jacketsdb23

Packing

I am truly amazed to see how many people pay someone to pack for them. I understand in a business you need people to pack tandem/student rigs. But for up-jumpers why do so many people pay for this?

NOTE: I have packed for $$ and have benefited from this. I am not knocking it, just trying to see the reasons for having someone pack.

I know in some instances, instructors are teaching students, or team members are debriefing jumps and don't have the time/make the time to pack for themselves. However, i've also seen plenty of jumpers with obviously lots of extra $ and just don't like packing. Again, I am not knocking this, its completely up to the individual jumper who packs their rig and whether they want to jump it.

I know for me personally, several reasons why I pack for myself:

1) ACCOUNTABILITY: I have 100% accountability for the pack job.

2) KNOWLEDGE: I learn about the canopy by doing some minor changes in the pack job if i'm unhappy with the openings.

3) INSPECTION: I tend to think I would look over my gear a little more thorough than someone else. ( This could be BS - just my thoughts)

4) Every 4 packs jobs is a jump ticket for myself! :P

Your thoughts/opinions?
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

i have paid because i suck at packing, and my new rig is built for a 170, i am jumping a 190 so i have a hell of a time getting the container closed.
however, considering i am jumping an original Sabre and my (as in i packed it) last few packjobs have been super sweet slow openings i am much less inclined to pay for a packjob that might spank me.
plus i am getting better at it, and faster.

lots of days i would still pay for it though....i just hate packing that much. [:/]

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Packing is a "treat." When I'm on vacation AND there is a packer that I know and trust, I'll "treat" myself to a packer (or if the canopy is new :D). Otherwise, I pack for myself.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I found that when i was in the states earlier this year. I just wasn't up to packing in that type off heat and humidity with a zp canopy less than 100 jumps on it :|, it was something i wasn't used to coming from a relatively colder climate.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Packing sucks!!:S

I would rather have a smoke and a bottle of water and watch the videos from the jump and then go do it all again.

The price of packing for me i just incorporate into a jump ticket and i know my mate wants to pack to earn money so she too can jump so i give her my rig to pack to help out.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I typically pay someone to pack because I hate doing it. I'd rather spend that time hanging and talking with others rather than sweating my arse off when it's over 100 degrees (I jump in AZ). But I usually don't have someone pack after the last jump of the day...I'll take the unpacked rig home and pack it up at my leisure. That way I make sure that I always "remember" how to pack and have a chance to inspect my gear. You should trust your packer and even watch him/her pack your rig occassionally so you know what type of work they do. If your openings are inconsistent or hard, tell your packer or find another one. Although they pack fast, I've found that normally it's not becuase they cut corners or are careless, it's becuase they do it so much its like second nature. I can do more jumps in a day because I can make a quicker turnaround and get on another load sooner and I'm not as tired.

I come from a small cessna dz where the fun jumpers usually pack their own gear and i do that where as the packers are usually just packing student and tandem rigs. Its just i wasn't prepared for that type off heat and humidity level tried i think it was twice to pack it after that packers did it :|

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

New zp canopy... until it's broken in I'll let a packer fight with it...

Ah, grasshopper, you'll never then be truely one with your gear... successfully mastering the packing of new ZP is a right of passage in this sport... embrace it, be the nylon... :P

----

Anyway, I too am amazed at folks who don't ever pack for themselves... ya know that ones, the ones who packed a few times to get their A-License and then couldn't be bothered... we've got one at my DZ that won't pack for himself and gets "put-off" when the packers are too busy to get him on every load because they've got Tandem Rigs and Student Rigs to do first... he'll never get the spiritual side of the sport... :S

Ah, grasshopper, you'll never then be truely one with your gear... successfully mastering the packing of new ZP is a right of passage in this sport... embrace it, be the nylon... :P

Ahhhhh the Zen of packing... :D
I try to pack it once/day here at home and have jumped my own pack job... but for now, until it's not quite a slippery bag of snot I'll let a packer deal with it so I can make more than 2 jumps/day... :D
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I learned to pack after AFF6 and jumped my own pack on AFF 7. I've been hooked on the rush ever since. I still have about 6 student tickets left. I currently have 66 jumps.
It is hard work and good exercise. You don't see too many fat packers.

