AlexK

Origin of "perfectly good airplane" ?

I'm not suggesting that each of the examples is a well known phrase, just that it's common to describe something as 'perfectly good' for emphasis- airplane or not. Maybe just in the UK?
I just tried Google for "perfectly good" (with quotes to match exact phrase) and the first mention of planes is entry number 5. Not sure if that supports my point or not!

Geoff

When I talk to whuffos, I invariably get the response "Why would you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" I know there are some snappy comebacks to this, but it has always struck me as odd that everyone uses this exact same phrase.

I did not get a chance to read this entire thread, and maybe this suggestion has already been offered, but my standard comeback is: "I know a bunch of airplane mechanics and they tell me, 'There isn't anything like a perfectly good airplane.' "

LS

I always tell them that they haven't seen our airplanes yet. Then I tell them that I am joking and that our airplanes are great.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

(edited)
On 6/22/2006 at 4:03 AM, kallend said:

If they knew anything about airplanes, they would know that a "perfect" one doesn't exist, and never has.

It's not about their knowledge of airplanes; it's about your knowledge of the English language. The phrase "perfectly good ___" doesn't mean something is perfect; it means that something is good enough for a certain purpose.

Edited by maxhodges