2shay

packing super fast

:D
ive got packing time down to 6 to 7 mostly 7min. seen certain ways to flake the canopy so that all lines fall into place, but best i can do is have a b c lines in place without touching them, then i flake the d lines, lines in the center material outside. saw a thread that explained the flaking technique but couldn't really follow. I have spoke w/ several riggers about packing faster, as in eliminating needless steps. i have 450 jumps with no mals so im doin good so far and can pack faster than everyone at the dz except for two guys given they have thousands of jumps but i feel that i can push it more and want to make sure im not missing anything and would like to find the speed tricks. I jump a viper 150 fully elliptical, but is a very soft and consistent opener in case that matters

thanks all, Joel
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

>but i feel that i can push it more and want to make sure im not
>missing anything and would like to find the speed tricks.

Let us know how that goes!

You can wad up a canopy and stuff it in the bag and it will open 99% of the time. It will get worn out a lot faster, tend to open harder and you will tend to have more spinners on opening. But if all you're doing are solos and you can afford it, then go for it!

ive got packing time down to 6 to 7 mostly 7min. seen certain ways to flake the canopy so that all lines fall into place, but best i can do is have a b c lines in place without touching them, then i flake the d lines, lines in the center material outside. saw a thread that explained the flaking technique but couldn't really follow. I have spoke w/ several riggers about packing faster, as in eliminating needless steps. i have 450 jumps with no mals so im doin good so far and can pack faster than everyone at the dz except for two guys given they have thousands of jumps but i feel that i can push it more and want to make sure im not missing anything and would like to find the speed tricks. I jump a viper 150 fully elliptical, but is a very soft and consistent opener in case that matters

thanks all, Joel

I remember, once, a guy who himself a skygod. he made 4 mins packing but he got serious malfunction. [:/] I don't remember his name, actually, never met him.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Personally i think that packing fast comes with practice, not skipping steps. I think that it's through refining your technique and doing it over and over that will help you get your time down even further. Take my packer at my DZ, his fastest time is like four mins or something. Then again, he has thousands and thousands of pack jobs.

7 mins ain't bad though bro! I think i can do mine in just under 10 if i really hurry.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

ive got packing time down to 6 to 7 mostly 7min.

And the point of all this speed packing is what?

i have 450 jumps with no mals so im doin good so far

With a reserve loaded at almost 1.6:1 you had better hope you continue with no malfunctions. PD says max for an expert is under 1.4:1.

Good luck[:/]
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And the point of all this speed packing is what?

Well, for me, I'd like to be able to pack as fast as my packer. On a busy day doing tandems i'm spending roughly $4 of the $25 that i make on each jump. If i did 10 in a day packing for myself, that's a $40 saving for me. :)

I got to replace the center cell in a canopy that had been used to win a packing speed contest. It was expensive, and the canopy never really flew the same again (it was a long time ago -- people didn't send canopies back to the mfr as much then).

The "pack lots so you can do it quickly" technique is probably better than the "figure out what you can leave out next" technique.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The "pack lots so you can do it quickly" technique is probably better than the "figure out what you can leave out next" technique.

I couldn't agree more, see my first post in this thread :)

Turbines often land at about the same time as the jumpers so there's no way you're going to pack fast enough to make back-to-back loads - the best you'll do is every other load.

With each load taking about 15 minutes a seven minute pack job leaves plenty of time to walk back to the hanger, pee, pack, replace broken rubber bands, gear up for the next load, and dirt dive.

It's fast enough.

I wouldn't plan on trying to always pack your canopy super fast. Remember to slow down sometimes and actually inspect your gear as you're packing it.

I can pack really fast.. but I would much rather take an appropriate amount of time where I give my eyes some time to search for possible problems with the gear that I am packing.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

i want to eliminate every needless step possible

I still pack the same way I learned. I don't skip any steps, and I can pack in under 4 minutes, and still have dependable openings. All it takes is practice, lots and lots of practice.

As with packing really fast, what's the need? and what do you get out of it? better openings [:/] NO possibly more mals :( harder off heading spinning things, I have found that if you pack good and neat the same way every time, you do get faster within time and the method becomes easier, I believe that with good even line tension, good line stacking and clean bagging of the canopy generally gives a good clean opening with an on heading deployment. By the way you didn't say how you were packing?, either on the floor, over your shoulder, or on a hook, Personally I like to use a hook and standup pack every thing. B|My avareage pack job is around 8 to 10 mins for a tandem and 5 to 7 min's for a solo. :)

I can get a canopy to the container in about 2.5 minutes (timed many times). 4 minutes from back to back again. This is with the F-111 type Demonstrator canopy I use on the Demo Team.
The small Cross Braced canopy takes me about 7 minutes to put back on. Shipree stuff the ZP:S.

I am able to do it through lots and lots of practice. I do the same technique in a hurry or taking my time, in a hurry I don't talk, talking slows me down, well that and looking at the DZ hotties.;)
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

]

Turbines often land at about the same time as the jumpers so there's no way you're going to pack fast enough to make back-to-back loads - the best you'll do is every other load.

With each load taking about 15 minutes a seven minute pack job leaves plenty of time to walk back to the hanger, pee, pack, replace broken rubber bands, gear up for the next load, and dirt dive.

It's fast enough.

best point here... dont forget to inspect ur gear every time u pack it..

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"