adventurechick

Night Jumps

I know the SIM states that you must have a B license and at least 100 jumps to do a night jump. I really would like to do a night jump, but I think I should work on my flaring and accuracy.

When did you go on your first night jump and how did you know you were ready?

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

I had probably 800 - 900 jumps before I did my initial night jump. I know folks that did do their first night jump with significantly less total jump numbers... different era... ;). For me the long wait had to do with being aprehensive about the whole situation and that most DZs don't "just schedule" night loads, rahter they do them when they have enough people with C-Licenses wanting to get their D-License asking to do night jumps, then they get around to scheduling it. I finally got to a point were my desire to get my D-Liscence out-weighed my aprehension. ;) Then it was a matter of getting on the first available night loads at a DZ I was comfortable jumping at night that I could score.

I don't think I really felt I was "ready" to do night jumps until I had, oh, 4 or 5 night jumps under my belt... :D... at that point it was, "Okay, I can do this, I'm not just "lucky."" Then it got to be "fun" for awhile. We used to do night clear and pulls for as long as we could keep the aircraft going or 1a.m. which ever came first... we did this a couple of times at Cal City. All told, I think I have like about 20 night jumps now... haven't done one in probably 3 to 4 years. Sometimes I get the "jones" to want to go do one, but then I sit down and have a beer and the feeling wears off... :D

I still feel that night jumps should remain in the BSRs for getting your D-Liscence, but with the proliferation of higher & high performance canopies, things aren't as forgiving trying to land at night... i.e. significantly reduced or lack of depth perception... then say if you were landing a big F111 canopy. So, making sure you have your accuracy and flare down is probably even more important then before.

yeah I did my first night jump with abotu 320 jump on a sabre 2 170

not so sure I would love to do one under my current canopy

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Ya know... that's got me thinkin'... I know I did my second night jump on a Sabre 150 onto an unlit DZ on a no-moon night... oh, I forgot to add, "No shit there I was" before that... but really, no shit.

I can't remember what canopy I had on my initial night jump... my PD190 or if it was the Sabre 150??

I know most of my night jumps are on my Sabre 170.

I haven't jumped my Sabre-2 170 at night... :S

I know the SIM states that you must have a B license and at least 100 jumps to do a night jump.

The SIM states that you should meet all of the requirements for a B or higher license, which means 50 jumps plus live water training.

In 1997 when I had less than 130 jumps (first log-book).

2nd jump - 800'
The Army told me I was ready. :D

but I think I should work on my flaring and accuracy.

Especially important should you find yourself with an off-dz landing. Have you read the following article?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=570
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Zhills does night jumps often throughout the year, so you might want to sit in on the briefing session and after they land ask questions.

I did two night jumps around jump 100 or so. I know people who love night jumps. With all the glow sticks on the jumpers on the plane, made me see spots affecting my night vision.

I did my first around the point you're at. Landed out worrying too much about avoiding the others, then it was too far back. Turned 90 to do a crosswind while using the lights that were set up.

I had been looking forward to it for a while, though honest a night jump at the edge of Davis isn't exactly dark. I could do the canopy check on night light pollution alone.

I did my first one around 3 weeks after getting my "B". There is some depth perception concerns with some people. Knowledge of maintaining night vision will help. To keep my night vision intact, I wear sumglasses from immediately after the briefing until I get to the door to exit the plane. Never had a problem, usually looks like a late sunset.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I did my first night jump with about 80 jumps on New Years Day in Virginia (brrrrrr!), at a DZ that I had never jumped at before that day.

It was a "spur of the moment" decision. Basically, a friend said, "I'll do it, if you'll do it." It was one of the most thrilling jumps I have ever done. I loved it!

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I know the SIM states that you must have a B license and at least 100 jumps to do a night jump.

Actually the SIM states that you "should" meet all the requirements of a B license or higher. It does not say you have to have one.

My first night jump was #70. I never got a B license but I was B qualified at the time. (back then you only needed 50 freefall jumps for a B license)

Most of us did not get our first license until we were C qualified.

How you know when you are ready is up to you. It seems nowadays people wait until they have more experience than we used to. I only had 15 jumps on a ram air canopy when I made my first night jump so it was no big deal. I couldn't land very well during the day either;)

Jump #s 56 and 57.

