Amy-P

I will listen to my instructers but does any one know relaxing techniques

my instruters gonna hate me for asking so many questions!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Wolf howled from under the leaves while spiting fine feathers from his feast of fowl like him I devour myself*Jim Morrison*

ok, everyone has said "don't listen to people on here" etc.

If there is one thing that you take away from your couple posts here on dz.com its this. There is not, nor will there ever be, a stupid question when it comes to skydiving. If its in your head ask it. If your in a class of 10 people or only you. Allways be willing to ask whatever question you might have. Someone else might have the exact same question too!

Anyways, your instructor will love to hear your questions. That's why people become instructors. They like to teach.

Have fun, enjoy your jump, and blue skies!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

[There is not, nor will there ever be, a stupid question when it comes to skydiving. If its in your head ask it.

on my first jump course the first thing the instructor said was "there is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to skydiving."...B|
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

Here is something that helped me... now, posters... this is what works for me, not the end all be all.....

You can do anything you want to do before the jump to prepare. Try to study and learn as much as you can from your instructors before the jump. Then, go over what you are supposed to in your head... over and over if you have to. It is okay to be nervous at this point (I always am:)

However, when the red light goes on, it is time to relax. It is jump run and whatever is going to happen, is going to happen, so it is okay to relax. There is nothing else you can do to prepare, so just think 'it is time for fun', and get out of the plane... there's nothin left to do but smile, smile, smile.
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

I saw this very tense individual doing her Cat. B. My conclusion on why I believed her to be tense (She had grabbed the hymn of my jumpsuit, twisted it and had a total death grip on it!) When I heard door I thought Holy shit a 4-way AFF!! Well she let go as she was reaching for the bar as my butt was skiddind down the bench. When she pealed off the plane I heard her yell "I'M SO PRETTY", Well it worked for her and she got a nickname, you guessed it "Gripper" ;)

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

This is what worked for me.

My instructors told me from the first jump course to RELAX!

Of course I didn't. All this new stuff, falling through the air over a 120 mph, etc. I was in sensory overload, not a place I can easily relax in.

Here is my advice. Make about 50 jumps. If you haven't relaxed yet, make 50 more. At some point, you will reach the place where you've seen it, done it and are familiar enough will it that you can RELAX.

Then something really funny happens, it gets very easy. All that stuff you struggled with, all that stuff your instructors make look so darn easy, suddenly it gets easy for you too.

At that point, hurry out and do 50 more skydives, and start on learning freeflying or relative work or landing your canopy, or packing your canopy. Mercy, there is so much to learn. It really does take a while to figure this stuff out. But at some point you will have a firm enough grasp on it that you can relax.

I am not an instructor so be careful taking advice from a guy like me. Good Luck and have fun.

MH

Most "instruters" ;) Like to be asked questions.

Thats why they became instructors.

How to relax? Breathe deep, picture a perfect jump.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Don't just relax your mind, it's your body they want to relax. Physically let your muscles relax, slacken, let the wind push your legs and arms back on its own terms. Quit trying to be in the perfect body position. Quit trying to do anything. Just get on you belly and go almost limp. The wind can do the rest, if you let it.

Let me know how this works for you. It worked for me years ago. :)

I have my better, more relaxed jumps when i get a good song stuck in my head that i can sing to myself on the ride up as i think about what i'm going to do,
Red Hot chili peppers "Tear" has become my favorite for this.

Go through the jump in your mind if your ever nervous. I did this, often several times during the flight up of my first few jumps. I think it really helps 2 fold, 1. it takes your mind off of the fear, and 2, when your out there, you've really drilled it into your head so its almost 2nd nature. My intructor always told me to take a BIG long breath before beggining the exit count, this really helped me focus.

This worked for me...

In freefall, I was pretty tense, and not getting a good body position. Take a BIG deep breath, and as you breathe out, smile and push your hips into it. I instantly felt the difference and got a great smooth body position.

Remember to breathe, remember to SMILE!

:)
Dave

Don't get angry with yourself for being tense, it's a part of the process that most of us go through for the first 100 or so jumps. Find a good breathing technique to practise on the ride to altitude (maybe read some yoga or pilates stuff) and get used to using that to calm yourself down.

You may want to read articles on "arousal levels" too, (although I don't know if this will be too much information for you at this stage, if so, then save it for later in your skydiving career when you will understand it better).

