matthias

AFF - 'kicking on exit' issue

So far I have done 7 AFF jumps, passed level 3 on the 3rd attempt, tried level 4 yesterday (which requires 1 JM)

The jump was a total disaster. Immediately after the exit we tumbled out of control on all axis. Tried to arch but in the confusion couldn't regain control, instructor pulled my pc at 11,500ft. Well...the 11 minute canopy ride was nice...great view, but that's beside the point.

This 'kicking on exit' issue has been a consistent one. For the record I am 6'4". 180lbs, with rather long legs. I am not sure if this is relavent but I do know that the kicking is more of an involuntary reaction shortly after exit which lasts anywhere up to 3 seconds after leaving the step. I had gotten to the point where I could prevent flipping and from the the diveflow seems to be okay. However, I would like to rectify this issue as quickly as I can as I feel at the moment it is my greatest hinderance, as the exit will make or break the skydive.

If anyone has had similar problems and overcame them, or if any AFF instructors have any tips to correct either through mental drills or at-home practice, or anyway to bring about a solution I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

However, I would like to rectify this issue as quickly as I can as I feel at the moment it is my greatest hinderance

Obviously with my jumps #s I dont know shit, but if your AFFI is pulling for you at 11500 hes not giving you any time to rectify anything. If you would normally deploy at 5000, hes taking away like 35 seconds of freefall. How he expect you to learn?

Remember this is just what I think and I dont know anything B|B|
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Before your reply I was thinking the same thing and the next time I attempt it I was going to request (if its a reasonable one in the interests of safety) that if I were to go unstable to NOT pull unless nearing 6K.

If I could speculate, he may have pulled because the violent tumbling was beyond both of our control. He attempted several times to get me belly down to get a good arch executed but nothing was successful. Without video, its hard to say WHY he decided to pull for me at 11K. ALl I remember was that I have never been in a situation like that before and I was surprised the canopy didnt malfunction on opening. Of course..if it did, I had more than enough altitude to implement emergency procedures.

Before your reply I was thinking the same thing and the next time I attempt it I was going to request (if its a reasonable one in the interests of safety) that if I were to go unstable to NOT pull unless nearing 6K.

yeah the problem with that is that your instructor is trying to save your arse, so when they deem it's time to put you under canopy, they are not going to let you get possibly worse, violent spins can make you go unconscious, you can potential knock out the instructor. you can be so disoriented as to not be altitude aware yourself, and your AAD is not perfect an my not work, even if it does there's no guarantee of a good reserve.
Your instructor did what they thought was right to save your butt in the best way possible, for both of you.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hey-

having just graduated AFF a few weeks ago, I kinda know what you mean. My exits weren't all that bad, but my legs were "kicking." Easiest way I overcame that was firstly, relax, that'll help. Second, keep you chin up as high as it can go. Almost try to look behind you, and your body will naturally arch. Third, face the relative wind on exit.

But most important of all of them, relax. Cheers mate!:)

So far I have done 7 AFF jumps, passed level 3 on the 3rd attempt, tried level 4 yesterday (which requires 1 JM)

The jump was a total disaster. Immediately after the exit we tumbled out of control on all axis. Tried to arch but in the confusion couldn't regain control, instructor pulled my pc at 11,500ft. Well...the 11 minute canopy ride was nice...great view, but that's beside the point.

This 'kicking on exit' issue has been a consistent one. For the record I am 6'4". 180lbs, with rather long legs. I am not sure if this is relavent but I do know that the kicking is more of an involuntary reaction shortly after exit which lasts anywhere up to 3 seconds after leaving the step. I had gotten to the point where I could prevent flipping and from the the diveflow seems to be okay. However, I would like to rectify this issue as quickly as I can as I feel at the moment it is my greatest hinderance, as the exit will make or break the skydive.

If anyone has had similar problems and overcame them, or if any AFF instructors have any tips to correct either through mental drills or at-home practice, or anyway to bring about a solution I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

On the ride up close your eyes and visualize a perfect exit and FF....When you get in the door relax
and present to the wind.....Going to have to repeat that level kid, sorry about that-I know it sucks:)
Just relax its all in the mind and the mind controls the body, things will get better...
Here's a thought....Tell the AFF/JM to relax some also Maybe he or she is Jerking you around and throwing you off. AFF types are generally control freaks you know :)
relax kids, all you need is airtime airtime airtime and the ability to relax of course
Plan your dive and dive your plan bsbs

Did you participate in sports such as football, basketball, baseball, soccer etc?

