Hawkins121

Whats with this year?

Some of the folks who have been in the sport longer than I have can confirm this, but I believe the fatality rate has held at about 25-35 a year for a while.

What I think you're noticing (and I sure noticed it, too) is that the fatalities are coming in waves this year; the early part of the year was awful; Memorial Day weekend was awful; this past weekend was awful. We may or may not be on pace for a "record year," but so far I don't think it's really out of line with the averages.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

...and I really don't think it's that much different than other years. We ALWAYS think too many people are dying this year....pretty much every year.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Also we're a victim of our internet medium and the huge success of DZ.com. It allows us all to know more jumpers and it also allows us to recieve the information much faster and from more locations. Previously you wouldn't have necissarily known about international fatalities unless it was something very different. Such as something very specific about a gear malfunction.

This year so far it seems like there have been more then usual, but it would seem that the fatalities seem to even out by the years end. Typically the sport sees 25-30 fatalities a year.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yep, I'd have to agree. I was skydiving when fatalities numbered in the 40's and 50's, but you never heard about it until it hit Parachutist. And then there were no names, and you didn't know who anyone was.

Long distance was more expensive then too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This is my first year in the sport but it seems like alot of people are dying in a relatively short period of time.

Should I expect this through out my skydiving career or are the fatality rates higher than normal??

Just make sure one of them isnt you.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

This year so far it seems like there have been more then usual, but it would seem that the fatalities seem to even out by the years end. Typically the sport sees 25-30 fatalities a year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that worldwide or just the US only figure ?

In the U.S.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

This is my first year in the sport but it seems like alot of people are dying in a relatively short period of time.

Should I expect this through out my skydiving career or are the fatality rates higher than normal??

You should expect to lose someone you look up to, someone you love, someone you see every weekend, someone you never expect to lose. That may all be the same person.. but it will probably be more than one.