matthias

AFF - 'kicking on exit' issue

Thanks for the clarification, Matthias. I appreciate it. Had me a tad worried there. One thing new people don't realize is how bad things can go and how quickly. And it's not something one should learn from first hand knowledge, you know?

Thanks for realizing it, and I do understand the desire to fight for stability on your own - that's a huge part of skydiving successfully. However, as you see now, it can be an incredibly dangerous choice, and your instructor will do what's right (even if it means pulling at 11K).

I was unclear about your exit - are you facing the door or are you hanging onto the bar and actually outside the plane? I think you're still inside the plane, and facing the door rather than sideways, but can you clarify that just a bit? If it's the exit I'm thinking of (diving), there is a trick I've used often to have a rock solid, no kick, right into my arch exit.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Thanks for the clarification, Matthias. I appreciate it. Had me a tad worried there. One thing new people don't realize is how bad things can go and how quickly. And it's not something one should learn from first hand knowledge, you know?

Thanks for realizing it, and I do understand the desire to fight for stability on your own - that's a huge part of skydiving successfully. However, as you see now, it can be an incredibly dangerous choice, and your instructor will do what's right (even if it means pulling at 11K).

I was unclear about your exit - are you facing the door or are you hanging onto the bar and actually outside the plane? I think you're still inside the plane, and facing the door rather than sideways, but can you clarify that just a bit? If it's the exit I'm thinking of (diving), there is a trick I've used often to have a rock solid, no kick, right into my arch exit.

Ciels-
Michele

I didn't use the technique till chasing the falcon and eagle later, after a hundred jumps or so trying to score the falcon you get tence specially when you saw suckup AFF grads jumping with more experienced people rather than each other qand scoring falcons pratically by the time they got the A >:(.....we were typical dumbass's jut off student status :ph34r: thought all you had to do was chant ready set go to altitude and the points would come easy WRONG! Finally some of the old 20-way deguello types saw we weren't going to go away or butt smootch. For some reason they admired our determination and the fact we stuck together for and started giving us tips...that was just one, the others were creep the dive, clean up your exits that piece of advice went something like this-----"QUIT JACKING AROUND IN THE DOOR ASSHOLES!" Then one day at about 175 jumps BAM we did a 15 point falcon. The local gods were so impressed they invited us into an 8 way and damned if we didn't make 6 points! Course their were 4 competition divers in that formation, but us goomba's managed not to embarrass ourselves by missing grips or falling out
at key points.....so its my belief you can overcome anything in the air by taking advice, working hard
using video on key jumps to see what the problem is and mental tricks like that relaxing and positive thinking on the climb...Skydiving is more mental than physical anyway. Control your mind and the body will develope motor memory, hell Grandma's can do it. Airtime Airtime Airtime bsbs
relax kids, all you need is airtime airtime airtime and the ability to relax of course
Plan your dive and dive your plan bsbs

I had a similar problem on Jump # 4. I'm 6'4" and 175 lbs.. I noticed what really helped me was just visualizing it on the plane ride up. ( I also had a hand problem where they'd be too tense ) so I would close my eyes and picture me falling and I'd go through in my head what my hands would feel like being relaxed, than I'd go down and imagine what it feels like being arched and than I'd go to my legs where I imagined applying positive pressure to both legs and to keep my toes out. I thought this really helped, just going through it over and over in my head what each part of my body would feel like.

kicking must be natural for some reason, I saw
a lot of people kicking as they tried to come in, course they had hundreds of jumps and the rest of the falling body had somehow had unconsciously learned to compensate for the airflow imbalance. it caused. Some seemed to kick only when they drove forward or made a tight turn like a 180. For myself on the student levels I found I had to think harder about my legs than hands and arms..never noticed myself doing it in the video's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since it bungled from the exit to 11,000 I'm thinking matthias's main problem might be
nerves, he needs to learn to relax on exit-probably still has tunnel vision since he's a student. Don't rush it. Be ready when you get to the door, have a clear mind, present to the wind and just step out
or off. I saw exits funnel because one or more people on the float lept off the step rather than simply stepping off and letting go while the rest simply let go. No need to be forcefull, you let go of the airplain and its going to leave you:S
relax kids, all you need is airtime airtime airtime and the ability to relax of course
Plan your dive and dive your plan bsbs

Yea, tunnel time would be great! Well worth the investment! Just for me, I've put in 40 minutes there, and can't wait to get my A license cause my coach said I'd be able to start doing 4-ways! Cept, I gotta spend more money on jumps rather than the tunnel for that to happen..

AFF 4:

-OK count, kicking on exit
-dropped knees and tumbled
-jumpmaster pulled @ 11K
-great canopy control, standup landing

Yea, just make sure you hold a nice solid arch. Dropping those knees will make you de-arch (like a slow-fall kinda) and could make you unstable.

I bet if was a nice canopy ride though!:)

I bet if was a nice canopy ride though!:)

More like a LONG canopy ride. Incredible view though. Being under canopy with the clouds still about a mile below me was something else...