fichmant

parents agreement... help!

Hi I am 17 years old
so you gassed it, I need my parents agreement for starting an AFF course
I did 1 tandem to years ago, but my parents agreed there because of 2 reasons
1. it was there I idea (well my mom idea but its the same)
2. we deiced about it on the the spot there was no time for thinking
I will give a Short version of what happened ...
My uncle is a pilot so he invited us for an airshow
in the airshow there were skydivers that did some tandem jumps
then my mother asked me: "Tomer do you want to Skydive?" (she is expecting to hear 'NO!..... i will pass' )
well you gassed it I answered: "hell yesss!!!1" well not exactly but close enough..
so because all of the excitement that was in the air she didn't think too much about the risks at least until she started signing the papers but she signed at the end

and ya... it was blast!!!!!
i can remember almost every second of it.... after 2 years!

well lets continue with the story... my mother didn't care to send me to a SL course and i think she didn't care about sending me to an AAF course
well at list until she discovered that she need to sign some papers
well after that she entered an auto 'no' Mode
BAW my father is thinking that its crazy but if i will mange to convince my mom he will probably say yes at the end... at list I hoping so...

oh BAW I know the risks involve and I thought about it a lot!! so I decided that even if I would mange convinced them today (ya right...) I wont start the course before I would get laid...
well I am not going to risk my Life when i am still virgin... (ya ya you can laugh but I am 17 :) and you are not :P ) but don't worry about that I am working on that and it will be handle soon.... :-P

damm I am writing a lot
so here it's in short
oh the hell I can Convinced my parents and make them thinking that it's pretty much a safe sport! (which it is!)

oh anther point you need to consider is: in case you are thinking 'why the hell you don't wait to be 18....' well the answered is that if I won't do it NOW! my next opportunity will be when I will be 21 (I am living in Israel so I am going to serve 3 years in the ARMY) and after the ARMY there is of course the university and... and in others words not to much time for the AFF course

ya ya I know I writing a lot but I do need your help!
so what do you say?
give me your suggestion

thanks in Advanced
Tomer

oh the hell I can Convinced my parents and make them thinking that it's pretty much a safe sport! (which it is!)

No, it's not a "safe" sport. There are things you can try to do to make your jumps more safe, but there is definite risk of death on every jump. Even when you do everything right, some other guy can do something stupid that will take you out.

Who is going to pay for you to go through AFF and to get you a rig? Do you have the thousands of dollars necessary to do it? In addition, I don't really see the point in going through your training now when you even say you're not going to have the opportunity to keep skydiving for the next few years.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

No, it's not a "safe" sport. There are things you can try to do to make your jumps more safe, but there is definite risk of death on every jump. Even when you do everything right, some other guy can do something stupid that will take you out.

Who is going to pay for you to go through AFF and to get you a rig? Do you have the thousands of dollars necessary to do it? In addition, I don't really see the point in going through your training now when you even say you're not going to have the opportunity to keep skydiving for the next few years.

"Moms" can be such a 'Kill Joy';)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

AMEN.
No point in starting until you can afford it and keep jumping.

Wait till you have some money behind you.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Look at it from your moms view, say you do go in (which is a possibility, no one is to good to die when throwing yourself at a object as big as say, the earth) okay so back to you going in, your mother signing permission for you... her feeling guilt because she is the one who gave said permission... therefore she could have pervented it, think of the life she would lead from that moment on.

I would NEVER give my kids permission (at least now) to jump. Its an adult decsion ... and its one you have to make... you cant relay on others in this sport so wait until you are old enough to take the risk without putting others in control, that way when / if you go in its your name on the waiver, and your name signing the statement that you are aware of the risks.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I know its not the safeties sport in the world but for an extreme sport it's considering to be pretty safe isn't it, beside that there are risks on everything we do, I can drive in my car (I don't have a car or a licence yet but follow my thinking line) and Oby all the rules but a drunk driver won't stop in red light and would hit my car, who knows what will happen

of course I told this to my parents and there response was you got to drive your car you don't Must jump out of an airplane....

now about the money I can pay for 3/4 of the course (my parents can give me the rest) and I found a Job that after 2 month will give me enough money for the all course ( in case my parents would say that they aren't going to support my financial)

now the Time
this is anther issue that I explained to my parents they agreed with me about it but they said it's still not enough to convince them

I will explain it shortly lets say I start the course when I am 18 (I will probably will have 2~4 months before I would have say good bye to my civics life and will hello to my military and lets say I even finished it and got my A licence before Joining the army, I Will be able to be in the DZ once in 2 mounths the result will be much less experience jumper, then a skydiver that Jump twice to 3 times in 2 weeks for an all year... and then start to jump in one weekend every 2 months

now off course i always can wait 6 years from and then done the AFF course
but Its HARD!!

I would NEVER give my kids permission (at least now) to jump.

Just out of curiosity.... Do you or any of your family members jump?
For some reason i was thinking you were a non-jumper.

I know lots of kids that started jumping when they were 17 with parents permission but the thing is they can afford it.

I don't agree with any of us giving this kid ideas to use against his parents either. Not our place.

The thing is if i had children they would be jumping as soon as they were allowed by regulations to do so. I grew up doing motocross, rugby, competition trampoline, rally driving, surfing. I think each one of those is just as dangerous if not more dangerous than skydiving.

The only reason i dont think kids should be jumping is if they do not have enough money to pay for it. It is a very expensive sport. I was lucky with some of my sports that i could not afford to do when i was a kid and the only reason i could was cause older family members were involved.

The whole thing of it not being safe, well nothing is, just with skydiving you are conciously putting your life at risk every time cause of the one danger that worries you about the sport.

With racing my dirt bike i use to worry about breaking a leg. With skydiving on at least 50% of my jumps i think of the thought of dying on the way up to altitude.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

but a drunk driver won't stop in red light and would hit my car, who knows what will happen

Exactly...BUT here this is what someone else might come out of the blue and do to you with out expecting it.

With skydiving you are presenting yourself to death and then saving your life.

We all put ourselves 10 seconds away from deaths door on purpose everytime we jump. We think quick and save our lives.

Bit different from the dangers of someone might knock me over by a car. With skydiving you are standing in front of the car playing chicken till the car is 10 feet in front of you at 100mph.

Once you have paid for the course then you need to pay for reserve packs, license, consols, coaching, gear hire, buying gear, getting to the dropzone, 'Firsts", . and jumps to stay current. The course is the cheapest part.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Do you or any of your family members jump?
For some reason i was thinking you were a non-jumper.

Ive close to 100 jumps... I am a single mother and in the sport a little over a year.

I know lots of kids that started jumping when they were 17 with parents permission but the thing is they can afford it.

You are not lots of kids, you are your parents kid and they are saying no. You can not compare yourself to others.

The thing is if i had children they would be jumping as soon as they were allowed by regulations to do so. I grew up doing motocross, rugby, competition trampoline, rally driving, surfing. I think each one of those is just as dangerous if not more dangerous than skydiving.

Allowed by regulations is 18 in most places. You are not legally allowed to enter into a contract, a waiver at a DZ is a contract.

The only reason i dont think kids should be jumping is if they do not have enough money to pay for it.

Have you seen the video of the 11 ish (not sure the exact age of the child) whose parents put them out for a hop and pop and the parachute didnt deploy? What about reading the incident forums? Read those yet? You are greatly reducing the risks of this sport in your own mind... maybe thats how you justify getting into the sport. You however can not expect your parents to accept it and not only that give you permission to do it and then pay for it.

The whole thing of it not being safe, well nothing is, just with skydiving you are conciously putting your life at risk every time cause of the one danger that worries you about the sport.

Yes , in skydiving you are choosing to accept the risks. Your not old enough to accept that risk because it involves waivers at most DZs.

With racing my dirt bike i use to worry about breaking a leg. With skydiving on at least 50% of my jumps i think of the thought of dying on the way up to altitude.

EVERY jump on the way to altitude I thought "damn I am a idiot, I hope I dont die in front of my friends" EVERY pull time I was prepared for a mal, and EVERY landing I was prepared to femur.

AMEN.
No point in starting until you can afford it and keep jumping.

Wait till you have some money behind you.

From personal experience I do not agree with that.
I started when I was 18, and did not have nearly enough money. Surprisingly enough, it was a hell of an incentive to find ways to get some.

Dude, chill. The sky is still going to be there when you are a legal adult and are able to make those decisions yourself.;)

Meanwhile, if you really do want to talk your parents into this, please do not try to blabber up day and night about how safe this is and how your parents should just let you go and do it. Sit down and calmly ask which worries they have and how you can address them. If you listen to them voice their concerns odds are far better that you will get them to listen to you when you have thought it through and done your research.

For the record most people here take the "adult choice" bit rather seriously. I have long since stopped trying to talk friends and relatives into taking up jumping. It is just not a risk-free activity. The person electing to make the leap out of a plane must be fully aware that this is a potentially lethal activity. I on the other hand would never be able to live with myself, if a friend of mine went in after being talked into jumping by me. This line of reasoning is why few people here will help you convince your parents.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

You are not lots of kids, you are your parents kid and they are saying no. You can not compare yourself to others

I am not actually my parents kid. More of my parents grown son.:P

In my reference to lots of other kids, i was not reffering to the age of under 17 as in new zealand you must be a minimum of 17 before doing AFF.

What about the kids that had like 1500 jumps at the age of 17? ( i think that was around their jump numbers ). They seem to be doing alright.

If the parents say yes with it, i see nothing wrong with it. it has been proven many many times that the ones that start young are pretty fucking good at the sport.
I read the incident threads and it seems to me anybody can die doing a hop'n'pop. Age does not make a difference.
Training is what makes the difference. as well as natural talent.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

ya I am starting to get yours points :-(

I gass the best thing is to wait or volunteer to the AirBorne ahhh shit I thought on volunteer to an SF unit...

well you put here anther point I gass, a skydiver parent point.... well I am going to consider these point too :-( and I probably will stop bother my parents now well at list untill I will get older

(my parents realy need to thank you...)

But there realy should be a law againset teanagers doing dndames its toooo hard to wait!!!!!

think about that..

na Just Kidding :)

dam its hard
______
Tomer

If the parents say yes with it, i see nothing wrong with it.

I agree but his parents are not saying yes. Therefore I dont agree with him perticually. Plus it kinda itches a sore spot when people downplay the risks involved.

many times that the ones that start young are pretty fucking good at the sport.

Yup, I agree in some respect, my youngest son had a perfect arch in the tunnel and Ive seen other kids doing well in this sport in the actual air.

Age does not make a difference.

In a way it does, if a parent states in a waiver they allow their child to jump and that child jumps and dies that parent will live with the guilt the rest of thier days. Age makes a big difference... after all he hasnt even gotten laid yet why would he want to take the risks lol

What about reading the incident forums? Read those yet? You are greatly reducing the risks of this sport in your own mind... maybe thats how you justify getting into the sport.

Have you read the incident forums of driving a motor car?
You get your license at the age of 15-16 in alot of countries.

Driving will always be alot more dangerous than skydiving. Who does break checks on their car before they get in it? We have more control over our parachutes than in a car.

If the guy can afford it and the parents say yes, hell, go for it. If they say no, tough shit. my parents said no to me having a beer so i waited till i was of legall age.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Please tell me you are not saying driving is more dangerous then skydiving? Hasnt that been debuked enough in these forums?

Well i am. . I do not know anybody who has died skydiving.

My personal experience.

The driving vs skydiving theory has never been debunked.

it is more dangerous. You have no control over your car when in a skid, when another car is screaming aat you in the wet, when another car crashes and then hits you, when breaks fail blah blah blah. Skydiving is much more safer. there are 20 canopies in the sky at once, hundreds of cars on the motor way at once all going 70mph next to each other with no protection.

Yes, Driving is more dangerous than skydiving. In skydiving we do everything we can to make it safe, driving, we do nothing to make it safe before we get in the car. We have no control over other drivers on the road, we have lots of control over who we jump with, where we get out of the plane, where we land, where we pull, and the gear checks we do.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Well i am. . I do not know anybody who has died skydiving

Give it time... you will

I wont get into the car vs skydiving thing, its everywhere on here ...
:S

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=530842;search_string=skydiving%20vs%20driving;#530842

Well i hope i dont know anyone who dies skydiving. I see no reason why you should say that i will either??

I am sorry you do know people.

On the other hand, i lost my 2 best mates in a car accident and three months later another and then 8 months later 2 more. Plus many more that i knew but would not say are good friends. And i come from a country of 4 million people. Nobody i knew there died skydiving.

Lets not get into this argument though. It never ends;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Hey dude, if you really want to skydive you will find a way. I did some jumps last year with a guy 14 or 15 years old and he had something like 1500 ish jumps. You are way behind, get on that! My suggestion would be to tell them you will never speak to them again if they do not agree with this. Or what about an aunt or uncle that could sign for you? You are more than likely to die sitting there from the stress of not skydiving than actually jumping.;)

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land

Please tell me you are not saying driving is more dangerous then skydiving? Hasnt that been debuked enough in these forums?

hi hi hi, I am new at this fourm... but i am thinking that if you will go to the statics in some countreys you will see that the numbers of Fatalits in skydiving is much more lower then the Fatalities from car accident... take Israel for exmple..

Well i hope i dont know anyone who dies skydiving. I see no reason why you should say that i will either??

I hope you dont either, when I started the sport Kitty told me if I stayed long enough eventually I would... she was right, and it hurts.

Back to the original poster. If he showed maturity to his parents on why he feels he is capable of skydiving before 18 and he proves he can afford it without them aiding in the cost then more power to him. Its all about what his parents say and he should respect it. Maybe if he asks what in perticular they are looking for in regards to agreeing to it. Then come back and research it for them.

Hey dude, if you really want to skydive you will find a way. I did some jumps last year with a guy 14 or 15 years old and he had something like 1500 ish jumps. You are way behind, get on that! My suggestion would be to tell them you will never speak to them again if they do not agree with this. Or what about an aunt or uncle that could sign for you? You are more than likely to die sitting there from the stress of not skydiving than actually jumping.;)

mmmmmm
I think I got some....;)

But I will prbbaly try talk to them and see whats realy bother them about it
and I will try the present it them in ather way..

No man, screw "try the present it them in ather way" Just get someone else to sign for you, then go and jump. Just make sure to get video and show it to them after and be like "screw you mom and dad, I can do whatever the hell I want":D

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land