Cokie00

Newbie Question

I need advice on something and I don't know where else to go. I have been having a horrible time flaring mostly because my depth perception is way off. I think I flaired at 10 feet and I was at 3. Another time, I thought I was at 10 feet, I was at 50... Surprisingly, I'm uninjured. But here's my question. I've heard that dytters can be set to go off at predetermined heights. Do you think it's accurate enough under 100 feet to buy one and set it for around 15 feet to begin my flair? I'm out of options and I'm afraid I'm going to seriously hurt myself.

*Hope*
Living: The only thing worth dying for.

No... I just have landed horribly in the past and I think it might be my nerves or something. They had me on a radio but they consistently forget to help me thru the flare. So that's why I was wondering if the dytter is a feasible option.

*Hope*
Living: The only thing worth dying for.

A dytter or the like will not help you, you can only set them to nearest 500ft and are (mostly) designed for breakoff/opening/hard deck. The optima and neptune do have warnings for under canopy, but I think they're mostly aimed at swoopers.

As in the above post, if you're looking straight down, that will be a major problem as this causes ground rush where the ground appears not to move then come up very quickly. Best look about 45 degrees.

Also, you dont have many jumps. It should come over time, but its just about learning where to flare.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

When I first started to jump my flare points were all over the place so I started talking my problem over with some of the other jumpers and found out that I was looking straight down at the ground trying to judge my altitude and you cant do it that way. When I talked to my instructor he said that I should be looking out at about a 45 degree angle on my decent and when you can see the ground and the horizon it helps you judge your flare points better. I would suggest talking with your instructor and maybe get video of your landings to review later.
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

is your depth perception off for a medical reason?

I don't want this to sound sexist, but:

It's more likely it's because she's female.
Now I know how that sounds, but it has been medically proven (Or so I've seen on TV/Radio etc - I'm NOT a doctor BTW) that females haven't got as much ability as males to judge distances / spatial awareness.

This is why they are crap drivers (j/k):ph34r:

At 23 jumps . . . I don't see anything wrong with your progress. There is no set limit of jumps to have before knowing how to land properly, nor do I believe that its a male vs. female thing either. I didn't stand up a landing until around jump number 20 and even then I didn't start consistently stand up my landings until I got off of the student or rental gear from the DZ.

I like the idea of video taping your landing and reviewing what you do from a different perspective, and practice will make perfect.

But my best opinion is that the canopies you are flying are old and weathered. Most student canopies are 1000+ jump F111's with very little flare left in them. See if anyone at the DZ has a nice Sabre 170 or 190 with Zero Porosity fabric. Take one of those bad boys out for a jump and do everything you normally do. You may be pleasantly surprised that your landing will be flawless.

That's just my opinion, I hope it helped.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

But my best advice is that the canopies you are flying are old and weathered. Most student canopies are 1000+ jump F111's with very little flare left in them. See if anyone at the DZ has a nice Sabre 170 or 190 with Zero Porosity fabric. Take one of those bad boys out for a jump and do everything you normally do. You may be pleasantly surprised that your landing will be flawless.

That's just my opinion, I hope it helped.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bad advice.
Downsizing her from a 290 to a Sabre 190 GARRANTEES broken bones. Especially if she cannot land student canopies gracefully.

Besides, which backwater DZ are you jumping at anyways?

All the DZs that I have worked at recently used Manta ZP 290s or Skymaster 290s or Solo 270s, all of which have ZP top skins.

Dude! That's VERY sexist!

it has been medically proven (Or so I've seen on TV/Radio etc - I'm NOT a doctor BTW) that females haven't got as much ability as males to judge distances / spatial awareness.

Not true (I'm an eye doc so I know what I'm talking about!) While there are some differences in anatomy between the male and female brain, the optical pathways are identical so your info is BS! However, eye problems (even slight ones) can interfere with spatial awareness so it might be worthwhile getting that checked out

This is why they are crap drivers

More BS! :P
--------------------------------------------------------

-Chanti-

Warning.. Bad Joke ahead..

Why do women Have such trouble judging distance??
They have always been told that this {--------------------------} is 6 Inches!!;):D:D

Seriously.. Talk to someone who can spend some time working with you on landings. Have them watch you and possibly put you back on Radio so that you can get a better idea of when to start your flare.

As tempting as it is for young and new jumpers, it's imperative you not learn to depend on any electronic or mechanical device, including radios, to take the place of sound training, repetitive practice, good judgement and experience.

Relying on an audible altimeter to tell you when to flair would never work simply because your flair point will change as conditions, such as wind and turbulence, change. You must train yourself and your eyes.

The best thing to do is seek out a course dedicated to canopy flight. There are several. I personally think the one by Scott Miller is the best. He has two; one for "Essential Skills" and one for "Performance Landings".

I have gone through both in the last five years and my son went through the Essential when he had 15 jumps.

For the last several years at our DZ we've been watching and cringing when we see the landings some people were making. Because people always seem to have an excuse as to why they can't attend a professional canopy course we decided to conduct our own. We developed and wrote a curriculum very much like Scott Miller's.

We conducted two courses so far this year. To alleviate the excuse of "can't afford it" there was no charge for the course. The only cost was five hop and pops and a comittment to attend the entire all day course. (don't expect this to happen because it's a huge time commitment on the part of the instructors)
By the end of the day, and since, we've had the pleasure of watching these once kamikaze pilots fly their parachutes with sensible controlled patterns, flairs and finishes to some very nice landings.

For the last decade we in our sport have neglected canopy flight training and have not kept up with the advances of our parachutes. Looking at the accident reports tells us what we need to do.
Local instructors either don't have the time or don't take the time to focus on this area of development; possibly because of adding yet another level of cost to the newer jumper.
While the cost may be considered expensive by some it's cheeper than the deductible and co-insurance you'll have to pay for your ride to the emergency room. Seek out a canopy course!

