JoeG

First jumps off student status

So this weekend I made my first "solo" jumps now that I graduated from AFF. The first jump was made on Saturday afternoon and I made a true solo jump to celebrate being cleared to self JM.

I was really suprised at how long a skydive lasts when you aren't saddled with a bunch of "tasks" that need to be done. I got out at about 14 and after getting good and stable did a back and front loop followed by a few 360's. I was shocked to realize I was still at 12k feet! What a blast that was. It seemed like it lasted 10 minutes.

The second skydive of the weekend for me was three other people; Keith, who has his coaches rating was kind enough to jump with me, and we picked up a couple of other jumpers (Brian and Chad) who were planning solos on the busride over. We planned an exit with Keith, Brian and Chad floating and me diving out after and coming in for a dock (for my A card). Keith was to give the count. Well, thats great and all, but here I come. I was so excited about the exit that I ran into them as they were letting go of the plane, busting Keith in the mouth with my altimeter in the process. B| [:/] :S doh!
I ended up busting through the formation like a bowling ball knocking everyone apart and ended up I guess 70 feet lower than and 100 feet from them as they rejoined. I dearched a bit and got big as I could and finally ended up getting the dock by about 6500-7000 feet.
I gave Keith the "aw hell im sorry man" look and turned and tracked at 5k. I stood up that landing (woohoo!).

Later that day we tried it again, with the same number of jumpers, except we had Eric instead of Brian on that jump. We did the same exit as before with me diving out after. I waited a fraction of a second after they let go this time (mentally "going" on the second go of this "ready, set, go, GO) and ended up slightly above and about 100 feet away this time. I came in for the dock, and since we had enough altitude, went for the frontloop, backloop, and barrel roll within 60 degrees for my A card. I felt much better about that jump, especially since I didn't injure anyone :P

Anyway, sorry about the long rambling post, but I am so excited about skydiving. I really appreciate Keith coaching me and being cool about me busting him in the mouth (still cringe everytime I think of it), Chad shooting video of me, and Brian and Eric for braving being in the same sky at the same time. B|

I was so excited about the exit that I ran into them as they were letting go of the plane, busting Keith in the mouth with my altimeter in the process.

LOL! That's why I wear a full face helmet! Well students and 4-way! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

come ask me to make a jump with you...

2 way only, I will show you some very advanced techniques on fall rate changes, so hopefully the falling low wont happen again.;)

I say 2 way only, because I cant teach you with others around....

the key is, you got to ask for it though.:P

So this weekend I made my first "solo" jumps now that I graduated from AFF. The first jump was made on Saturday afternoon and I made a true solo jump to celebrate being cleared to self JM.

Great Goings on at the DZ!!! B|B|B|B|B|B|:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:B|B|;)

I also just finished my AFF, did my high and low solo on Saturday, going back on Wed after work to do a few really solo dives (now that they're MUCH cheaper...) :)
I'm not nearly as well along as you, judging from your description. I can't quite get the loops down (keep sliding off to one side), let alone docking with others. :(:(:(:(:(

I'm going to take a "fast track to A license" that offered at Cross Keys, after I do a few solos to practice a few things. Its a 5 jump course with video to help get all the skills needed for an 'A' license.

Again, congrats on your excellent progress.

Steve
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

I also made my first solo jump this weekend. Actually, my first 6 solo jumps! And man I have to agree with the length of the skydive. I caught myself looking at my altimeter after what seemed like a minute, and having it say 11,000 feet! It was quite an experience.

It's so awesome to be out there just relaxing and enjoying the skydive as opposed to trying to perform. I got an offer for a coach jump on my last solo. It came right as the plane was approaching for it's load, and my coach didn't have time to change his suit to one that would make him fall slower (I'm a lightweight). We went over some stuff and I was going to dive out right after he did. Well, the exit went great, but I just could not catch up to him! I could see him about 100 feet below me but I just could not get there. I went through the skydive as if he were there anyways, in hopes he would see me do some tracking at most. Unfortunately it didn't happen, but I did land really close to my target, so that's one accuracy landing checked off of my A license card!

Great times.. I am loving this sport more and more with each jump that I make. My DZ rules and so does everyone that jumps there.. can't wait to go back!

MarkS:

Thanks for the offer man. I surely will take you up on it. I think I did pretty good in figuring out how to slow up my fall rate though. I would definitely appreciate learning how to make it happen faster as it took me a good 6000 feet to make the dock on that first jump.

Each jump keeps getting better and better. I am completely stoked right now.

Now I need to see about getting my own gear. Being that I am a common height/weight, there are lots of times when I have to wait for gear to be available, which makes it tough getting as many jumps in as I would like.

Ah well, a bit at a time.

and Eric for braving being in the same sky at the same time. B|

It was a pleasure, Joe! Hope you'll be out this weekend...I'm always up for some combat RW!:D Did you see Chad's video of the jump I was on? I passed between you and Chad and waved at the camera...I'm a ham for the camera...If there's one in the air, I'll be there!!;) I made it a quick strafing run, so as not to steal too much of YOUR ham time!B|

Eric

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

Yeah I saw that. I need to get those vids copied over to dvd though so I can show the fam my l33t skydiving skills :P:)

It rocked jumping with other people. I had been out with three other people one time on my AFF1 jump (two instructors and a camera flyer), but it was really cool with everyone zooming around and being able to see them. Skydives are really becoming a whole lot more fun now that I am aware of whats going on around me instead of it being like I am looking through a paper towel tube. I remember on my AFF1 jump, I didnt ever see the camera flyer until he was right in front of my face.

We will have to jump again, and especially once I have my A. B|

What i noticed on my first few solo jumps; was how nice the senery was..B|

:S

During my high solo, without all the "distracting" tasks to do (and worrying that I wouldn't be passed onto the next level and have to pay another $185), I took a look around. I remember people saying that "you can see Philadelphia from up there". I looked around and was shocked that, not only could I see Philly's Center City, but that it was so damn close! I was looking waaaaaaaayyy off towards the horizon, and had to look closer to see it.

Way cool! (Yeah, I know, typical newbie...)
Steve
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

My solo this past Sunday had a distraction. I got out of the plane late after a 4-way. I should have said go around. I wasn't able to spot the airport but jumped anyway thinking I could look for it in freefall:o

Well I did look for it for about 5K ft (jumped at 10K) doing 360 with my head to the ground. I pulled a bit high at 4.5K hoping to see the dz under canopy. No such luck. I ended up landing off and had to buy a case of beer....and I thought it was going to be cheaper jumping solo....damn beer!
Damn, this is fun!

My solo this past Sunday had a distraction. I got out of the plane late after a 4-way. I should have said go around. I wasn't able to spot the airport but jumped anyway thinking I could look for it in freefall:o

I made my first three dives without an instructor or anyone handholding me last night, and I can really see the difference. With the instructor, I jumped when I was told to jump. I'd never bothered with (or told to look for) the spot, so I trusted the instructor and concentrated on the tasks at hand.[:/]

Yesterday, I actually got to see the spot and the DZ, not only before leaving the plane, but also in freefall. I was able to conentrate just on flying stable, and even threw in a few backloops for fun. B|B|B|

The short of it is, without having to worrk about performing, diving is becomeing more fun and less stressful. I remember people telling me that after AFF is where the fun begins...now I know what they're talking about. The last jump yesterday was a sunset dive. A blood red sun on the horizon to the west, and a full moon just rising in the east. A beautiful reddish cast over the earth before jumping, and a perfect sunset after I landed.

Sweet!

Steve:):P:P;):P;):P:)