hobbes4star

space jump

Breaking the sound barrier in freefall? Wouldn't that hurt your ears?

With what noise, the one you left after yourself because your faster than it?:D
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

The object breaking the soundbarrier cant hear the "boom"

I would love to "feel" it on my toes...... I would be sooooo into that..can I volunteer anywhere????

Heck with the drouge.. I would just make it a SPEED SKYDIVE....

haha...yea, if it happens, that'll be cool! but that is.....if it happens...

I was joking, thanks...I saw on nightline a few weeks back a guy back in the 60's did this from a balloon. Just as he reached the outside of the atmosphere as he could see the curve of the earth he jumped and lived. Don't remember the particulars but it happened.
I should have been a kickass drummer and a world famous first base man.

I was joking, thanks...I saw on nightline a few weeks back a guy back in the 60's did this from a balloon. Just as he reached the outside of the atmosphere as he could see the curve of the earth he jumped and lived. Don't remember the particulars but it happened.

Col. Joe Kittinger:

http://www.af.mil/history/person.asp?dec=&pid=123006518
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Awwww he's gonna be in a capsule? What a baby. When Col. Joe Kittinger did it, he just bundled up for the ride.

According to the articles, he's allegedly going to jump out of the capsule -- and without a stabilizing drogue that Kittinger used. The capsule parachutes down separately.

At least, that's how I interpreted the articles...

Will believe it when it happens; just this seems to be firing up in the news lately...

Doesn't the speed of sound change due to atmospheric composition temperature and density?

The speed of sound is a formula, not constant. 742mph to 775 in a standard atmosphere depending on the temperature. That means that even thoungh that particular speed may be exceeded in the upper atmosphere during freefall, the speed of sound at that particular point would be extremely high and therefore no boom would take place.

This means that .... oh wait .... you where joking about the boom weren't you.

Sometime we geeks have no sesne of humour:P
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

actually the speed of sound in the upper atmosphere would be much slower in the upper atmosphere, the further apart the molecules in the medium that the sound is passing through, the slower the speed of the sound, thats why the speed of sound along a metal pipe or a string is nearly double that of the speed of sound through the air,

sorry, had to clear that up

I think you have it backwards.

The Speed of sound in the upper atmosphere is higher due to the less dense air.

That is why it moves faster when it is warm and slower when it is cold.

Speed of sound is c= the square root of C over P.
C is the co-efficeint of stiffness and P is the density.

That means that the speed of sound is increased by stiffness (like a metal pipe) but decreased by density (like cold and low atmosphere)

I'll stop now, some eyes are starting to glaze over.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

That means that the speed of sound is increased by stiffness (like a metal pipe) but decreased by density (like cold and low atmosphere)

Nope!

The speed of sound increases as density increases! It's not like light, which travels fastest through a vacuum and slower through, say water or glass.

Sound waves need a medium to travel through, which is why they can't travel in a vacuum. Therefore the less material there is, the slower the waves will travel.

Remember in space no-one can here you scream!:P

Soooo, it would therefore be perfectly possible to break the sound barrier in freefall!

Nope!

The speed of sound increases as density increases! It's not like light, which travels fastest through a vacuum and slower through, say water or glass.

Sound waves need a medium to travel through, which is why they can't travel in a vacuum. Therefore the less material there is, the slower the waves will travel.

Remember in space no-one can here you scream!:P

Soooo, it would therefore be perfectly possible to break the sound barrier in freefall!

The effect of atmospheric pressure cancels out when you derive the wave equation for disturbances in a gas. All that is left is a temperature term (as well as some constants like the Cp/Cv ratio). So the speed of sound is lower at high altitude on account of the lower TEMPERATURE, nothing to do with the pressure.

I am a professor of physics, but I don't play one on TV.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ahh

Too simple a formula.

The real formula is

speed of sound is equal to the adiabatic constant x absolute temp x gas constant all over the molecular mass!

I was looking at denominator only 'cause I was thinking density and not any other factors.(c over P)

By the way, I obviously do not believe that a sound wave speeds up or even moves in a vacuum:S That kinda hurt my feelings:(

I was simply looking at the formula too simplisticly