jtval

$200 to 6000agl

Well they must not give their tandem students altimeters then. I mean if they advertise 13,000 AGL
and you look at your altimeter and it says 6K and you're out the door......That is just wrongggg!

Well, I cannot speak for all DZs, but the ones I've frequented since starting... "back in the day", you used to see Tandem students given an altimeter, usually a chest mount on the chest strap, but the past several years, I cannot recall seeing this done anymore, definitly not at my home DZ and I can't recall seeing a Tandem student with an altimeter at any of the other DZs I've been to around the area in the past few years either. I'm not a TMI or DZO, and don't care to be, but I guess that the logic is if they don't give the Tandem students an altimeter, then that's less student altimeters they need to worry about getting broken.

every level 2 tandem gets an alti at our dz. (duh, they have to pull)

I think the decision to not give the first timers one is b/c they don't remember to look at it most of the time.

when I'm in the plane I usually make a point to show the student how high we are. ( we usually get 10,500) and I am usually filming them so I've been chatting with them the whole time.

I'm pretty sure why the other DZ's don't give them an alti.[:/]
My photos

My Videos

every level 2 tandem gets an alti at our dz. (duh, they have to pull)

Ya know, after I posted that, I realized I should have qualified my statement as applying to Tandem passengers that are showing up to do one jump without showing an interest in the Tandem Progression... lest someone go all "DZ.com" on me and take the chance to point out that Tandem students on the Tandem progression are obviously going to have an altimeter since they're not just there for a "ride" like most folks showing up on a DZ to do a Tandem are... and... THUS... no altimeter is given to those types... Geeze!

:P

Hell... I still wear an altimeter, but hardly ever look at the bloody thing in freefall!

I really respect the TMs that give their student an alti on their first jump and teach them how to pull and when to pull.

I know one TM at our DZ that basically treats every tandem jump as a learning jump - like an AFF level 1.

I watch the students who interact with both the TMs that take them for a ride and do all the work, and the ones who are given responsibility - and I think the ones who are given responsibility on the jump have more respect for our sport when they land.

Don't know if it is still the case (don't see why not), but when I did my first tandem at Davis 4 years ago, you got the option to try to pull for the TM by I think 5.5K (you get an alti of course). You do practice touches in freefall and stuff. I felt cool that I was able to pull for us.

I really respect the TMs that give their student an alti on their first jump and teach them how to pull and when to pull.

I know one TM at our DZ that basically treats every tandem jump as a learning jump - like an AFF level 1.

I watch the students who interact with both the TMs that take them for a ride and do all the work, and the ones who are given responsibility - and I think the ones who are given responsibility on the jump have more respect for our sport when they land.

I agree... to which I'll add another thought I just had... seems to me in the past few years as opposed to say 10 years ago... I've seen more "PO'ed" folks around the DZ who've shown up for a Tandem and were displeased at the "wait", the "waiver" and "when will I get my video", I mean, this isn't really just a "ride" and I think that unhappy customers who thought they'ed be able to show up, get their "ride", get their video (or DVD) and be on their way like a quick dash through the dirve-thru at McDonalds wouldn't be if, as a whole, Tandems weren't marketed as a "ride".... that there is a level of responsibility on the part of the passanger and they're expected to participate as Tdog puts it.

They are not advertising 13,000 agl. JT said they are advertising 2miles with no distiction as to ft or agl/msl.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

They are not advertising 13,000 agl. JT said they are advertising 2miles with no distiction as to ft or agl/msl.

Well... I guess if you advertise 2 miles and go to 6K AGL... you could still claim that's 2 miles... as in its a little over 1 mile up and then 1 mile down... so round trip that's 2 miles... :P

Yeah, sounds like something some shifty-shady DZOs would pull. :S

I realized I should have qualified my statement as applying to Tandem passengers that are showing up to do one jump without showing an interest in the Tandem Progression... lest someone go all "DZ.com" on me and take the chance to point out that Tandem students on the Tandem progression are obviously going to have an altimeter since they're not just there for a "ride" like most folks showing up on a DZ to do a Tandem are... and... THUS... no altimeter is given to those types... Geeze!

I didnt post that as an attack to you:P.
I posted that "(duh, they have to pull)" because it was obvvious that those student will need an alti.
I wanted to show that the first timers normally don't get one clearly, so that there wouldntbe confusion:S
My photos

My Videos

I realized I should have qualified my statement as applying to Tandem passengers that are showing up to do one jump without showing an interest in the Tandem Progression... lest someone go all "DZ.com" on me and take the chance to point out that Tandem students on the Tandem progression are obviously going to have an altimeter since they're not just there for a "ride" like most folks showing up on a DZ to do a Tandem are... and... THUS... no altimeter is given to those types... Geeze!

I didnt post that as an attack to you:P.
I posted that "(duh, they have to pull)" because it was obvvious that those student will need an alti.
I wanted to show that the first timers normally don't get one clearly, so that there wouldntbe confusion:S

ummm... why do you need an altimeter to pull... is it attatched to your pilot chute??
:P

Ok I found what ya was talking about. No way they getting close to 2 miles where they are.

Welcome to S** ***y Skydiving!
We specialize in first time tandem jumpers.
See Las Vegas at 120 mph and freefall jump from 2 miles high!
Las Vegas Skydiving is better than any tour you will ever go on.
For the thrill of a lifetime skydive in Las Vegas!
S** ***y Skydiving specializes in first time tandem skydiving and student training.
All of our instructors are FAA and USPA Certified. We have a perfect safety record!
S** ***y Skydiving has the lowest skydiving prices in the Las Vegas area.
Experienced jumpers welcome

Um Other then passing a Physical for a TI rating (which you have to do right?) what FAA certifications does Instructors have to get?

Also this would be a flat out Lie if you consider Mesquite to be in the Las Vegas Area which you would have to do if you consider Jean to be in the area

lowest skydiving prices in the Las Vegas area.

I sent them the following from their contact page ;)

Your page says 2 miles up. Does that mean your flying a Turbine? Last time I was in Jean only planes flying where Cessna's. Most Cessna DZ hardly ever go past 9500 and with the heat out there I wouldn't think you would spend the extra time and fuel to get to "2Miles" up. I know I would hate to ride in a cessna that long. Now if you have a Turbine I might have to make a trip out as I enjoyed my last jumps out there. By the way how much for me to jump?

Think I will get a response?

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

pretty sure you won't get a response, well one that you want anyway.

THAT DZ goes to 8k AGL

the other DZ is the one that goes to 6k AGL

"experienced jumpers are welcome" thats true but they didnt finsih the sentence.

"experienced jumpers are wlecome"... to hang out and watch us jump[:/]
My photos

My Videos