Deep breathing is my secret to calming myself down and I use in away from skydiving too. Whenever I feel my body tensing up, I notice it and then take a deep breath and let it out, according to yoga and pilates, filling up your lungs to capacity and concentrating on expanding your diaphragm and then letting as much as you can out (releasing the residue air from your lungs) makes way for more oxygenated air, thereby relaxing your body and mind and making you more aware of your surroundings and able to react in a logical way, rather than an emotional way.

Also, if you can get a copy of Brian Germain's "Transcending Fear" it's a very useful book about how to deal with this stuff.

You WILL become more relaxed after you've done 100 or so jumps anyway, but then the challenge is to not become complacent. Being tense is your survival instinct, try to find a way to work with it.

I hope this helps!

xxx

Sarah
www.sneale-create.com

Thank you Im going to check that book out and mabey some meditation or yoga books.Relaxing is my problem even now two days after i chickend out i feel on end.Once I do it Im sure all calm down a bit.I tried deep breathing but there was so many distractions.Once I decide to do S/L after my first tandom i want just me the piolt and the instructor in the plane I think Id feel better.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Wolf howled from under the leaves while spiting fine feathers from his feast of fowl like him I devour myself*Jim Morrison*

Try not to overthink, and breath. Focus on your breath during that last 1000 to altitude. You already practiced everything on the ground. So all you have to do just prior to exit is slow your heart rate and breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Several methods work for me.

Here are some:

Breathe in - breathe out.

Just concentrate on this. Nothing else.

Follow the air mentally through your mouth/nose all the way down to your lungs. Feel how they fill with air.

Follow the air all the way out.

Repeat.

---------

Close your eyes - see yourself in a relaxing peacefull place - SMILE

---------

Use odors which are linked to relaxed moments.
Example: When I attended a windtunnelcamp I had a certain type of aftershave which "got stuck" in my helmet.
Whenever today I need to fell confident in a jump, I use it in my helmet as it brings imediately back this feeling of being succesfull doing turns and stops like I did in that camp.

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

I breathe a lot in a very rythmic way to cope with whatever mood I am in or to focus the mind on the ride up sometimes, kind of like circular breathing that you use to play the digereedoo or mediatation, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Slows the heart rate down and empties the mind.

I do it with my 3 year old daughter when she gets in a massive huff and screams the place down, I get her to breathe deeply, within 2 breaths her red face goes back to normal and you can see she has forgotton what it is she was flipping out about, so it must work if it cures those temper tantrums!!!!

I am also an oxygen thief and I yawn a lot on the plane (that helps with the ears and is also relaxing), some people naturally feel quiet sleepy on the ride up so if this is you just go with, relax, chill out, you will soon wake up when they open the door and it gets a bit drafty in there!:D

I am nowhere near as nervous as I was at the beginning as you do get more used to the feelings of nerves and managing them and to a certain degree my nerves are more focused on not screwing up the skydive rather than "oh shit I hope this thing opens" now.

Nerves are there to enhance the experience, respect what we are doing and to give you a nice surge of adrenaline (buzz). Embrace it and go with it rather than fight it, it is your friend, and personally the jumps I have the most nerves on actually seem to end up being the most rocking. Talking to other skydivers about nerves is pretty humbling as some skygod(ess) with like thousands of jumps turns round and says "jeez I still crap it even now", makes you aware this all part and parcel of why you do this and nobody is immune to it.

Biggest bit of advice I had about nerves especially associated with performance (and you do have to perform for your instructors) is to NOT be too hard on yourself. If it goes tits up, it goes tits up, so what, pull, land and repeat. Everyone started at jump number 1, everyone else knows what pressures us newbies face and nobody expects you to be superman or woman, just to be safe.

I suck at flying big time...still hate it now, but I faced it head on by throwing myself out of an aeroplane....making a decision, sticking to it and then doing it all in a split second is all it takes and the rest then kicks in. Once out the door you are commited, so focus on what it is you will be doing once out the door rather than the bit building up to it.

Actually a recent tunnel trip I was on I was more scared of going in the tunnel and doing an impression of an angry moth hurting myself than actually exiting the plane as to me that is now my familiar enviroment...it is what I have become accustomed to.

It is scary shit, no one denies it flinging oneself repetively at the planet earth for fun, but with time you won't loose the fear but manage it in a different way.

Have fun & good luck!:)

I like to have funny conversations on the way to altitdue (e.g. figuring out all the different slang terms for certain anatomy, etc.). I also make sure I do something completely goofy and stupid just before exit (like throwing my hands up in the air and doing the retarded "TIMMY!!" cheer (from the crippled kid in South Park)). It makes everyone crack up (because I'm such a friggin' dork!), and reminds you that it's supposed to be fun and you're there to have a good time. ;)