Packing is a "treat." When I'm on vacation AND there is a packer that I know and trust, I'll "treat" myself to a packer (or if the canopy is new :D). Otherwise, I pack for myself.

I'm with you sister;) I was thrilled to find some one I trusted while doing WT to pack for me. If not, I would have been stuck packing in that heat.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I usually pack myself, but sometimes you wanna be on that "one more" load, and end up being late for something else, so I'll pay a packer to pack/put away my rig. I also usually tip them. That said, I also enjoy testing various packing methods for one of my rigs, and so will have a packer show me how they do it differently, and I'll pay for that pack too. In other words, it's sometimes a learning experience and sometimes a convenience.

[edit] ironically, just as I was posting this, a friend sent me a link to a story that I'd not read. Apologies if this is an old story, but I thought it's somewhat on-topic, and a good read. http://www.usnaweb.org/parachute.html

My dz had a packing course on Friday night. I was there that day but had to get into work that night to cover my coworker who I offered to do his shift so he can go on his first year anniversary. Of course, after I offered, I found out about the course!!

But, yeah, I, too, am watching those guys. I try to not let them know, I don't want to annoy or disturb or make them feel uncomfortable when packing your life saving equipment. :P

-=+ Skyliber, Disynthegrate, & Nucleaire +=-

That's normal.

You're all crazy, I say. I'll probably do it myself too, when I am there. :S

That's not crazy - that's by far the safest way to do it. That way, if you screwed up and have a super-fast opening you're not at terminal, so you don't get smacked as hard. At Dallas, and many others, hop-n-pops jump at 5 grand, so if you deploy right away you are deploying higher than virtually all full-alititude jumps, so you have more time to deal with it if you did pack a mal.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

That's not crazy - that's by far the safest way to do it. That way, if you screwed up and have a super-fast opening you're not at terminal, so you don't get smacked as hard. At Dallas, and many others, hop-n-pops jump at 5 grand, so if you deploy right away you are deploying higher than virtually all full-alititude jumps, so you have more time to deal with it if you did pack a mal.

I know. I was just trying to joke. Either, I'm just not funny or text is quite boring! I swear I would have killed with that line have I had an Soprano accent or Schwarzenegger impress. Hell, a nice middle eastern would have done it. B|

You wouldn't happen to know anything to soften the 'pain' in the upper legs when you are being slowed down when the parachute opens? Just being forced down into the harass. Because man, my five jumps yesterday are killing me.

-=+ Skyliber, Disynthegrate, & Nucleaire +=-

Packing sucks!!

I must disagree with. Give me some good tunes and a great area (atomphere). And I am there.

If someone is just too .... to pack for themselves Ill do it. Sure Ill take your money and make sure that it is done well.. but also give you some points on how to help keep that gear working.. I for a matter of fact will trace the control lines down and remove the twist. Ive seen some that where twisted from toggles to the cascade. This just put ware and tare that is not needed. So if it keeps you flying and me five dollars more then great. ...

When I was in the army 25 a day was the requirement. Do that and go home... So its no big deal here... Ive even did 50 in one day starting at 7 till 5.. Just had to be motivated to do it....

So with that its still cash for me....even more if its a reserve....:)
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Because man, my five jumps yesterday are killing me.

Suck it up, cupcake.

You're probably jumping student gear right now with one-size-fits-none adjustable harnesses. Once you get your own gear it will be worlds more comfortable, even if it isn't custom.

In the meantime, I found that wearing spandex under my clothes helped a little. Another guy swore by his padded biking shorts.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

5 pack jobs in the day is about my limit before it gets to be too much of a drag. For a 6-7 jump day, I'd rather have the luxury of spending the down time in recovery and dive briefing/planning.

When I return from this broken shoulder, I think I'll be using packers entirely, or maybe all but the first one at home until I feel strong enough.