FlyingJarhead

Torrey Pines Glider Port Dropzone...maybe someday

> The Torrey Pines Glider Port would be a great dropzone.

Well, except for the rotors off the edge. And the 400 foot dropoff to the surf. And the ocean. And the spot, which would always be over the ocean.

On the plus side, there's a nude beach there. On the minus side, there's a nude beach there, and the people on it ain't from the Swedish women's volleyball team, if you know what I mean.

Here's the Google Earth .kmz on it.

Pretty easy to see why it wouldn't work.

In addition to all the things that billvon said . . . the entire coastline is like a freeway for small aircraft.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What class airspace is it?

F/A-18 :ph34r:

What does that mean for us non-aviationophiles?

What it means is that there is a US Navy air base a very short distance away and F/A-18 Hornets would be flying through the area.

Then again, I personally don't think the F/A-18s are the biggests issue, more like the C-152, C-172 crowd since there is also a general aviation airport nearby.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

> The Torrey Pines Glider Port would be a great dropzone.

Well, except for the rotors off the edge. And the 400 foot dropoff to the surf. And the ocean. And the spot, which would always be over the ocean.

On the plus side, there's a nude beach there. On the minus side, there's a nude beach there, and the people on it ain't from the Swedish women's volleyball team, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, besides the hideousness of the nude bathers, I certainly would not want to land a skydiving canopy there.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

it would work.

just go there in person.

they have room to make a runway
they already do glider planes.
the wind is always from the west.

as far as class airspace, is there a way to get permits for it?
as far as small aircraft and there little freeway, they already have to divert because of the gliders.
its only a step above it

then we can jump OVER the ocean

it would work.

just go there in person.

they have room to make a runway
they already do glider planes.
the wind is always from the west.

as far as class airspace, is there a way to get permits for it?
as far as small aircraft and there little freeway, they already have to divert because of the gliders.
its only a step above it

then we can jump OVER the ocean

Been there many times in a previous life when I worked for various biotech companies in the area.
There is no where near enough room to land an aircraft capable of carrying jumpers. Not to mention it is right in the middle of a commercial area and UCSD student housing. You will also have a few hunderd feet of cliffs to fall down if you miss the landing area short when coming back from the west, which is where jumpers would normally be out. There is absolutely no way it is ever going to happen. Torrey Pines is a beautiful place to be sure and a great place to paraglide. It is NOT a good place for skydiving operations.

>just go there in person.

I do, all the time. It's a nice place. (Hey Andrea - this is where I took you to go whale-watching.)

>they have room to make a runway

Where?? I mean, you could take out the parking lot, but then there's no place to park. You could take out the golf course, but the Torrey Pines course is one of the top-rated courses in the world. It would be like shutting down Eloy to build a bungee jump place.

>they already do glider planes.

A catapult launch for an aircraft with a 30mph stall speed is a bit different than a takeoff/landing area for a skydiving aircraft.

>as far as small aircraft and there little freeway, they already have to
>divert because of the gliders.

They actually don't. They hug the cliff below about 1000 feet AGL (that's where the lift is) and the planes/helicopters fly by them further out to sea at 1000-1500 feet. That's a popular corridor for sightseeing and banner tow.

Would you be OK jumping over a banner-tow aircraft at 1500 feet?

It would be a great place to jump, and I'd definitely do a demo there. But it would be a terrible place for a DZ.

What class airspace is it?

Class G uncontrolled:
From the surface to 1,200' MSL

Class B positive control from San Diego International:
1,800' to 3,200' and 6,800' to 9,999' MSL

Class E controlled:
1,201' to 1,799' and 3,201' to 6,799' and 10,000' to 17,999' MSL

Class A positive control:
18,000' to 60,000' MSL