yeyo

Is skydiving a race thing?

A friend for Maryland was visiting the island a couple of months ago. Hes blacker than the night, and I was trying to convince him to do a tandem. He said "get this in your big white head, brothers dont jump out of planes".
I was thinking of a come-back, but nothing came to mind. In our DZ theres only 1 black guy, but hes not normal :P heheh. I dont remember seeing any other brother in any picture or in any movie.
Is it true that brothers dont jump out of planes?
Whats your experience in your DZ?
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I cant think of any at our DZ but that doesn't mean there isn't. Its an interesting point actually. Maybe we should have a race poll!

I don't think that is nessecary. Skydiving is dominated by white males, but there are people from all corners of the world and races that jump.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Uhhhh hello? lol

I'm used to it. Here in Colorado and in Michigan, I've always been the only black guy...doesn't really bother me.
There is another guy here in CO though who's going through AFF, so that was cool to finally see another one B|
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

He said "get this in your big white head, brothers don't jump out of planes".
I was thinking of a come-back, but nothing came to mind.

I've heard something similar from a long time friend...

I asked him if it was because "Playin' Hockey" was taking up to much of his time?!;):ph34r:

....ever tell ya about the time:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=742269#742269

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We got a coloured guy on our dz too. And again, he definetly aint normal... Are you Dumi:D:D:D

Asking if it is a race thing though is just small minded. There are more races out there than just black and white.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Just off the top of my head I can think of seven very-experienced black jumpers at Raeford. Three of them are tandem instructors. Ultimately, in my opinion, people are going to get involved in activities that they get exposed to locally and those which their friends or colleagues partake in. It has positively nothing to do with race, at least around here.

Chuck

Edited to add quickly that my number just went up to nine, with five being tandem instructors and at least three being AFF instructors. That's just here locally.

Dennis Rodman jumps from planes. He's a "brother" ya ask me. Before you argue he doesn't. I saw him jump on video. We all know if it's on video IT HAPPENED! :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The number of brothers/sisters that come to my home DZ can be counted on one hand most seasons. They are few and far between. Last summer, I took a woman for a tandem and during the canopy descent, she turned her head and said : "I just remembered, I'm black, we don't do this crazy stuff." Another one, just last week, said that her mother had scolded her that "Your asses are black, You don't do that crazy cracker shit." I just wonder what else black people consider stuff for crazy white folks.:|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Its not that its "crazy cracker shit." I agree with marc and what he said as well. You also will get involved in whatever your interest are. Yes skydiving is not something that black people are gonna run out to do, but there are those who do it because we like and its fun.

I do stuff because its awesome and I like it. I don't see colors, so me being the one guy on the dz doesn't bother me.

And tink, to answer your question, stuff that I've been called crazy for doing and stuff that only "white" people do are: Skydiving, white water rafting, bungee jumping, hanggliding...etc.

I've already told my family that whenever I get my tandem rating, they're automatically signed up to go...and my grandma was the first to agree to it :D

----Hellfish #707----

I saw him jump on video. We all know if it's on video IT HAPPENED!

I met Dennis twice in the course of a month some time back...B|

The first time was in the book store at John Wayne Airport...he and Carmen Electra were looking at magazines, and HE approached ME to comment on the Skydiving jacket I was wearing. He told me that he'd made a few jumps as 'practice' for a movie.;)

2nd time was outside his beach front home, he was outside so I went over an reintroduced myself...neat guy, we spoke for quite some time...he said he didnt think he would ever get serious about jumping only because the gear AND the airplanes.... "DIDN'T FIT":ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The number of brothers/sisters that come to my home DZ can be counted on one hand most seasons.

Its a shame that more people don't see skydiving as a family thing. I'd love to get my sister to do another tandem.

:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The number of brothers/sisters that come to my home DZ can be counted on one hand most seasons.

Its a shame that more people don't see skydiving as a family thing. I'd love to get my sister to do another tandem.

:P

I'm not sure if you knew or not....but I think you have your meanings a little crossed...

When he said brothers/sisters....he meant as in more or less, black guys and black women....referred to as brothas and sistas....

but if you knew that and was being sarcastic, then pay no attention to me and have a nice day ;)

----Hellfish #707----

Looks like Billvon was right.

I think the commonly accepted standard is that you need at least ten smiley faces, a winky after each sentence and a DISCLAIMER notice to be assured of not being taken to task for a silly reply.

A modified version of my post could now read;

"It's a shame that more people don't see skydiving as a family thing.;) I'd love to get my sister to do another tandem.;)

:D:D:ph34r::ph34r::P:P:ph34r::ph34r::D:D

*Above post is in no way representative of the views of DZ.com, any of its affiliates or users. Avoid contact with eyes. Do not ingest. Keep out of children.*"

Y'know, just incase anyone takes me seriously.

;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

there are a few reasons why they dont persue it like others do. If you did a search - in this forum i think- there is a thread about this question 8-12 mths ago. had some interesting input. it basically ranges from social-economic issues and disposiable income... but over all i agree with psipike - you do whatever your friends are doing unless you are that one loner in the group and then go do your own thing or take power over the group and do it together.

*edit, it's not just blacks - you can probably add asian, indian, native american, eskimo (;)), etc. They do exist in the sport just smaller numbers (at least in US).

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

There are a few people that I work with that tell me all the time. "We don't do that sort of thing!" and I tell them I have video to prove it.

They tell me " Well, they must have been mixed..."

I've had just as many white people tell me it's crazy.

A friend for Maryland was visiting the island a couple of months ago. Hes blacker than the night, and I was trying to convince him to do a tandem. He said "get this in your big white head, brothers dont jump out of planes".
I was thinking of a come-back, but nothing came to mind. In our DZ theres only 1 black guy, but hes not normal :P heheh. I dont remember seeing any other brother in any picture or in any movie.
Whats your experience in your DZ?

There a few black guys at Cross Keys I've jumped with...
__

My mighty steed

Hell,

I did my first 3 static jumps (recreational) in a 206 and the other 3 guys were black.

Military jumps.....different story and the numbers go way up.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?