link2334

Dislocated

Just wondering if anyone has ever dislocated there shoulder before? If so how long did you give it to relax and I guess heal. Its popped back in place but it feels like it wants to pop right out again if I lift my arm up. Tomorrow I will call a doctor to have it checked out. I'm just afraid that it might never be the same. I'm a newbie but like most people once you start the sport you fall in love with it. I dont want to give it up already....

------------------------------------------------
Eat, Drink and Jump for tomorrow we die.....

Once a shoulder is dislocated it is sometimes easier to dislocate the shoulder again due to stretched or damaged tendons/ligaments. Of course have it checked by a physician and give yourself plenty of time to heal. The sky will be there when you are ready.

I once had to help carry a jumper with a sprained ankle from the woods who landed there due to a dislocated shoulder. She had previously dislocated the same shoulder. She didn't know how to steer her canopy with one hand, and just flew straight off into the woods and landed without a flare. We were just thankful she didn't have a mal as it could have turned out bad with her lack of experience. I can't imagine some one who doesn't know how to steer with one hand trying to handle a mal with one hand.

The shoulder joint is fairly unstable at the best of time. It's not really a ball in socket joint (like the hip) as such, more the ball rests against a flat surface and is held in place by a joint capsule and 4 muscles called the 'rotator cuff'. Once the shoulder has been dislocated, these muscles and capsule are often torn and can remain so for a long time and sometimes never heal fully. This leaves the shoulder prone to recurrent dislocations - something I wouldn't want to happen when I'm travelling at 120mph towards the earth.
There is surgery that can be performed to correct these tears/stretches and to tighten things up, but I couldn't tell you whether this would be for you. From your apprehension about it popping out again, it sounds fairly unstable. You need a proper assessment by an orthopaedic surgeon and/or sports physiotherapist. They may decide that strengthening exercises are all you need to strengthen up the remaining muscles of that rotator cuff to help it remain in joint. If there's any doubt, then an MRI is probably warranted to look for these tears and if found you could then maybe progress to the surgery. However, even if that was the case, you'd need a long period of rehabilitation prior to jumping again.
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

Only a Doctor can give advice. But I will pass on my observations, not as advice.

Yes the shoulder is a very delicate, and it is a very painful injury.

But with time and consistent stretching and gentle strengthening you should be OK.

Be Patient.

To take the Marine Corps Marital Arts Instructor Course, you must not have had a shoulder injury in two years.

This is consistent with what I have experienced, a full recovery is about two years
But you will be back in action much sooner, just take it easy, but keep movement going.

I am a Certified teacher of Gyrotonic® I find it very helpful for the shoulders, far better and safer than yoga. I’m In Manhattan New York, But I used to Live in Portland, Or.
Near you are the following places :

The Pilates Center
Address:
1680 Willamette St.,
Eugene, OR 97401 USA
Phone:
541-465-1680 Fax:
Owner:
Elise Moore
e-mail:
[email protected]

Kinesphere @ Carpe Diem
Address:
436 Charnelton,
Eugene, OR 97401 USA
Phone:
541-684-0577 Fax:
Owner:
Charmaine Gaffrey
e-mail:
[email protected]
Web site:
http://www.kinespherestudio.com

Miles Dasher, a famous Base Jumper had his BOC moved from right-hand to left-hand side-open, when he hurt his shoulder. Of course talk to your DZO, ST&A and get their approval first. have a rigger do the work, but it may be an option.

Good Luck and Cheers

B|

don't we have this discussion like every week?

2/3 of the people on this board have dislocated their shoulders, from what I can tell.

here's my story, if you scroll down to the right hand side where it says "search," and then click "options," you have the option to search for all posts by a certain user. you can see my shoulder surgery story several times.

previous post:
How to dislocate a shoulder (don't try this at home):

1. Abduct the arm 90º (raise the arm out to the side, to shoulder height).
2. Externally rotate the arm maximally (assume the boxman position).
3. Apply a posteriorly directed force to the elbow (push the elbow towards the sky, assuming you're belly to earth).
4. Go see an orthopod.

Muscle strength has very little to do with shoulder stability. Bony support has even less to do with stability. The main structures providing stability are the glenohumeral ligaments (the joint capsule) along with the cartilaginous labrum. So those people with lax ligaments or labral tears are prone to dislocations, no matter how strong they are. Even without the above, if you put your shoulder in a vulnerable position, you're at risk for dislocations, and in the process you're likely to create both labral tears and lax ligaments.

So sayeth the dude who dislocated his shoulder twice in freefall without colliding with anyone, but who is now blessed with a reconstructed shoulder that works great.

