MarianS

What is the Roll out of bed technique?

it's how you get back belly to earth when you get stuck off your back....just pull in an arm and shoulder and act like your rolling out of bed and magically your back belly to earth:D

And ARCH!!

Marian, see me at the DZ this weekend or the next time you are there. I will show you.:)
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

No offence. I am just a big believer that students should ask their instructor as their instructor will know what they want them doing and not doing. I do know that this would be the first thing they will teach you before a solo but all the same, it is up to your instructor as to what you and how you should learn things. People in the forums should not be teaching students anything over the internet.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Well no offense to you and I'm not wanting to get into any debates here but all that happened here was a newby asked a question and an experienced instructor answered....there was no teaching or ground preps going on. Sometimes students hear things or read things and don't think about asking questions until they get home. I don't see any problems at all with students asking questions on this forum. When they go to their respective DZ's for their next level they will be appropriately ground preped for that DZ's student program.

Sometimes students hear things or read things and don't think about asking questions until they get home. I don't see any problems at all with students asking questions on this forum. When they go to their respective DZ's for their next level they will be appropriately ground preped for that DZ's student program.

Agree 100 billion zillion quadrizagillion percent!

First off, when I work with a student I make sure they know that I am the instructor and they are the student (we don’t have time for control issues). Say we are prepping for a dive and during our training session they make a comment like "but the person online said" - then I kindly ask them to push any information they may have received elsewhere (be it online, the packing room floor or at the fire) to the side, that there are many ways to accomplish varying tasks in skydiving and we are learning the fundamentals as is laid out in our training syllabus. I have never had issues with someone as a result.

Here in the forums I am always very quick to remind students who ask training method specific questions to talk to their instructors as a friendly reminder – not because they are asking a question but rather because they may (and often do) get advice that might be off the mark given by individuals who are not currently rated instructors. A student receiving training method specific advice from well intentioned skydivers is usually not beneficial in the student’s progress toward having a clear and concise understanding of what we (rated AFF Instructors) are being commissioned to teach them in the course syllabus at the DZ we all respectively work at. Back in my days of being a sport jumper whenever a student would make inquires concerning their training, or even skydiving in general I would ALWAYS tell them to talk to their instructor out of respect for the instructor and the student - even if I knew the correct answer. Today I still pay the same respect to instructors working with students that are not at my DZ as their are variations in training philosophies from DZ to DZ.

That being said, the first step in the roll to recover technique is ____ ___ ________...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

would ALWAYS tell them to talk to their instructor out of respect for the instructor and the student

Where I trained on Static line, we all used to help around the DZ. One thing was gearing up first time jumpers.
Before you were allowed to do this the CCI would take you aside and I remember one of the things impressed upon all us 20 jump wonders was, "You are not an Instructor, if you are asked any question the only answer you give is, you will have to ask your instructor."
I think this policy stopped a lot of bad advice being given out.

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Thanks a bunch!!! That makes sense... I can't wait to try it eventually!! My second solo is day after tomorrow.

Where are you learning, and what is your progression?

Are you considering an AFF jump a "solo"?

Beause, if solo is "jump without instructors" in a progression other than static line or IAD, then you should have already been tought the technique and have demonstrated it.

If you are in the middle of your AFF progression, then don't worry, the technique is introduced before you are released in freefall, and is typically not needed until the final stages when which infolve deliberate instability and recovery. I personally teach it in the First Jump Course, just in case.

That said, I heartily endorse the numerous statements that you ask your instructor

A student trained by the collective wisdom of dropzone.com would be a horrifying sight.