Always wanted to jump at night, so I was actively looking for the opportunity!

Couldn't see the moon, there was so much cloud. :o:D

Jumped a PD170 @1.15. Landed both times on my feet. :)

Do your first on a low-loaded canopy, but one you are familiar with (not something you just grabbed off the shelf)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Aren't there like gator ponds around Z-hills??

What do they say during the night-jump briefing about that??? :S

Well they told me "if you land in the swamps don't worry about the snakes...the gators ate them all!"
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Night combat equipment training.

Yep, been there done that. Most all of my jumps in the 82nd were 800 ft AGL at night loaded down with combat eqpt.

As for skydiving my first real night jump with chemlights ect was jump 104 and 105 up at Paragators in Umatilla, FL (Apr 15, 1995) jumping a Falcon 235. I had a couple sunset loads that were way past sunset that were just about as dark as "night jumps" before that though.;)
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

An interesting night jump in the military was a night combat equipment training jump at Ft. Bliss, TX. 1:00 AMish, Full Moon, Desert Floor. The full moon bouncing off the sand was as bright as any day jump.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Where does the SIM state you need "100 jumps"? You need to "meet the requirements for a USPA B License . Plus a "B" is 50 jumps.

Per the SIM:

Qualifications
Back to Section 6-4

1. Skydivers participating in night jumping should meet all the requirements for a USPA B or higher license.

2. Participants should complete a comprehensive briefing and drill immediately prior to the intended night jump.

a. The training should be conducted by a USPA Safety & Training Advisor (S&TA), Instructor Examiner, or Instructor, who holds a USPA D license.

b. The training (including the date and location) should be documented in the jumper's logbook and signed by the USPA S&TA, I/E, or Instructor.

I did my night jump @ jump #76, it was a blast! Work on the flaring and stuff and when your ready, go for it....it was absolutly unreal!!! :)

Hmm, Desert Phase or Ragnar School?

Like Bigun it was #2 and the Army said go, the door was open and the light was green (no spotting for us).

Now having near 50 Army Static line night jumps (of my near 200 jumps) and over 100 night skydives, they can get tediuous, but I still make 'em as fun as I can.

We had a good 2 CE/T/N Jumps last night, other than the heat and humidity.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I actually did my first night jump at jump 51 right after taking my B license test. I was so jazzed up about finally meeting the requirements of doing one that I just couldn't resist. The jump went perfectly and was one of those jumps that I will never forget. I look back now and wonder what the hell I was thinking doing a night jump with that little bit of experience!! :P I felt ready to do it at the time but in reality, I was probably was not truly ready for it!

You need to be comfortable enough landing in any wind direction and consistantly close to the target to attempt a night jump....your vision and depth perception will be impared so if you have any prior landing problems, doing it at night will only make things that much more difficult, especially if you were to land off.

My advice is while jumping during the day before your night jump, should you decide to do it, watch your altitude closely when you set up your landing pattern keeping track of when do your downwind, base, and final....use this as a reference at night and it will make it much easier landing when you under canopy in the dark looking down at nothing but little lights and black holes! It is very hard to set up a good landing pattern without knowing your altitude...I found that out the hard way on night jump 3 with a broken Neptune! :o Have fun!!
FALLATIO #13
PELT HEAD #20

Regarding the first post:
Like most; 2nd jump at Airborne School.

Regarding the second post:
NOT a Ranger (don't an arse-whuppin for that) :D.
Had finished the "Q" course.
Was on a training mission with 12th Group.

I've done 4 night jumps. Did my first night jump somewhere between 200 and 300 jumps.

Two of the four jumps were some of the most memorable jumps I've ever made. I jumped out at Skydive Dallas in December. The entire Dallas Metroplex was lit. Absolutely stunning. Another night jump was a completed 20 way. Really cool seeing all those glow sticks headed in.

I was as ready as I ever was going to be when I made my jump. I have depth perception problems normally, so I borrowed a larger rig (just in case I misjudged my flare). I didn't, but I wanted that extra security blanket. My husband almost landed in a pond on the 20 way....yipes!

J