LearningTOfly

First skydiving injury- July 13

I will post my recollection of this event in hopes that those who may be following in a similar and dangerous skydiving progression may become enlightened before they too learn the hard way....

There I was, 4500 feet- a hop and pop load out of the local Cessna 206. I was last out.

Now, I'm a fairly tall guy, so it took me two tries to get out of that door, but I finally managed to backloop out of it- you know, facing the tail, back to relative wind, pivot out the door and look back up at the plane before finishing the loop- it was that sort of exit. Delay for a second, and pull. The subterminal deployment on the Crossfire seems to be faster than opening at terminal, but it wasn;t anything uncomfortable.

Canopy open and above the rest of the load, I fly to set up my approach: a crosswind 180 gentle hook/ carve with the intent to flare turn to upwind for landing. The rest of the load lands while I am still about 1000 agl, so no conflicts exist.

I reach my initial point (the end of my 'downwind' leg) and initiate a front riser turn to the left. I don;t let up until I've come around the full 180- and when I do, I realize I'm still about 120 feet high, and now flying crosswind *fast*. The Crossfire is zipppy, and it sure showed here. At this altitude, there is no viable landing area ahead- its all tall grass, and then a few trees. Lacking a better idea, I front riser turn to the right to keep some speed while bleeding onto an upwind line heading towards the landing area once again.

I only change heading by about 60 degrees...

...before I realize that my interest in continuing this front riser business has just expired. I let up, and give a little toggle input on the right side- using a shallow toggle turn/ carve to generate a little extra lift, I shorten the recovery arc while maintaining that turn that's bringing me onto an upwind line.

It's flare time, and I manage to get a fair surf out of that approach. I have to give a little jump at the end of the ride to dissipate the remaining energy I touch down with, but other than that, the ride was a success. Notes were taken about setting up, the riser turn, and the later developments of the landing- the crossfire doesn't like that second front riser turn very much- work needs to be done getting the first 180 flown right, and at the right altitude.

As I'm stowing my brakes, just standing out there in the field, I realize that my knee feels like it's on fire. Like it really kills. I look down. It appears that a thin layer of skin is missing over an area of about two inches square. It's not bleeding badly, but man does it sting.

And thus the moral of the story: to all the tall jumpers out there: Do not wear shorts and try to backloop out of a 206- you may skin your knee on the bottom edge of the door on your way out. And it will sting like a banshee.

Thus endeth the story of my first skydiving injury.

Beer?:D

are you really doing high performance turns on a crossfire with sixty five jumps and three years in the sport?

If this is true........B|

my humble opinion is that you should use your head for something other than a hat rack......
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

are you really doing high performance turns on a crossfire with sixty five jumps and three years in the sport?

This was my first thought when I read this post.
Before I make any other comments I will just wait to see if these are the facts...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If this is true........B|

my humble opinion is that you should use your head for something other than a hat rack......

I'm glad I'm not the only person thinking this. I will refrain from saying anything else as I'm sure he doesn't want to hear it. :|

steveOrino

Issues?

uhh...do your "experimentation" high (if you're using toggles to "shorten the recovery arc", that's bad) and make sure not to take anyone else out because you attempted something well out of your skill set. that's all i'll recommend. good luck.

oh yeah, get coaching from somebody who's qualified if it's available in your neck o' the woods.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

either he's a troll, or hes so sure of his skills that sonny Jesus could walk up to him and say "my son you need to rethink your canopy and you habits under it" He would reply but J.C. you've never jumped with me, you dont know my skills.

Either way there's no point in responding to this post any further. To quote Bob Crossman, "Is the memorial dive planed yet"?

I sure hope you are a troll, if not you should sell the Crossfire and get a suitable canopy for your jump level (like Sabre 2, Safire 2). You have no buisness flying a Crossfire at your level of jumps (regardless of how you feel you are doing). You have even less buisness trying high preformance landing. Oh and if you find yourself asking why to anything I have said you really need to stop skydiving until you talk to your S&TA and do a whole lot more research.
Kirk

To quote Bob Crossman, "Is the memorial dive planed yet"?

An Accident Report waiting for the date to be filled in.

Folks like this thrive on being told that they're overextending themselves. They feel that they are the "Golden Child" who transcends all the opinions of a bunch of old farts.

He writes a long post about his skinned knee just so he can work in a lot of technical babble alluding to the fact that he is a zillion-jump canopy ace.

I've given up worrying about these guys. Every cocky asshole who plows up a DZ with his face and leaves pieces of his legbones laying all over the place simply validates the more reasonable approach that most people take toward flying parachutes. Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limitations." In this sport, if you don't know those limitations, eventually you'll be toast.

So fly on, Real Skydiver of Genius, Mr. 65-jump crossbrace swooper. I'll be standing by to do my part to further your career - I can dial 911 on a cell phone with one finger.

Issues ?? No problems here. ;)

Kevin Keenan

Either way there's no point in responding to this post any further. To quote Bob Crossman, "Is the memorial dive planed yet"?

This says it all...

But just in case no one has told'em:
The Crossfire is not a parachute that is intended for someone with low jump numbers to fly. It is recommended by Icarus to have a MINIMUM of 500 skydives before you begin to pilot the Crossfire.

Now you can not say nobody warned you…

I was under the impression that the CSPA and DZ's in the Ontario area were pretty stringent concerning HP canopies and pilots being qualified to fly certain wings, guess I have been misinformed.

At any rate, good luck with that 65 jump/Crossfire combination.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

He writes a long post about his skinned knee just so he can work in a lot of technical babble alluding to the fact that he is a zillion-jump canopy ace.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I thought that too...

~got the canopy ace lingo down, now if he can get out the door with hurting himself.....!:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Folks like this thrive on being told that they're overextending themselves. They feel that they are the "Golden Child" who transcends all the opinions of a bunch of old farts.
Every cocky asshole who plows up a DZ with his face and leaves pieces of his legbones laying all over the place simply validates the more reasonable approach that most people take toward flying parachutes.
Kevin Keenan

This just might be the most ingenious piece of literary composition that I have ever read on DZ.com...
If this thread was started by a troll this post made it worth it!

Well put Kevin!

if he didn't have a lot of normal posts, I would have screamed troll at this. Instead I will scream "femur-waiting-to-happen"

Lacking a better idea, I front riser turn to the right to keep some speed while bleeding onto an upwind line heading towards the landing area once again.

:S:S because keeping speed up for a good surf is very important when having problems landing. :S

MB 3528, RB 1182

To the original poster (sorry, I don’t know your name, it’s not in your profile):

There is an abundance of disagreement in this thread with your choice to fly this parachute at your experience level and a lot of concern might come across as belittling or criticism that might seem like you are being attacked. That is/was not my intention anyway. Even though you have experience as an aircraft pilot as your profile indicates it is not the same as piloting a canopy, at least this is what I understand by the experienced aircraft pilots that I have trained in skydiving. Having experience as an aircraft pilot may put you ahead of the curve to the average canopy pilot with 65 jumps but still raises concern for your safety by many skydivers as this thread of communication has revealed.

Please consider flying a more forgiving canopy and fly a little more conservative until you gain more experience under parachutes.

We are simply concerned for your safety, that is all…
Mykel AFF-I10

That must have been a while ago, according to his posts. Three years ago "learningTOfemur" had 54 jumps.

Good to see that low numbers, low currency and crossfires go together so well...

...like blood and dirt.

No one at his DZ would see aproblem? hmmmmm
Something is very trollish here.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I was under the impression that the CSPA and DZ's in the Ontario area were pretty stringent concerning HP canopies and pilots being qualified to fly certain wings, guess I have been misinformed. At the dropzones I go to, there's been sufficient strictness. I can't see how the dropzones I go to here in Canada, would allow a 65-jump visitor to fly a crossfire.

If this is not a troll, I think it would be the exception to the rule. You Americans have a (at least) couple of "questionables" too as well. ;)

You know I think everyone in this thread is being incredibly negative, I just wanted to let you know LeaningTOfly, that I got your back. From the sound of it JC and Clint may have some serious competition by the time you hit 100 jumps. So I say everyone in this forum back off, we're in the pressence of greatness and at only 65 jumps, you're all just jealous. Stop taking out your frustration for all being crappy swoopers on this guy. And to the original poster, keep it up bro, you kick ass, just one quick question, who does your canopy go to in your will? Cause I may be ready for a crossfire in 500 more jumps or so when I'm as good as you.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

just one quick question, who does your canopy go to in your will?

Damn - beaten to it! I was just going to say, I've got no issues with i, and can I have the Crossfire when you are done?

Presumably it is about a 109 or smaller - it would be a bit weak to jump anything larger at 65 jumps. Real men are sub-100 sqft by 50 jumps! :P:)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

What is a troll?

They're nasty little things that hide under bridges and eat little kids:P

In the world of dz.com though they are people who post things with the intent of stirring up arguments.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower