adventurechick

Flying vs. Falling

It's falling. But.....

An airplane will fall too without a power source. I seem to remember someone attaching rockets to their legs and "FLYING" a wingsuit. (See: www.birdman.com).

You are flying your body, you may not be flying and sustaining or gaining altitude, but you are able to make horizontal movement across the ground hence flying. Driving is also making horizontal movement - Travelling, and the same relationship you could say running is not travelling, but it is.

So the final answer.....BOTH. You are falling and you are flying. Just like an airplane will if it doesn't have thrust.

I was watching this thread dying not to jump in, but I couldn't resist. No one is wrong in the thread, it's all subjective!

Have a good jumping weekend boys and girls, I know I will!

Skies!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I was thinking that flying meant that gaining altitude was a requisite as well but it was not indicated in the dictionary.

i know. i was just trying to pipe in my 2 cents. :S i'm just a new student anyway, of couse, you lot would have more information about what you think it is.

i just thought having a 'newbie' opinion and what i have gathered thus far would be of some interest compare to the veterans of the sport and/or hobby.

-=+ Skyliber, Disynthegrate, & Nucleaire +=-

My friends get mad at me whenever I mention we were flying.... they all remark with, "you're not flying, you're falling."

So what is it... flying or falling?

Tell them... "If riding in an airplane is flying, is then riding in a boat swimming?" SHUT-UP AND JUMP!!!

Give it a few years, you're still a low time jumper, if you keep going at it hardcore, you'll soon have no whuffo friends... all your friends will be jumpers... :P... yes, be afraid, be very afraid!

isn't it, "If riding in a boat isn't swimming then riding in an airplane isn't flying..."?

this sentence is a killer!

My friends get mad at me whenever I mention we were flying.... they all remark with, "you're not flying, you're falling."

So what is it... flying or falling?

Tell them... "If riding in an airplane is flying, is then riding in a boat swimming?" SHUT-UP AND JUMP!!!

Give it a few years, you're still a low time jumper, if you keep going at it hardcore, you'll soon have no whuffo friends... all your friends will be jumpers... :P... yes, be afraid, be very afraid!

isn't it, "If riding in a boat isn't swimming then riding in an airplane isn't flying..."?

this sentence is a killer!

Nope...it's from Poynter's book.... rough quote: "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. You have to get into the environment to experience it."

That's pretty close, I think... it's been probably 15 years since I read the book, but it's still stuck with me pretty well...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

By the way, when you're under canopy, unless you're in one hell of a thermal, you'll be losing altitude, too, not gaining or even maintaining it (except during a flare.)

You forgot about cloud suck, wave lift and surfing the ridge lift off the leading edge of a cloud. Depending on your canopy 1000 fpm thermal is usually enough to maintain and that's really just an average one.

In Reply To
By the way, when you're under canopy, unless you're in one hell of a thermal, you'll be losing altitude, too, not gaining or even maintaining it (except during a flare.)

You forgot about cloud suck, wave lift and surfing the ridge lift off the leading edge of a cloud. Depending on your canopy 1000 fpm thermal is usually enough to maintain and that's really just an average one.

Falling is uncontrolled descent.
Flying is controlled maintenence or gain of altitude.

GLIDING is controlled descent whether RW, FF, tracking or wingsuiting. Or "flying" squirrels.

IMnotsoHO of course.

Good luck gaining altitude, except on rare and brief occasions, on a skydiving canopy. It's a glider too.

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

When you can go up in freefall, you're flying. Otherwise you're falling.

Note: you don't have to be able to go up indefinitely - unpowered aircraft will run out of airspeed, powered ones fuel, and birds will run out of energy. You just have to be able to go up for a bit.

When you can go up in freefall, you're flying. Otherwise you're falling.

Note: you don't have to be able to go up indefinitely - unpowered aircraft will run out of airspeed, powered ones fuel, and birds will run out of energy. You just have to be able to go up for a bit.

what about wingsuit pilots, are they falling or flying? if you look at the oxford english definition then there are both.

Flying -
[sic] To move through the air by means of wings or winglike parts.

Falling -
[sic] To drop or come down freely under the influence of gravity.

You dont have to be able to "go up" against gravity to be considered flying.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

what about wingsuit pilots, are they falling or flying?

Dunno. Can they go up? And I'm not talking about on a high-speed tailgate exit either...

You dont have to be able to "go up" against gravity to be considered flying.....

True. I'd never really looked up the definition before - "going up" was just where I personally put the marker. I know when doing 4-way that I'm falling, not flying (no smart remarks, boyo :P).

Wingsuit jumpers can indeed fall at a rate high enough to gain enough forward speed to actually climb. Albeit passing through a given altitude the amount of climb being very very little, can actually swoop through a given altitude. Ask 1 who has done and or seen it. That and controlled direction constitutes "true flight". Same as for a glider. A parafoil with the right wing loading and no motor, can stay aloft indefinatly in the right cliff rise or thermal if all conditions are right. Controlling direction of "fall" also constitututes true "flight". There is a vid on skydive movies where jumpers actually climbed past point of launch because of lift generated by cliff updraft on base canopies. I'm pretty sure those base jumpers would consider that "flying" all science aside.:P
I'm fine...crazy people don't know they're crazy...No,Really!

A good tracking dive feels a lot more like flying than any other discipline IMO. It feels a lot like flying... makes me somewhat understand why someone would spend half a good canopy amount of money on one of those silly birdsuits...

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson