scaryshari

Society and Skydiving Related Injuries

Have any of you been hurt in the sport and certain whuffo folks treat you like total dog shit as if you asked for it?

It's not as if you meaningfully advertise your injury and say..."hey look what I did skydiving" - I mean, for those you are obligated to tell the truth to..

Inquiring minds want to know.

is

Yes I have... but then I'm always sure to point out that for example my brother broke a leg playing a round of golf... :D

and no I didn't advertize my injury as such... I usually would say something like "I got in a disagreement with the earth, she felt I should stop, I felt I should keep going, unfortunately she won." :D

oh, for what its worth... I broke a couple of metacarpals in my left hand.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have to agree. While I haven't been seriously injured while skydiving, I have had plenty of bruises, limps, and a huge hole in my hand from a bad road landing. Some people ask and don't know how to reply when I've told them it was skydiving. However, I had a car wreck in 2003 and had to have neck surgery a year later. When I tell skydivers or whuffos that I have a fusion in my neck, their first question is usually, "Is it from skydiving?" Go figure. :|

I femured.

Told whuffos I was hit by a car.

t

So I'm not the only one lying to whuffos! My back is still healing from a compression fracture. I tell whuffos it was a motorcycle accident.:P It's none of their damn business anyway.

Of course I tell the truth to all the medical people helping me. I was surprised at the lack of censure from nurses and doctors; they mostly just listen, nod, and advise me to be more careful in the future. :)

Matt

I femured.

Told whuffos I was hit by a car.

t

I've done exactly the same thing with sprained ankles and knees (knock wood, no broken bones yet). ("I fell down the stairs; I fell off my bike", etc.)
I'm sure my reason is the same as yours. Who the f*** needs the comments?

Been there..........
I've had a few people tell me I was crazy, especially when I returned to the sport. The worst (or most ironic) was when I was at a backyard wedding reception in my cast. It was August, I was hot, uncomfortable and still in pain but I made the effort to be there because it was important to my guy. Of course everyone wanted to hear the story and share their own. This nasty woman I had only just met told me I deserved to break my ankle because I did it skydiving. Here's the kicker- she'd had an almost identical injury tripping over a sack of groceries that her kids didn't put away while she was cooking them dinner. My guy was so offended by what she said to me that he told her straight out- "At least she hurt herself doing something she really enjoyed!"

The thing is, I've met people who were more seriously injured doing the most mundane things. Cleaning, vaccuming. walking across a parking lot. Anyway, maybe I'm lucky because I encountered way more nice and supportive people than I did assholes the whole time I was recovering.

How IS the recovery process going, anyway?

she'd had an almost identical injury tripping over a sack of groceries that her kids didn't put away while she was cooking them dinner.

hmmmmm-- X-Treme Cooking :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Shari,

Make shit up.:D I broke my Tibia in February and got tired of all the, " What, your chute didn't open?" :| One of my favorite stories to tell was, You know that book, the Joy of Sex?? Well in chapter five there is a typo that you REALLY need to watch out for.:D Then just walk (hobble) away. The look on their faces was priceless and it gave me something to laugh aboutl.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I've met people who were more seriously injured doing the most mundane things.

I tore two ligaments in my ankle from being pushed off a kerb and had to take 3 months off from jumping.

The only consoling thing about it all was that I was too pissed to feel the pain!

OK, I have to ask- how is a motorcycle accident any *better* than a skydiving accident?

It's better in that some random whuffo sees riding a bike as a "normal" activity, so I don't have to listen to any preaching about the suicidal tendencies that I must have because I skydive.:S

Matt

OK, I have to ask- how is a motorcycle accident any *better* than a skydiving accident?

It's better in that some random whuffo sees riding a bike as a "normal" activity, so I don't have to listen to any preaching about the suicidal tendencies that I must have because I skydive.:S

Exactly the correct answer. It's all a matter of perception. Somehow, riding down the interstate at 80 mph on a bike with NO HELMET is seen in whuffo society as "normal", while skydiving, with all of its gear safety redundancies, EP's upon EP's, copious training, S&TA's, etc., etc. is "suicidal".

Them: "Motorcycles are safer than skydiving. If your motorcycle breaks down, you don't die."

Me: "Really? If you fall off your bike at 70 mph, I'd like to see you open your reserve."

That usually ends the discussion.

I've been in the motorcycle business a long time and have been racing dirtbikes and streetbikes as long as I can remember. It still surprises me everytime that motorcycle people think I'm 'suicidal' for jumping out of an airplane but are 'impressed' that I go 150mph with my knee touching the ground or jump 60+ feet through the air at 60mph. It's funny, my desktop picture on my computer at work is of me and 2 friends FF'ing, customers look at it and go "Is that you? That's fucking craaaaazy, I'd never jump out of an airplane!" Then they buy a brand new GSXR1000 with no motorcycle experience whatsoever :S

I looked at highway stats a year or so ago and calculated that one skydive is, on average, as likely to kill you as 30 miles on a motorcycle on the highways. Seems pretty even to me. Of course, it all depends on how you ride and how you skydive, but it at least shows they are in the same ballpark.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Have any of you been hurt in the sport and certain whuffo folks treat you like total dog shit as if you asked for it?

It's not as if you meaningfully advertise your injury and say..."hey look what I did skydiving" - I mean, for those you are obligated to tell the truth to..

Inquiring minds want to know.

Funnily enough... no, and almost everyone at work was actually really sympathetic and understanding. But very few can understand why I won't quit.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Not in the hospital...they see more bike victims, therefore it's their mission to get your promise not ti ride anymore.