bdev

Rig as hand luggage on RyanAir ?

...on several domestic carriers ... I once had to chat up a TSA guy

A discussion of US domestic carrier and TSA policy doesn't really apply to an airline that only flies in Europe :P.

Lastly, my rig weight has never been an issue -- it was around 25 pounds or so when I used to fly a 190.

Ryanair are, or were 2yrs ago, anal about the weight of carry-on luggage.

Well i made my flight yesterday. (sitting in oc right now and boy oh boy is it freakin sweet) I was pretty suprised. Security didn't say one word about my rig. I was ready for it too. Well, I still have 2 more flights i have to make before july 7th. Hopefully they will go just as smoothly
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Well i'm back from Empuria tonight from a long weekend and had a fantastic time!

Anyways, as for the luggage, it is a 20kg limit for checked in baggage which you need to pay 5 pounds for each way or 2.50 if you pay before you get there.

As for the hand luggage, i bought my rig on board with no questions asked. The size of my bag is slighty over the limit and so was the weight. They never asked me about the hand luggage or even checked the weight and dimensions of it.

I have flown 3 times now with rynair and brought my rig as hand luggage and never been questioned on any times.

Hope that helps.

:SFriend of mine flying from Italy to Gran canaria was carrying his rig (very small) as hand baggage. In Madrid he was stopped by airport police from boarding, they really wanted to know WHY he was boarding a plane with a canopy, as they claimed he could be motivated to jump en route. he tried to explain that life still had a lot to offer and departing a comm. jet at 30 000ft at 600 knots and over an ocean was not the best way to start a vacation. (they even argued he could have a boat waiting) anyway, in the end he was allowed to board, though was required to present himself to the authorities on arrival to prove he had not slipped out un-noticed over the Atlantic.....true story CD
When I go, I want to pass away in my sleep, just like my dear old Grandmother, NOT screaming like the passengers in the car she was driving.

Ryanair are, or were 2yrs ago, anal about the weight of carry-on luggage.

Last summer they were still anal about it too. Luggage that was fine on American Airlines from the states to Europe cost us $300 extra on Ryan Air between Brussles and London. Lesson learned to read all of the small print on the website! [:/]
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've taken my rig as hand luggage on a few ocassions to Empuria. My rig weighs 9kg (Ryanair limit = 10kg).

Pack the CAA info for your AAD and take along an x-ray card in case the monkeys don't understand what it is! It's worth keeping your FAI & BPA with you too so that you're not mistaken for something else ;)

CAA: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/830/dgo_passengerfaqs.pdf
X-RAY CARD: http://www.vigil.aero/pdf/1997.pdf

Also remember to leave your hook-knife in your checked-in baggage and place your rig on a tray before sending through the x-ray machine.

Have a brilliant trip!

i went to gap (france) with my uni club and bristol uni club at the end of june and we flew with ryanair. i dont have my own rig but about 6 peope on our trip took their own rigs. At first the people on checkin at stanstead said that rigs were not allowed as hand luggage, so we asked to speak to a supervisor and showed them the tsa letter and cypress card; after this they agreed to let the rigs on as hand luggage. security didnt give us any problems, they didnt even ask any questions. on the way back checkin went fine at grenoble airport, but this time it was security that was the problem. they wanted to open the rig, including the reserve. they said that without doing this the rig would have to be checked in, so we asked for a supervisor and were finally allowed to take the rig on as hand luggage. we were surprised by this at grenoble, as there is a dz at the airport! anyway everything worked out fine in the end, they wernt bothered by the size or weight of the rigs.

University of Portsmouth Skydive Club