AlexK

Getting back into the sport after a long break

I did all my jumps about 18 years ago, at Aggies over Texas. I got married, joined to AF, moved all over the country, etc. etc.

Now, my kids are older (11 and 13), I am settled down, and starting to feel the pull of skydiving again. As an added bonus, I can actually afford decent equipment now.

I know there have been a lot of changes in the sport. Canopies have gotten smaller, AADs are common, and many more that I don't know about.

I am hoping someone here has gone through a similar experience, and can give me some pointers, or lessons learned. What is the best way to get current again? What are the risks/problems I need to watch out for?

Thanks a bunch.

It seems like there is one of these posts every week or two. Its nice to see I am not the only one coming back to the sport after a long break (10 years for me).

You need to get out to drop zone and see what they want you to do. I had to sit through the ground training again, do emergency procedures in the suspended harness and then I did two jumps with AFF instructors. It will depend on how much you remember and how fast you progress on each jump. It does come back fast though.;)
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I expect there is a natural break for a lot of people in skydiving. I remember at the DZ I was at, there were a lot of people in ther 20's and then people in their 40's/50's, but not too many in-between. It is harder to have time for skydiving when you have really young kids. Even now, I think I am only going to be able to squeak out the minimum amount of time to be current and safe.

On the positve side, I remember being jealous of the old fogeys who could afford to order custom gear. Now I am one of those guys. :)

I know there have been a lot of changes in the sport. Canopies have gotten smaller, AADs are common, and many more that I don't know about.

The airplanes are made out of metal, you don't have to spin the prop to start the engine, and the pilots don't wear goggles and scarves. :) I am a younger guy who just got started last year, so discount any or all of the following appropriately...

The father of one of the regulars at the DZ I go to used to jump a lot back in the day. He came out one day to make a jump and he didn't have to do a lot of stuff, but a key point was that he still had his old rig. I _think_ he talked to the DZO and one of the instructors for a while, the rigger inspected and repacked both canopies and pronounced them good, and he was cleared to get on the plane. His jump went fine.

If you want to study up first, there are some books aimed at new jumpers that might be helpful. I read this one before I took my first jump course and it was helpful in learning about the equipment, what the first couple of jumps would probably be like, etc. This book came out more recently and I haven't read it but it should be similar. Another source is the gear manufacturers - many of them have some or all of their owners manuals online. On the other hand, if you just go out to the dropzone, they should be able to show you everything you need to know.

If you've got any of your old logbooks, you may want to dig them out. It probably depends a lot on the DZ, but they may feel better about having some evidence that you've done this stuff before. Also, you'll probably have to renew your USPA membership if you haven't already. USPA ought to be able to look you up by name and license number.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Alex,
I caved last fall and returned to skydiving after a very short 16 yr hiatus. Everyone in our position has their own reasons why they left and why they returned. For me, it was simply a matter regret; I regretted giving up the sport to concentrate on school, family, career, etc.... and I just 'knew' that I would always regret NOT returning the only sport that I really loved. :)I prepped a bit for my return by reading what I could, where I could. DZ.com is a great start, but don't forget about the SIM. Most importantly though, is to follow whatever recommendations are set forth by your instructor at the dz your going to, and don't take advice given on the boards as gospel.
My return was fairly straight forward and simple. Since I had a D license, I was only required renew my USPA membership, review / train in EP's, discuss changes in gear (mostly pertaining to the flight and landing characteristics of a ZP 9cell -vs- F111 7cell), and do a check dive. I was admittedly apprehensive for my first jump, but as the plane climbed to altitude that feeling faded. By the time the door opened it was gone and, just like riding a bike, I was back (although I was amped on adrenaline and sporting a big ol' shit eating grin for a few hours!)B| On this note, I'm sure you'll be fine.
As far as risks or problems go, I'm not sure what I can say. For me, I'm more safety conscious, a bit more conservative, and I've aged a bit (read not as invulnerable as I used to be and take longer to heal), but otherwise still feel like a kid.
A lot has changed in the sport (for the better I might add), and to date I've only experinced 1 'bad' thingy since returning. However, we partake in a sport that is largely self-policing and where folks aren't afraid to stand up and do the 'right thing' to resolve the issues. Thanks again Mur! ;)
Finally, welcome back and Blue Skies! B|

Thanks for all the replies.

I went out to the local Dz (Skydive Temple), and it is an awesome DZ. It even has an air-conditioned packing area! I'm too old (40) to be spending too much time packing in that Texas heat. :)
The S&TA said that I will need to do the first jump course again (classroom), followed by an AFF level 3. If that goes well, that could be all I need. I'm not too crazy about doing the classroom work again, but I guess it can't hurt. The AFF jump definitely seems like a good idea.

I can't watch people land anymore though. When I see people land these days, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It looks like everyone of them are about to auger in.