help...) but I certainly wouldn't go Scuba diving or you may cause some damage.
Hope this helps... :)
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

Oh thank you!!!

If you mess your ears up now your going to be pissed off for the rest of your life. If you miss one weekend of jumping you might be angry for a few days.

Ask yourself what is worse?
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I would'nt risk it either. You risk causing more damage. You will live ot jump another day. Be patient.

Rich (MD)
---------------------------------------
Everything that happens to you in life is your teacher. The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your life and be taught.

It's really irking me! I'm going on 11 days of having a clogged ear... so back to the dr.'s tomorrow.... I have a new rig sitting in my bedroom just itching to be jumped for the ____ time **I can't say the F word or i'll owe beer**

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

I can't say the F word or i'll owe beer

It's not about "Saying" the word, it is more a matter of folowing tradition, sort of an honor thing.

My first year I brought a case every weekend just to cover my ass, the second year I brought a couple kegs just to cover all the first's which all fell apart because I really like to drink with my skydiving friends, so beer beer beer!

It'I have a new rig sitting in my bedroom just itching to be jumped for the FIRST time

Oh yeah, congrats on your new rig, you are going to love it!

Down time will be over before you know it, I have been out for months recovering from a surgery so I know how you feel. Better to sit out a little while then jumping and making matters worse thus keeping you grounded for a longer period of time.

It will pass quickly, hang in there...