Jill_UK

Breaking myself video

I finally got round to uploading the video of me breaking my pelvis in 7 places in February, for people who asked to see it before. It's only from my view and my camera died as i hit the ground.

Long story short, pilot 188, target fixation/stupidity, 289 jumps, you'll see the rest....

Its not all that exciting but it's quite comical and a good example of how not to land and what happens when you turn low B|

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4030

Ouch.

So I guess you REALLY wanted to land on target, eh? It seemed like had you just left out that final turn you would have been fine. I hope you are healing well.

It's sobering to see someone so much more expecienced than me get badly injured from a short lapse in judgement. Thank you for posting the video.

Are you going to be back in the air?

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Hey, although that video doesn't show much, it really made my stomach turn seeing it from point of view. Hope your healing well. I see from your profile you must have jumped since then. Just reconfirms that the most scary part of the whole thing for me is the landing.

Well it certainly looked like it hurt a whole hell of a lot.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

It was this incident, right? Glad to hear that you're healing and I see from recent posts that you're back in the air. Scary video ... I know if it was me there would have been a string of obscenities coming out of my mouth!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Its not all that exciting but it's quite comical

I didn't find it ha ha funny, more of an "oh oh....ooooooooooohhh...F%$K! response.

Yup, you REALLY wanted that one. Besides a low turn it looked like from that flag (or whatever it was) that you also turned crosswind or slighly downwind which probably didn't help.

Thanks for posting it as a reminder for the rest of us.

That doesn't seem like object fixation... more like a hook turn that could of been a lot worse. Instead of making that final turn I would have just kept going straight over the wind blade and took a zero on the accuracy. But I'm happy for you that you didn't die. I've seen people end up a LOT worse than that.
Na' Cho' Cheese

I think what she's saying is that object fixation led to the low turn. If there was no accuracy comp, she never would've made the turn. Thus, she was fixated... on the object.

Glad you came out of that alive.

[edit: I'm a chauvinist, aieee! :D;) ]
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Or she, even ;)

I posted a link above to the actual incident description in which there's more detail about what happened and didn't happen.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Long story short, pilot 188, target fixation/stupidity, 289 jumps, you'll see the rest....

Yeouch!!

It is amazing how quickly even a 'docile' canopy will pick up speed huh?

It seemed from your shadow that your hands were still at shoulder level when you hit (hope you're recovering OK) - was there any attempt to dig out of the turn?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yeouch!!

It is amazing how quickly even a 'docile' canopy will pick up speed huh?

It seemed from your shadow that your hands were still at shoulder level when you hit (hope you're recovering OK) - was there any attempt to dig out of the turn?

there wasn't really much chance of digging myself out of that hehe...

it's all good now it was about 4.5 months ago, still a bit sore, but i'm jumping again...

it was complete stupidity i know, some people had asked to see the video so i thought i might as well post about it on here...

Sobering... but then I the second-to-last turn was going to be the one that broke you. Thanks for posting this video - we learn mostly by making mistakes, but this kind of thing is a rare opportunity to see exactly how it shouldn't look without having to do it ourselves.

Small consolation to you I guess, but thanks.

Glad to hear you finally escaped the clutches of the Kiwis too 8)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?