clintonradloff

military parachute Question?????

Hi,
does any one on here jump a MT-1XX or MC-5 or NB-8 parachute. i have a NB-8 at home (NO- i have not jumped it. -its for my collection).
Clinton

Some of the older jumpers might have jumped the canopy that is packed into an NB-8 system. It is a C-9, 28 foot flat. Back in the day, they were called "Cheppos" and modified for sport use. Double L, 5TU, 7TU.

I don't know anyone who jumps them today.:)
I have an MT-1XS in my living room, but haven't jumped in a couple of years.:P
Sparky

NB8
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Atsburey here flew an MT-1 for a while. I never skydived with mine just did a couple of BASE jumps with it(strogly not recommended), so I don't think I can give it a fair review.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I have many jumps on both an MT-1XX and MC-4. They are virtually identical. They are not the best sport rigs but they are cheap, readily available and fun to jump, as the previous poster has mentioned. The NB-8 will keep you alive but (probably) not unhurt. Those 28 footers are not slow coming down.

I don't know anyone who jumps them today.

Sparky,
You need to come to Lost PRairie next summer. I have a cheepo we can hook you up with....I jumped the Papillion I got from Viking into the lake this last summer.. and I have a C-9 you can use:)
I think this year I will jump my Paracommander MK II into the lake. Its all OD and original.. and I have a complete military rig to put it in.

The NB-8 container is only relevant if you are flying a high-speed, military-surplus airplane.
It's 28 foot diameter C-9 canopy is plenty strong enough for high speed openings, but is probably not steerable. A few of the later military-surplus C-9s have four-line release, but that does little more than change the view!
Hah!
Hah!
NB-8 is totally irrelevant for modern skydiving and I do not hate any jump pilot enough to ask him/her to wear it.

I jump the Mt1-1XX as my secondary rig behind my Manta. The only issue that I am faced with is the size / bulk of the rig within the confinds of a 182.

the Mt1 handles well and I am sure to be able to stay up longer since it has more canopy to cover me.

This winter I am planning on modifing the ripcord to a BOC. So when the jumping starts back up here in Michigan in April Ill be jumpin g that alot more since I am getting older....hahahahahahhahaB|
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

When I jumped a PC I weighed about 120lbs and even at that weight landing prep was crucial [thud]. I took a reserve ride long ago on a modified 22ft sac reserve and incredibly it gave me a relitively soft landing [thuk] compared to the pc. Looking forward to seeing a PC jump into Mcgregor this year.:ph34r:
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward