dx316dx316

Should I...?

Hello folks,

I am a new member on this forum and a new member of this sport. My buddies are planning a skydiving trip this weekend and I need some information that would help ease my mind.

First off, I'm not a huge fan of heights or roller coasters but for some reason sky diving is something I want to do in my lifetime. What were your feelings the first time you went up in the air and they opened the door?

I will be doing tandem jumping I believe and I want to know if this is the right way to go abouts learning this sport. Is there also a chance I may pass out while in the air because I don't really want to miss out on anything. I know this sounds very wimpy and I don't pretend to be one of those "dare devil" thrill seekers...but like I said, I don't mind trying things out. So any advice on how I can make this trip more amazing than it already sounds would be appreciated. Thanks and take care all!

A tandem jump is an excellent introduction to skydiving. I find skydiving is not at all similar to roller coasters. There is no stomach drop when you exit the plane. It is possible that you could pass out this has happened on rare occaisons, but it is unlikely.

I am slightly scared of heights also, but when you are looking down from the door at the ground, its so far away it almost looks fake to me. Also, there is no falling feeling like there is on a roller coaster. Roller coasters are designed to pull you down at a tighter trajectory than you normally would, giving you that feeling. Skydiving is nothing like a roller coaster.

As far as making your trip more enjoyable? Remember that the second jump is better than the first B|
I have 12 jumps now, and each one has been an order of magnitude more fun!

Have fun up there, and come back and let us know what you thought.

Is there also a chance I may pass out while in the air

All the more reason to get the video! If you pass out, then you'll be able to see what you missed!

I was terrified my first tandem. Then the door opened and I encountered a level of terror that I never thought I'd ever experienced.

Eight months (including 5 "MN Winter" months) and 55 jumps later...

I wish I had the $$$ for a movie on my first jump. I remember sitting on the edge of the plane and then I remember some kind of rush and then I was stood next to the instructor on the ground. Sensory overload got me :$

I WILL NOT go on rollercoasters, they scare the bejeesus out of me. I dont like to stand on the edge of buildings, balconies etc and look over.

All the emotions and feelings you describe are normal.

Tandem is a good start BUT it is not the only start. If you have a deep seated desire to skydive there is no reason not to go SOLO on your first jump.

Remember that those feelings and emotions you are currently having will be tempered and dissipate for the most part after you have done your First Jump Course.

Much of what you are feeling is from fear of the unknown. It is amazing to learn all you need in a FJC and discover that most of your fears are gone. Try it and find out

Good luck either way and enjoy
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I thought he did.

Made me think, poss a noob asking a question.

Looks like you have nothing good to input here.

DX

there a several ways to come into the sport, if your going to jump your going to have to do some ground work, look up- tandem-AFF-static line, find one thats right for you.

If you want to experiance skydiving go for the freefall options.
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Thought I'd skydive once, kinda like check it off my life list, but... My first jump I was nervous as all hell, I even thought about buying some depends undergarments in case I crapped myself! My video looks like a guy being marched off to execution rather than a skydive. Was clenched all the way to the door, then it was all fun. By the time we landed I had figured out how many more jumps I could afford. That was one year ago on 8/6. Now I'm working on the B license and have a rig. It just keeps getting better every jump! So beware my friend, or before you know it...
ONE OF US!
ONE OF US!!
:ph34r:
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

Hey DX,

Welcome!

I did my first tandem back in Feb and had a blast. I did another one in May just to be sure, and then booked in my student course. Ive nearly finished AFF and i am loving it.

You wont have any sensation of "height" from the plane.. you dont really feel like your falling either.. like your floating really.. and view is just stunning!

Its nothing like a rollercoaster, i think id chuck up on a rollercoaster but have never felt that way in the plane nor skydiving.

A tandem is a great idea, youll know after youve done it wether you want to continue or not. It will be one of the most amazing things youll ever do, definetly get video done, definetly do it with a bunch of friends - make a day of it! (moral support and someone to share a beer with that night and tell stories amongst!).

Hope you enjoy it.. looking forward to reading about your experience..
Kell
(FW)

Thanks everyone for the moral support and all the advice. I've done a quite a bit of researching today on this topic and the more I read the more interested I become. I do appreciate all your comments as I'm sure there are occasionally noobs like me who come into this forum and ask these types of questions.

I have decided to try it out this Sunday pending my confirmation of enrollment. Originally it was planned to be a group experience as we have others who will be travelling but for various different reasons a lot of them have pulled out. However, my gf and I are still going ahead with it as we have been psyched up about this. Actually I think she's more psyched than me. In any case, I will be back next week and I will share with you my experience. Have a great weekend to all and thanks a million again!!!!

Is there also a chance I may pass out while in the air ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Start by limiting alcohol the night before.
Get a good night's sleep.
Eat your usual breakfast.
Drink plenty of liquids while at the dropzone.
Try to stand in the shade.
Nibble on small, healthy snacks, like fruits and vegetables.
And all the other healthy advice your mother used to give you ...

I thought he did.

Made me think, poss a noob asking a question.

DX

Hi DX

IMO don't sweat the naysayer. Just consider it what it is......Excellent entertainment:D:D No extra charge:)
R.I.P.

I didn't mind looking out the open door, I didn't mind getting out on the little platform. But that "ready, set, arch!" made me suck in air and shut my eyes for the first few seconds. After that I felt good....there was no going back (to the plane) so I might as well enjoy it.

Actually, I think the "thought" of doing the skydive is actually a lot worse than actually doing the skydive.

And of course a lot of your friends p*ssied out...that happens many times. They thought way too much about it. If you get yourself to the dz you will go...I haven't seen anyone not go after they got there.

