Jodans

Newbie with a newbie question.

Ok so I went on the carnival ride. The tandem jump.
Now I am interested in really jumping.
So, pardon me if I start some sort of war here, but what would you guys say is the best route to learning?
AFF, Tandem or static line?
Are there any other options out there?
What are the pros and cons of these training types?
What are your opinions on them?

I want to learn what I need to know to have fun, be safe and live to jump again.

Jodans

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

You show you've done a little homework by stating that you know of different systems. Honnestly, you'll get 6 of one half-dozen of the other responses here.

If you know of the different systems, I say: "To each their own."

Take the one that sounds optimal for YOU... because it will be.

nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I went AFF plus a bit of tunnel time. AFF worked well for me. I don't know if one discipline is better than the other because I've obviously not experienced them, but AFF seems to be very popular.
Gather all the information you can, at jump school be sure to ask lots of questions, and be confident in your instructor(s).
If you don't feel confidence in the instructor, if they intimidate you, if they feel a need to skip over...don't be afraid to ask about another instructor. My first instructor at one dropzone was constantly taking calls on his cell while I was in the class, so I left that class and got another. My life is in his hands until I make my 8th jump, so I wanted to be sure the instructor was focused on me, not his upcoming competition.
I'm very much a newcomer too, but was only in AFF a month back and already have over 60 jumps, so be prepared to get addicted. But safety is first, obviously.

From how I understand, it, tandem progression is a way to get you into either an AFF or Static Line progression.

That said, this topic comes up quite often here on dropzone.com. Here's some search results to get you started:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=AFF+vs+static+line&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=50
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My life is in his hands until I make my 8th jump, so I wanted to be sure the instructor was focused on me, not his upcoming competition.

Your life was always in your hands, unless all eight of those were tandems. :|

Yeah, that's so. I guess what I meant was that I was trusting him to impart the information I needed to graduate. I actually re-started the class with a different instructor and there were several things I'd not been taught in the first class.

I live in Vancouver, Washington.
Might as well call it Portland.

I have done one tandem.
That tandem was on 6-3-06 and it was a 'Lets go skydiving this weekend, that seems so cool' kind of deal.
Basically the instructionless strap on, jump out, have a nice day thing.
But it ended up being much more than that.
I'm hooked and so is the friend I went with.

My goals are to learn how to skydive safely, become knowledgable enough that I am comfortable with my gear and skills.
I'm the kind of person that if an emergency happens, I do not panic. Unless I have no idea about the equipment I have.
But I also work a 40-hour a week low-paying dead end job. So I need to also keep in mind the costs.

In all reality, I would like to make a career out of jumping.
Personally I am leaning towards videographer maybe even instructor down the line.

The only real drawback I have is I will probably be that guy that 10 years down the line and X,000 jumps later, still has to be pushed out of the airplane.

Jodans

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Must have been beautiful skydiving up there.

Make a living skydiving? I have a few friends down here that moved south for the year round jumping, and still it is tough to make a living skydiving – helps if you can handle a modest lifestyle.

You will get lots of opinions as to which type of program is better to learn; personally I like the tandem progression where you go into solo freefall with instructors after a couple tandems. Some people like one program or another, do a search (upper right hand corner) and you will be able to find lots of information on various types of progressions. Which ever path you take, learn all you can, listen to your instructors and be the best you can be. Being at the DZ is a great place to hang out, make friends and maybe even get on the packing room floor – a lot of skydivers helped to fund their training and beyond by packing. While you are on student status follow your instructors lead, advice you get online can be quite varied and may not compliment the type of instruction you are receiving.

Down the road you will not have a problem exiting, it gets easy the more you learn and become experienced, besides, it would not look good if your student has to push you out the door – skydiving is incredible, glad you are part of the family!

Welcome to skydiving!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Which ever path you take, learn all you can, listen to your instructors and be the best you can be. Being at the DZ is a great place to hang out, make friends and maybe even get on the packing room floor – a lot of skydivers helped to fund their training and beyond by packing. While you are on student status follow your instructors lead, advice you get online can be quite varied and may not compliment the type of instruction you are receiving.

Down the road you will not have a problem exiting, it gets easy the more you learn and become experienced, besides, it would not look good if your student has to push you out the door – skydiving is incredible, glad you are part of the family!

Welcome to skydiving!

Amen

Btw, I started with Static Line, after 5 jumps got bored as I wanted to freefall so I went for the AFF. I did a bit of wind tunnel as well.

Whatever you do will be fscinating and always be safe.

Blue ones