Zaphod_BB

Mission possible?

It's a natural enough nickname - if you have two heads. :S

This is what I really LOVE about forums. You get a fairly objective point of view from an outsider from time to time! I always thought my friends called me Zaphod because of my three arms! I never considered the two heads question... How blind can you be - being equipped with four eyes already??? TA! :S

@ those who delivered further information on this subject:
Thank you all again. It is interesting to read your posts and just confirms what I have stated before - depending on what the situation was EXACTLY like it could've been or not been. So I might have been told a fib or I might not.
At any rate: knowing that these last minute rescues ARE possible I am feeling MUCH safer now. Maybe I should consider learning skydiving too and have my extremely cool behind pushed out of a plane :)
@those who delivered no further information:
thanks too, it was mostly amusing what you wrote. Maybe I should consider learning skydiving also for the reason to meet some more humourous people - if they are as humourous in my country as in this forum

@everybody:
Since I am such a dummy as far as skydiving is concerned I suppose I didn't ask all the right questions when the story was told to me in the first place. Also as I stated before I cannot give you a reliable and full account on all the details I have been told - due to the fact that maybe part of the information that I was given got lost because to me, the embodiment of ignorance on this subject, it made no difference. You know how it is when you are being told something about a subject of which you don't know anything, or most to nothing. You will overhear and/or forget some of the crucial information for sheer ignorance and you will distort the information you have been given because you kind of try to fit it into your own image. It is an unconscious process to which we all have to surrender - more or less.
Merci, Grazie, Gracias, Tak, Danke, Thank you, Spassiba and I dont know what else and have a nice day or night :)

the best story in these lines is the students round main canopy hooks up on the rear wheel of the Porter. No way to reach the student. They call the REGA (heli-rescue), a skydiving instructor gets in the chopper, the chopper flies over the Porter, instructor goes down to the student with the winch, cuts the risers and frees the plane who can land safely (a bit short of fuel though...) :|

This is a true story...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Ever heard the WWII era story of the B-17 that broke up or exploded in flight at nighttime? Supposedly, an unfortunate crew member was not wearing a parachute was ejected from the aircraft. He began flailing and grabbing, and grabbed hold of something falling in the dark. It turned out to be a fellow crew member who WAS wearing a parachute! The guy pulled the ripcord and discovered his buddy clinging to his harness with a death-grip. They supposedly landed safely. I read this somewhere many years ago when I was in high school...anyone ever heard the same story?

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

I've come across a similar story (no own chute, grabbing hold of another crew memeber's leg) with a Halifax crew member called Joe Herman. Maybe this is the story you remember from High School.
Check out these two links for more information:
http://www.grognard.com/zines/ga/g3b.txt and http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/amazing.html