Bluewillie

Recurrency?

I have a question about getting back into jumping. I made 8 AFF jumps late 2005. I was cleared to jump solo and did so. I attended Safety Day and intended to jump again in 2006.
Every jump I made last year was with the same instructor, he was a really great guy and became a friend. He had a tragic accident and died. It was a real personal loss.
The bottom line for me is that it has been 9 months since I jumped and the urge to continue is coming back.
Does anyone have any thoughts about what hoops I might have to jump thru to get back into the sport?
Thanks~

I have a question about getting back into jumping. I made 8 AFF jumps late 2005. I was cleared to jump solo and did so. I attended Safety Day and intended to jump again in 2006.
Every jump I made last year was with the same instructor, he was a really great guy and became a friend. He had a tragic accident and died. It was a real personal loss.
The bottom line for me is that it has been 9 months since I jumped and the urge to continue is coming back.
Does anyone have any thoughts about what hoops I might have to jump thru to get back into the sport?
Thanks~

Good luck bro. I haven't jumped in a couple yrs and w/ 250 the want to jam the money thing up my ass. Prolly make ya do AFF again. Actually it all depends on the DZ you go to.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Even though you completed AFF and were cleared for self-supervision, you are considered a "student" until you get your A license. The USPA SIM (Section 5) says:

AFF students cleared to self-supervise in freefall but who have not jumped in the preceding 30 days should make at least one jump and demonstrate the ability to start and stop turns, maintain altitude awareness, and the ability to maintain stability during deployment, with a currently rated AFF Instructor.

You should get a thorough refresher of all tasks before you go up. The exact details of the refresher and the skydive will be up to the DZ Staff (DZO, Chief Instructor, S&TA, etc.).

You can download the USPA SIM in PDF format HERE.

I think you will find that getting back in the air safely is a smooth process. Let us know how it goes! B|
Arrive Safely

John