The ride up in the plane is fun (if planes don't bother you. You will almost like the door to come open to cool you off. You will scoot up to the open door and think, "I am going to do this." You will move out onto the platform with instructor attached. Instructor will lean, in three quick motions: forward and say "ready", back and say "Set", and forward again saying "ARCH"....and you will say "Oh, sh*t, I guess I'm gonna do this!" as you fall away from the plane.

Then you will feel the rush of air and you will spread your arms and look around. You will say, "this isn't too bad!". Then you likely will look down at the ground and think "Holy cr*p". Then you will feel a jerk and the canopy will open. You will look up and say "Thank God"

Then you will think "these leg harnesses are killing my legs!" as you look around the skyline from 4K ft up in the air. Then you will come down relatively softly, land, and say, "That was freakin awsome! I loved that!"

Then whether you continue will be up to you and your GF.

At least that is what happened to me.
Damn, this is fun!

Hello folks,

I am a new member on this forum and a new member of this sport. My buddies are planning a skydiving trip this weekend and I need some information that would help ease my mind.

Greetings and welcome! B|B|B|B|

I remember feeling a little nervous on my first tandem (I just finished AFF, 13 jumps now), and then I saw the video. I didn't realize that my eyes could open that big and my mouth hang that far slack-jawed.[:/][:/][:/]

But it was well worth it. There is a possibility of passing out, as with any extreme experience. It's called a vagal response. It happens when someone holds their breath and bears down, as if taking a giant crap. The pressure placed on the vagus nerve causes the heart rate to slow down (perhaps as low as 20-30 bpm), and the blood pressure to drop. This causes a subsequent lack of oxygen and glucose to the brain and passing out. If you've ever gotten up off of the toilet too fast and felt dizzy, it's very similar.

The good news is that it's easy to prevent....breathe! When a person breaths (or screams, cries, shouts...), they can't put pressure on the vagus nerve. Simple.

Good luck with the tandem. I knew about 10 seconds out the door that I was hooked forever. Time to sell the golf clubs and the racquetball membership, skydiving is where I'll spend every spare moment and dollar.

Blessings,
Steve
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

I thought he did.

I disagree: "Should I..." as a subject title does nothing to tell the reader what the message content is about.

Correct. And I had to read down into the third paragraph before I could figure out what he was looking for, and that I didn't have any suggestions for him.

For someone asking for advice, he made it difficult for people to figure out what he seeks.

You know what man you’re kinda like me in a way, I don’t like heights at all but I LOVE to face the fear.
I don’t even like being on a ladder.
If your going tandem you have no worries, I jumped tandem my first time and it was the shit. That’s really the way to go at first, AFF is sorta scary your fist time, that’s how it was for me. Tandem is way more enjoyable. And now I would jump everyday if I have the resources. If you wanna do it, go for it. Everyone in the community will support it and plus it’s a Great Achievement for anyone. 13,000 to 15,000 are a long damn way it’s something to be proud of. But it takes Balls.
DustyP

I've only made 10 jumps, so take the following with a grain of salt. :P

First off, I'm not a huge fan of heights or roller coasters but for some reason sky diving is something I want to do in my lifetime.

From what others have said and my own personal experience thus far...skydiving and rollercoasters have nothing in common with the exception of them being an adrenaline rush. Your freefall at 120mph but do not feel like it because once you reach terminal velocity (120mph) you are no longer accelerating. What you feel on rollercoasters is that 'forced' acceleration, for lack of a better term.

What were your feelings the first time you went up in the air and they opened the door?

"What the hell did Brittany get me into? .. What the hell did I get myself into??" :D (jk)

I honestly couldn't recall that plane ride too much. I would assume its the same exact feeling I get every single time they open the door to this day. Between the whoosh of the door opening at altitude and the sound of the plane engine firing up I'm sure sure what gets my heart racing more. :D

As far as my first door exit? CHeck the below attachment. That would be me going: "Oh shit!!!!" It was great.

I will be doing tandem jumping I believe and I want to know if this is the right way to go abouts learning this sport.

Doing a tandem jump is the safest way to experience a skydive. The best way (in my opinion) to learn the sport, is to take an AFF first jump course. The 'right way' is all up to what you feel comfortable doing. If you are unsure if skydiving is for you, you might consider doing a tandem first. This is how many get introduced to the sport I may add.

Is there also a chance I may pass out while in the air because I don't really want to miss out on anything.

There is that chance but I personally have never come close to feeling that way. What you WILL experience is 'sensory overload' While you may not miss out on anything, you may find it hard to remember what the hell just happened ;) This isnt a sales pitch, but I recommend getting the video to go along with it.

I know this sounds very wimpy and I don't pretend to be one of those "dare devil" thrill seekers...but like I said, I don't mind trying things out.

Dude, its cool. Having alot of questions is a very common thing for someone about to try new things. You might also go to www.skydivingmovies.com and download a few tandem and AFF videos from there to get a better idea. When you get to the dropzone, the instructors will be more than happy to answer anything that's on your mind.

So any advice on how I can make this trip more amazing than it already sounds would be appreciated. Thanks and take care all!

Relax! Have fun. Look around at the surroundings and check out the view. I hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

blue skies,
Matt

I've only done one tandem jump, and I too had always wanted to skydive. It was like nothing I could ever explain in words! After that initial fear at the door of the plane, I never felt fear again! It was just pure exhilaration. No rollercoaster feeling, just an incredible feeling of flying and the gorgeous views of the Rockies. I just told myself ahead of time to try and take it all in...kind of like when you are walking down the aisle at your wedding (now I'm trying to forget that one!!) I did get a videotape, which I'm glad I did because I didn't remember the exit from the plane very well. It was great to watch over again...the adrenaline returns each time I watch it. Hope you have a great time if you decide to go!! It's something I will definitely consider doing again!!