PS: my wifealso hurt her shoulder skydiving, although hers was not a full on dislocation, more of a subluxation, also without any contact at the time.

I dislocated my shoulder about a year and a half ago while exiting a skyvan. The landing from that jump was quite interesting. I was out about 3-4 months before I jumped again, and that was with heavy rehab. Within a couple months of returning I was back to normal as far as jumping goes. I did have a couple of things in my favor: 1) I was 41 when I first dislocated - according to my orthopod, the later in life that the first dislocation occurs, the less likely it is to happen again, and 2) my joints were really tight to begin with, e.g. it took a major trauma to yank it out in the first place, it didn't just pop out in freefall. Anyway, do what your doctor says and good luck!

I recemtly twisted my leg bad enough to dislocate my kneecap and fracture the fibula, I was operated some 8 weeks ago and now I'm fully healed apart from having to remove a long screw in my calf.

I dont know when I can start jumping again, but I hope I'll be able to start during july, if my leg is strong enough at that point, but at the same time I'm worried that I'll never get the same range of motion in my knee or my ankle...

I dislocated mine in a skiing accident in Vermont when I was 17. My Dr. said that once dislocated, there is a good chance it will do it again. However, like the person with the Skyvan injury, it took a major trauma to dislocate it. I'm 32 now and it has never done it again, but it has also never been quite right again either. It is my weak shoulder now and sometimes it hurts, but it hasn't dislocated and I haven't had any trouble with it when skydiving. Hopefully you won't have any long-term trouble with it either.
Rhonda
PP ASEL

I dislocated my shoulder about a year and a half ago while exiting a skyvan. The landing from that jump was quite interesting. I was out about 3-4 months before I jumped again, and that was with heavy rehab. Within a couple months of returning I was back to normal as far as jumping goes. I did have a couple of things in my favor: 1) I was 41 when I first dislocated - according to my orthopod, the later in life that the first dislocation occurs, the less likely it is to happen again, and 2) my joints were really tight to begin with, e.g. it took a major trauma to yank it out in the first place, it didn't just pop out in freefall. Anyway, do what your doctor says and good luck!

I dislocated mine out of the Skyvan earlier this year. No surgery needed. Physical Thereapy for 2 months after MRI's checked out. Follow doc's orders and continue excercises
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

i dislocated my shoulder about 7 weeks ago when my canopy caught the wind flag on a swoop. it was completly dislocated. went to the ER, had it popped back in. dont have insurance, so never went to orthopedic like i was told to. one of the jumpers at my DZ is a physical therapist and gave me some excercises to work on. just made 8 jumps this past weekend. it hurt like hell after the first day. iced that night and jumped again the next day. there is still pain but i feel like i am able to jump again, but i am still doing the excercises so i can get my shoulder back to 100%.

Wow, I wasnt expecting so much feed back. Well thank you to everyone for the info and advice. To Flying Penguin I will look into those addresses you gave me, I just moved out here from White Plains N.Y., small world.
Anyway I have and app. on thursday with the doctor. But I guess its safe to say no jumping for awhile. What I left out of the first post was it happened while in freefall.

After landing on my first jump of the day I fell back, not hard but I put my arm out to catch my fall and thought I just bruised my shoulder. But I was fine went inside to pack my parachute and went up on the next load. Jumped out fine and while practicing front and back loops it popped out. I didn't really realize it till I went to throw my pilot chute and could not reach it. I was trained good and knew to pull my reserve, but like a idiot I pulled my pilot chute with my left hand. Now yes I know that could of made a bad situation even worse But I have real long arms and it was very easy to reach down across my chest and throw it. But if anyone new like me reads this dont do like the dummy, Emergency procedures and pull the reserve with your good arm. Thank God it opened fine.
Flying was no picnic either. I was able to lift my arm up just enough to grab my steering toggles but was very painful Made it back to the landing area but had to flare with both toggles in my left hand. Now My other question is, is there something better a could of done for a flare or was that my only option.

I dislocated my shoulder in April - just as the season began up north... :( MRI showed I had torn my Labrum (ligament that attaches your arm to your shoulder). Was recommended for surgery, but opted for Physical Therapy first. After 8 weeks of PT 3x's a week, I'm back at work, and trying to get back into skydiving... No surgery so far, unless I reinjure it.

What I've learned: Go to a good Orthopedic Surgeon. Get an MRI. Make sure you go to THE BEST Physical Therapist you can find. (It makes ALL the difference.) Work really really hard at PT and you may be able to avoid surgery.

