gofast_ER

Stupid mistakes?

Ok I was just thinking of a stupid mistake I made a several years ago. I think I had about 50 jumps at the time. Well, i went out on a solo tracking. I tracked towards the line of flight :S and ended up infront of the person that left after me. He said we werent in any danger of colliding but he was kinda pissed that I had done something like that. Yeah ok I should have known. Lesson learned. I would never do such a thing again. Im just curious what other stupid mistakes have been made.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Did a hop and pop from 10k on my 23rd jump, however, i didn't tell any one what i was doing.
Since i was above the clouds everyone thought i had bounced.
My only stupid mistake and im gonna to keep it that way.

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

wow! Yeah I probably would have been thinking the same thing. High alt. hop n pops are fun though. Did a 10k hop n pop just a few weeks ago to escape the heat for a few minutes B|

of course everyone on the dz knew what we were doing. And it's a small one cessna dz so its not like we had to worry about another load over us
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I did a hop & pop at altitude on a CRW pass, having notified the pilot. The visiting 8-way team got out after me on the same [climbing] pass and landed almost three miles out.

The stupid mistake? Not having video of it. :D

All stupid joking aside, I've probably made more stupid mistakes than I'll ever know. All I can do is learn as much as I can and do my best to avoid making [too m]any in the future.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Did something similar. Was one of my concolidation jumps, just after i finished my AFF, so i was dispatched by an instructor. Went up, did what i was planning, and decided to track one way for a while, then the other way until pull time. When i got back down, the instructor asked me what i did for the logbook... I got "should be aware of line of flight of the aircraft, and should inform the jummpmaster of the planned track." I had no idea what the line of flight was, so i didn't know where i was tracking to. Scares me to think about it now.

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

dirt dived in the plane with a stranger when supposed to go on a solo. Got kicked in the face after the tube and broke my nose which still looks different then pre-broken :(

yeah, but hearing you tell the story about the clicking sounds you heard as you breathed in and out was entertaining! :D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

yeah, but hearing you tell the story about the clicking sounds you heard as you breathed in and out was entertaining!

funny enough I still hear it but the doctor says I feel it not hear it , its annoying as shit if Im not occupied and I sit there and hold my breath lol...

I have other stupid mistakes, they are exaggerated now that time has passed for story telling fun... the cutaway and also the sheep story are two of my favorites but ones that are better in person as the gestures make the story better
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

yeah, but hearing you tell the story about the clicking sounds you heard as you breathed in and out was entertaining!

funny enough I still hear it but the doctor says I feel it not hear it , its annoying as shit if Im not occupied and I sit there and hold my breath lol...

I have other stupid mistakes, they are exaggerated now that time has passed for story telling fun... the cutaway and also the sheep story are two of my favorites but ones that are better in person as the gestures make the story better

lol! both of those are good! :D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Oh yeah I forgot about 2 more kinda related. The first was I was out for several months with a broken knee (non skydiving related). When I finally made it back to the dz I was feeling confident I could still pack. I did have it checked by another jumper but not a rigger or instructor. Turned out I had misrouted my bridle. Yup...pilot chute in tow! I was in denial that it was actually happening to me. I didn't even go for my reserve handle until I had passed 1000 ft. The only thought that was going through my head was *32nd jump, no way am I haveing a malfunction already* :S

The one that is related is a week later when i pulled one of my brakes came out. Since just having my first mal I was a little jumpy. Instead of looking up to see what the problem was I cut it :S
I felt like an ass when I landed and jim wallace looked at my canopy and showed me what the problem had been. This has happend a few times since but I do what you're supposed to do. Just grab the other toggle B|

Did something similar. Was one of my concolidation jumps, just after i finished my AFF, so i was dispatched by an instructor. Went up, did what i was planning, and decided to track one way for a while, then the other way until pull time. When i got back down, the instructor asked me what i did for the logbook... I got "should be aware of line of flight of the aircraft, and should inform the jummpmaster of the planned track." I had no idea what the line of flight was, so i didn't know where i was tracking to. Scares me to think about it now.

Eugene

Yeah I can't believe I did that without even thinking either. The thing is, not trying to make an excuse or anything (after all it should be common sense) its just that this was never told or taught to me. But then again pulling is common sense and that is something driven into every student.

the tracking stories are interesting, every time i planned to do a tracking jump the loadmaster (at 2 different DZs) always checked that i knew what the line of flight was and where to track.

however i have done stupid things, the most stupid of which was not paying enough attention to a new canopy and ending up with 2 broken ankles as a result.B| but the doc has just cleared me to jump again :)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

You can ask Rocke about this one:)
Shortly after getting off the "dope rope", Jeff and I went up for my second long delay. It was also the first time I went up to 10,500 and first time without the radio. Anyway, Jeff climbed all the way out and put me on the step. I initiated the count and smacked my nose on the step as I let goB|[:/]

I immediately went into a spin, stopped it, and proceeded to perform what I was supposed to do on that level. I didn't realize how bad I was bleeding until I reached up to unstow the brakes. It always took me forever to land since I was flying a 200 sq. foot canopy so I'm thinking "great, I'm gonna bleed to death up here." By the time I did land, amazingly on target, I looked like I'd been shot. I'll never forget the look on Rocke's face when he saw me.

Definately a classic moment.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I brought a new Sabre 150 with me to Eloy one year and we had our rigger here inspect it and get it ready for me before we went to Eloy. My husband had bought the canopy used off a guy here in Boston. Well, we made the jump, all was well, until I opened up and realized that I could not reach the toggles for the life of me. I managed to just get one by my fingernail and get it unstowed and one was stuck up still and I could not reach it at all. So I let the other one back up and steered down with my rear risers. I considered chopping the canopy, but could hear my AFF instructor telling me only to chop something I could not land and I was thinking how much it would suck if I cutaway a good canopy and then had a problem with my reserve.

We then brought the canopy over to the rigger at Eloy who proceeded to tell us that the risers were for a "gorilla man". Doh! It had never even crossed any of our minds to check the length of the risers!
Rhonda
PP ASEL

Last time I jumped I got distracted by the feelings of the weed tops across my toes. I didn't finish my flare. I was thinking wow this is cool swooping the weedtops. Then Thwack. Nothing hurt just my pride. Need to concentrate more.
Actually on the jump before that I was thinking, "Feet and knees together be prepairde to..." Thunk. 3
Lesson learned: CONCENTRATE

Non sono molti inteligenti.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I was jumping a Paraflite Military MC5 fitted with stirrups for HAPO.(for steering with the feet) On Deployment the stirrups which are about 5ft long came out of the stows. Being about my 8th FF jump I assumed that these were for my hands. Consequently; when I flared I only got about a 1/4 flare and landed at 15kts with my toes pointed(Broken Right Ankle).
"Didn't you notice the reduced performance" You ask !
B|
"Chicks dig guys that jump out of Planes! "

Oh ye who have much to learn.....

if that is your only stupid mistake jumping then you sir....well, nevermind...it won't be.

Yeah, it sucks. I've got a major malfunction to look forward to, it's in the cards, no avoiding it.

I just hope I'll have the brains to learn from it.:S

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love