Kimblair13

Don't turn low.

I harp on this. If a person is afraid to land downwind than they need to upsize. Flat turns are great and everyone needs to know how to do them but if one can't land downwind then they are on the wrong equipment!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

If you have to land downwind, don't be afraid. It's gonna hurt alot less than trying to whip a 180 and eating the dirt. That's all. [:/]

here here... downwinders are just fine with me...

and much better then the alternative...:|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

if your on a xchaos 87 at 175 pounds and the wind is doing 25-30 mph then yes....be very afraid to land downwind

Sure, but you would hope that if someone has the experience to be on a wing like that, then they have the experience to make landing directions choices much more efficently then a 20 jump wonder. Then again at my DZ when the wind is that high it tends to get very gusty and quite variable in direction, those of us jumping highly loaded wings tend to sit out to wait for better conditions anyways.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

if your on a xchaos 87 at 175 pounds and the wind is doing 25-30 mph then yes....be very afraid to land downwind :ph34r:

I've seen it done in steady 30mph winds, on a smaller canopy than that, and, he stood it up if I remember correctly. ;)

Ok - so if you are going downwind at 30 MPH - and you turn your canopy completely "off" - you are still going 30 MPH.... I wanna see someone land a canopy and run out a 30 MPH landing... :)
But I rather downwind PLF it at 30 than dive into the ground on a low panic turn...

Understood, a downwind landing is a better choice than a low 180 degree crash into the ground, but is "Don't turn low" always true?. What if the alternative is to fly into something bigger and tougher than you or the ground ? e.g. a powerline, another skydiver, a car, a fence etc.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

I'm guessing that is up there with Remember to Flare and Legs together and PLF.... which I saw a first timing AFF Level 1 student forget to do..... I was 100 feet away and I felt it. The guy broke his leg! [:/]

-=+ Skyliber, Disynthegrate, & Nucleaire +=-

I saw a 20mph butt slide landing.

It was very impressive. And gives a new meaning to skidmarks (in- and outside ones).

It can be done. Guy even managed to make it look semi-safe, although I am told the bruises on his behind indicate it was somewhat "physically intensive".

Re: not turning low. Right on. It can get ugly.

It was very impressive. And gives a new meaning to skidmarks (in- and outside ones).

there is a TI that loves giving 'skidmark' landings to first timers! Well, that's what I've come to think. Luckily, I didn't get him (or her ;))

-=+ Skyliber, Disynthegrate, & Nucleaire +=-

if your on a xchaos 87 at 175 pounds and the wind is doing 25-30 mph then yes....be very afraid to land downwind :ph34r:

I've seen it done in steady 30mph winds, on a smaller canopy than that, and, he stood it up if I remember correctly. ;)

Our Italian friend? Naw when I’ve seen him take down winders above 25 MPH he had some less than artistic slides going on. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

If you have to land downwind, don't be afraid. It's gonna hurt alot less than trying to whip a 180 and eating the dirt. That's all. [:/]

listen to this so that you dont do stupid stuff and unload your lines

http://archive-b02.libsyn.com/andueMh2bXaWeZR2l3mdqJelZXKX/podcasts/skydiveradio/sr14_11_08_05s.mp3

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

if your on a xchaos 87 at 175 pounds and the wind is doing 25-30 mph then yes....be very afraid to land downwind

Sure, but you would hope that if someone has the experience to be on a wing like that, then they have the experience to make landing directions choices much more efficently then a 20 jump wonder. Then again at my DZ when the wind is that high it tends to get very gusty and quite variable in direction, those of us jumping highly loaded wings tend to sit out to wait for better conditions anyways.;)

Like in January when we all sat out.... that was a bit TOO gusty for my taste...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Like in January when we all sat out.... that was a bit TOO gusty for my taste...

Exactly. We won't tell a jumper NO directly in those cases, but we'll work with the jumper and educate them why the wise decision is to stay on the ground. They tend to go, "gee, I think I'll sit and wait as well" while patting themselves on the back for being such a smart and safety concious low time jumper (which is exactly our goal).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."