Grips

Is this a malfunction?

Here is a clip of my wifes first tandem jump.

First question, whats wrong with the canopy, what steps are in order to fix it?

Second question. As an AFF student myself, I am told that it is not big, rectangular, and flying straight, to get rid of it.

Clearly in the clip, it isn't rectangular, and not flying straight, but looks like it was taken care of easily.

I guess if it happen to me, I would have gotten rid of it as per the training.

What do you guys think?

http://www.esnips.com/doc/36045fc7-477e-426e-8541-e004a40fdf24/malfunction_question.wmv

First of all, foul on using a site that requires a registration, so I haven't seen the video. Try uploading it to a site that is generally accessable to jumpers. Such as Skydivingvideo (which also requires a registration, but its a site run by a jumper with no spam or other BS).

Secondly, talk to the instructors at your DZ about this and all other questions regarding your training.

You're taught very simple rules pertaining to malfunctions due to your lack of experience skydiving. Something that *could* be a malfunction and require a chop for you may not be that big of a deal for someone with more experience. The reason why you're taught that way is to make your decision tree quicker and easier. As you get more experience you'll expand your decision tree.

We teach with the concept of Hick's Law in regards to decisions under high stress.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Seeing as this was a tandem jump you are talking about, I am guessing that it was not something serious. Without seeing the clip, I bet it is something like a stuck slider, especially considering the size of a tandem canopy - but get the clip so we can actually see it.
Rhonda
PP ASEL

I've uploaded to skydivingmovies.com, and am waiting for approval.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4067

Looks like a lineover. You can try to clear it by pumping your brakes if you have enough altitude, but if not chop it. Sometimes a lineover will clear itself and you don't need to do anything. Trying to land one would be a bad thing.

I would like to emphasize that what you do depends on your altitude in that situation. In the video it appeared to be a low-speed malfunction, so there was plenty of time to deal with it. On highly-loaded canopies that same malfunction can be a serious high-speed malfunction that requires immediate cutaway.

Walt

That looks exactly like a lineover to me as well. Not very far over (deep), so it seems to have either cleared itself or cleared quickly once the TI put pressure on the opposite rear riser.

I once cleared a lineover on a Silhouette 210 by pulling on and releasing (snapping) the affected riser (line group).

After that I was told that steering in the opposite direction (away from the lineover) may clear it by allowing the line to slip back off the canopy.

I cleared a lineover on a Sigma 370 tandem canopy by steering opposite the lineover with the rear riser (brakes still stowed).
Arrive Safely

John

More common on tandems than sport rigs due to a few circumstances. The amount of line available to get over top and the distance that system has to travel in chaotic 120 mph winds in order to get to linestretch.

Tandems are also a little harder to pack with tension on the lines due to the size of them.

I haven't been around a long time, and I don't go to a real busy dropzone, but I have seen and packed thousands of tandems and seen one line over... if that tells you a bit about how common they are.

Malfunctions in general, the gear manufacturers usually throw out a number somewhere around 1/600 main deployments on a sport rig and 1/330 or so on tandem main deployments.

Those numbers tell 2 stories however. Although main parachute malfunctions are in fact more common than the average whuffo would think, they are also dealt with successfully much much more often than the average whuffo thinks.

I have 500 jumps and have cutaway twice. Once in retrospect I probably could have dealt with, but I was new and didn't like what I saw. Another time, I had no choice but to cutaway and go to reserve. Both felt almost mechanical, like no real thought went into the decision or actions. This is because I practice and think about my emergency procedures right before every jump (also a purely subconscious instinct now). In my opinion everyone else should do same. If you have a parachute you don't think you can land safely, keep trying other parachutes untill you run out of other parachutes to try or find one you like. If you have run out of parachutes and still don't have one you like, fight like hell with whatever you got.

Take this information with a grain of salt (I'm not a rigger or an instructor or very experienced at anything really) and go talk to your instructor and/or a rigger. If you talk to a rigger, run any info you have past your instructor before accepting it as law. Your instructor is God. Or at least they think they are ;) Or is that the pilot? No wait... thats the rigger...doctor.. whatever.. talk to your instructor.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

On these canopies a line over is not a big problem (in most cases).
Although I would appreciate if the TI uses both hands instead of making the video. I know a number of DZ that don't allow action cams for their tandems or AFF. If a "normal" jumper thinks that the video is more important than a canopy check (or fixing a malfunction properly), he only risks his life. But a TI is responsible for the student.
This time it was not a big deal, but what would he do if he has a high speed malfunction. Would it take him again so long to fix the problem (cut away + reserve pull)?