My doc said once you have dislocated your shoulder, it is more apt to dislocate again. It will take over a year for the ligaments to heal, and even then they will never ever be the same. Surgery can stabilize the ligaments more than PT, but it can be a lengthy and painful process (arm out of commission for 4-9 months depending). Also, a few docs have a new laser that penetrates deep into the tissue and after several treatments, it can heal torn ligaments by regenerating cells in the area - I know a Chiropractor that's getting one and may try it. It's an option instead of therapy...

As for skydiving: My plan is to do a tandem first to make sure my shoulder is strong enuf to steer and flare - and that it doesn't dislocate in freefall. (I'd hate to do a reserve ride down with only my left arm after only 39 jumps and 7 months off...) I'm going to change my reserve handle from a pillow to a D-ring. I've been trying out various shoulder braces - I'm looking for something that will hold my shoulder slightly forward, so it doesn't end up too far behind me (in a position that it more likely will dislocate again). A friend at my DZ dislocated his shoulder last season, had the surgery, and is just now getting back into it. He said belly flying he's ok - but in a sit he can feel his shoulder start to become unstable again.

Other than that, I wish I had answers for you. Good luck... :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." -- Amelia Earhart

She didn't know how to steer her canopy with one hand, and just flew straight off into the woods and landed without a flare.

How can you do that? Both toggles in one hand?
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

I havent ask anyone on about steering with one hand but flaring wasnt hard. I was able to slightly steer with my right hand but once I was on final I put my right toggle in my left hand and just flared with both. As far as steering with only one hand I imagine it would depend on you canopy but I would think once under canopy leave your brakes stowed and steer with your rear risers one at a time with your good hand then once on final release your brakes with your good hand and flare with that good hand. But again I'm new and thats only my guess.

I would think once under canopy leave your brakes stowed and steer with your rear risers one at a time with your good hand then once on final release your brakes with your good hand and flare with that good hand.

If that were to be the decided action leave the brakes stowed in the event that one gets stuck. Skydivers have been bitten by unstowing toggles to low to the ground and then had to deal with the consequences of the stuck toggle and nothing to dive into but the ground.

Good rule of thumb, dont unstow your toggles beneath an altitude you are not willing to cutaway from.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

So if thats the case, then if you only have one hand to deal with under canopy, what do you do.....

Hindsight is always 20/20 eh? Different approaches might be decided upon by various jumpers with various canopy types and WLs.

Point I was trying to make is if you are going to leave brakes stowed, then leave em stowed, if you decide to use them then un-stow them at a safe altitude. My personal plan is if I am in a situation where I only have one arm working is to leave my brakes stowed all the way through the landing, because if a brake malfunction sends me into a spin it might be difficult to preform EPs with one arm, especially under the forces a spiral on the canopy I jump might deliver.

You handled your situation in a manner that left you alive to correspond here online, so good job! Now its time to learn from your experience and come up with a more definite plan of action in the event it happens again.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

ok that I understand and totally agree with you 100%, but (this is just me being a young and unexperienced skydiver) if you leave your brakes stowed and only have one arm to use how would you flare your canopy? Is it possible to flare with one hand on your rear risers or the fact that your brakes are stowed will slow you down enough for, a not so gracefull landing but a safe enough landing?

I've been there, I think I had two shoulder dislocations by jump #50. Welcome to the club! I'm not a doctor, I just have experience with my arm falling off in freefall, so keep that in mind.

There is a really good chance your shoulder will never be the same. But in the way life is never the same after you realize your parents have had sex. The sport will still welcome you with open arms.

You've already taken the right step, see a doctor. He will have the best advice. If he sends you to PT, follow the instructions you are given, if you push too hard it can set you back, and do all the exercises. Is there any chance there is a good sports medicine clinic near you? They might have more experience, but MMV.

Surgery may seem like the quick fix, and many people will scream praises about it. But it comes with its own risks. It was only after about three dislocations in freefall and when my shoulder would pop out in bed that I was sent for a surgical consult. Even if you do have surgery, there will always be a chance of future dislocations. Plus, with PT, you could be jumping again in a month, with surgery... who knows. Again, a doctor will have the best advice.

About the wingsuits, the standard wingsuit body position is very safe for your shoulder. A lot of dislocation are caused by hyperextending your arm above your head, and the further dislocations are caused by an inability of prevent the hyperextension. With a wingsuit you would really have to try to get yourself into a really unstable should position. Could it still happen? *shrug* ask your doctor. I hope not because I have a firebird on order.

Oh, also for the landing. It looks like you came out ok, so I'd say you did the right thing. Flaring with both arms and sliding on my ass is what I've done every time.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Wait until you get at least 200 skydives and are very current and then get training from a certified wingsuit instructor if you want to.

Wingsuits are not meant to be a shoulder brace. They're fun, but they complicate the skydive. They also wear down your arms after a few jumps if you're not in good upper body shape.