Good luck and Be Safe
BTW This is not an ad for my services. I don't conduct courses outside our DZ and I don't charge.

Instructors, Cookie...instructors.
Note that there are only two posters here so far that you could/should listen to....it's quite obvious which....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My apologies to everyone . . . but I was not giving advice, just an opinion, as I clearly stated. I would like to make it very clear that I am a Newbie myself and am not qualified to give skydiving advice, nor was I trying to.

I'm sure any half-brained dumbass can tell who to take advice from by a person's skydiving profile and what proficiency they have achieved.

I was merely submitting my personal experience, and I apologize once again if I came across as someone who pretended to know what they were talking about.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

As an eye doctor you can probably figure out my problem with landings. I have 41 jumnps now and still have a lot of trouble with the flare, most of which has a lot to do with about 4 inches of toggle left to pull on. My coach is working with me on that.

Anyway, as a 2 year old, I had eye surgery for strabismus, or eyes being crossed for the non-knowing. So, I don't see in stereo like most peoiple do which screws up my depth perception. It is so hard to explain to people what it is like. Most of the time it isn't an issue as my brain has learned how to compensate. I got my Private Pilot's license with this condition, so I should be able to land a parachute safely if I can a plane.

Its frustrating, but I know with time it will come. Thankfully, it seems I do just barely good enough right now not to hurt myself.

David

The "look out at the horizon" trick is excellent. If you are ready to PLF your landings, and plan on doing so, then you will be pleasantly surprised when you find your PLFs getting easier and easier, rather than disappointed when your standups aren't.

The loading that you mentioned in another thread is on the aggressive side but not awful. Standing up landings is not the only definition of doing it right; walking away from a landing that went as you planned is much better.

Look at the horizon as you're landing, pick up the small cues. Flare when you're about the same height as the wind blades or wind sock, or a little lower than the trees depending on how tall they are (if you're looking straight out that will be a lot easier than if you're looking straight down). Make it a deliberate flare, and FINISH IT! Hold the flare until you land.

There are some threads to help with this also using the "escalator" trick. Do a search for "escalator" in the Safety & Training forum and look for them.

Good luck. I have a few more jumps than you, and regularly (no, not always) fall down. I'm perfectly willing to, and it's part of my plan. I get up from them too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No... I just have landed horribly in the past and I think it might be my nerves or something. They had me on a radio but they consistently forget to help me thru the flare. So that's why I was wondering if the dytter is a feasible option.

You need to find a new DZ if they are forgetting about you! I'm slightly kidding but not really. You not being helped if your on radio and not being aided with landings. There is no excuse for forgetting about a student. It happens but it shouldn't.

Don't get too discouraged. Before ZP canopies I used to got to boogies and be amazed at how many experienced jumpers couldn't land their parachute. I still know a world champion (okay from the 70's) who almost never stands up.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The best thing to do is seek out a course dedicated to canopy flight. There are several. I personally think the one by Scott Miller is the best.

I've attended both the Scott Miller Essentials Skills course and the Brian Germain course. I'd highly recommend both, but they're aimed at slightly different audiences. Scott's is a very practical "how to land your canopy" course, while Brian's is a bit more cerebral and focuses more on the theory of canopy flight.

Both Scott and Brian offer Advanced courses, though I've not taken either.

I'm sure any half-brained dumbass can tell who to take advice from by a person's skydiving profile and what proficiency they have achieved.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, mama. Opinions are fine...keep 'em coming as long as you're willing to adjust those opinions as knowledge is gained.

Just in case you were NOT playing the devils's advocate, think about it...profiles don't mean shit...including mine...you can't tell who's BSing a profile.

The two who were referenced come by their reputation honestly and have many who know them personally vouching for their expertise. These are the guys I meant.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hope, Hope, Hope, Hope, Hope..... [:/]

How many ("varied") people are you already "listening" to? How much worry and pressure are you already putting on yourself?

Here is all I will suggest (unfair "insider" perspective coming here, that won't make any sense to everyone else because I jump at the same DZ Cokie does and know common ppl)... DON'T listen to ANYONE ELSE DIRECTLY RIGHT NOW - INCLUDING ME. There is another female jumper on the DZ with an extremely similar "profile" who just recently returned from a broken ankle, and a long lay-off. VERY SIMILAR history, and problems/concerns. Notice that she has over the past few weekends completely straightened those all out? You know who I am talking about. Go to her and find out how. You will hear what "clicked" for her, and because of your so similar "profiles" I am sure that she will be able to help APPROPRIATELY redirect (and thereby hopefully help "unclutter" & "refocus") you accordingly.

Hit that "reset" button girl. Take a breath and reconnoiter! "Gizmo's", even if this one were to have a chance of functioning the way you were somehow looking for (which it DOESN'T), are not the begin all and end all in ANY case! Let's dispell even thinking of going there, towards any sort of reliance on a gizmo as being a possible SOLUTION for "deficiencies" as being your "go-to" early on, okay? >:( <-----Don't mean the "mad" face in anyway personally, but then again I kinda do! I think you know what I mean. ;)

I'll see you down the DZ this weekend. Go see the jumper I am referring you to. She will be there. All will become clear to you then, grasshopper.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

:)Great! insider information -- the best kind!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Now I know how that sounds, but it has been medically proven (Or so I've seen on TV/Radio etc - I'm NOT a doctor BTW) that females haven't got as much ability as males to judge distances / spatial awareness.

Actually, I know a female skydiving doctor who will take newb women over to the side and tell them not to get frustrated about their landings for the reasons you described and give them little pointers to help them out with their landings. .
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.