Chris Welker
AFF I '07

Nah, unfortunately I was one of those indoor types that played computer games. I'd imagine they (sports) would help with being legs aware.

I appreciate the answers and PMs recieved so far, keep em coming. Thanks again.

I didn't bother reading any of the replies but from my personal experience I've done a lot of "swimming" on exit(s). It pisses me off because I KNOW BETTER!!! All I can say is that I had to relax or at least try to, on exit. I thought about and visualized my arch. Not sure what aircraft you are jumping from, but I focused on my arch on exit and it helped me dramatically. It took me awhile to focus on my exit heading, but when I finally relaxed enough to focus on what direction my body was in on exit it helped me stop kicking or "swimming" on exit. ARCH and Breathe. Let it happen... I know that sounds wierd but just focus on a good body position as you exit and after you exit you will be fine. I guess they call it the "Hill". That transition you go through as you go from the relative wind from the forward motion of the plane and the prop blast to actual terminal velocity in free fall... I used to spend that whole time swimming or just too damn tense to focus on what was going on to just let the exit happen. Get yourself in your "zone". Remember this is supposed to be fun.... If I arched and maintained my body position and watched the plane as I fell from it... it helped me tremendously. I actually started to enjoy my exits!!! You will too! Whatever it takes to make you relax, put yourself in that place and all you have to work on is your arch.... good luck!!!!

******Today is one day too late.********

Not sure what aircraft you are jumping from

Twin Otter.

Think about trying to hold a quarter in your ass while you try to F the earth really deep. Then click your heels because your not in Kansas any more and never give up until your goggles fill up with blood or your head pops off.
Black death

Haha, nice way of putting that. Sounds like a plan.

Have you thought about booking yourself in for some extra tuition in a wind tunnel??

I know heaps of ppl that have told me it helped them loads and saved them from having to repeat levels!

I've been seriously considering it. I just have to figure out which one is the cheapest for booking a flight to and take some time off work. I have no doubt that I would greatly benefit from 10-15 minutes in one.

I am not sure if this is relavent but I do know that the kicking is more of an involuntary reaction shortly after exit which lasts anywhere up to 3 seconds after leaving the step.

I would say it is relavent. It tells me you are still disassociating on exit. Or in other words, you exit and your brain doesn't follow immediately. This is extremely common and nothing to beat yourself up over. As I have said many times, 4 or 5 minutes of actual air time is a very short time to become proficient at a skill.

Tunnel time is a great way to learn your basic skills, but there's nothing for training your brain about how to overcome that initial fear response (in your case kicking) like doing.

Here is a link to a book I recommend for training the brain (it's written by Arno Ilgner for climbers, but the techniques translate very well for skydivers)

Good luck, keep us posted.

Obviously with my jumps #s I dont know shit, but if your AFFI is pulling for you at 11500 hes not giving you any time to rectify anything. If you would normally deploy at 5000, hes taking away like 35 seconds of freefall. How he expect you to learn?

Hey man, forget about what I said. Dont question the AFFI desision. That was a baaaad post from me. Sorry.... :P
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Hey man, forget about what I said. Dont question the AFFI desision. That was a baaaad post from me. Sorry.... :P

Everyone please try to remember that while the an AFFInstructor is there to teach you, they are also there to do thier best to help keep you alive. If the instructor pulled you out there was a good reason for it.

With the number of jumps you have, you really shouldn't be asking things on here specific to what you should be doing in the air. At my DZ it is stressed to all the experienced jumpers to not give advice to students. Talk to them, get to know them, but leave the instructing to thier instructor. The same goes doubly so on here.

While everyone is good intentioned they don't know why your having the "issue" you are having.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

What has your instructor told you?

This was the logbook entries for saturday:

AFF 3:

-OK count, kicking on exit
-COA
-2 PRCPs
-COA
-gave arch signal and nice response
-jumpasters released - nice hover, had ver slow drift left
-wave off and pull at 6K
-good canopy control and standup landing
-cleared to AFF IV

AFF 4:

-OK count, kicking on exit
-dropped knees and tumbled
-jumpmaster pulled @ 11K
-great canopy control, standup landing

Phil Myers D-16533

Think about trying to hold a quarter in your ass while you try to F the earth really deep. Then click your heels because your not in Kansas any more and never give up until your goggles fill up with blood or your head pops off.
Black death

What if I live in Kansas? :P

I am surprised you were allowed to progress before rectifying the leg kicking issue. I am doing IAD, and I have the same issue, but can not progress until I fix it.

Maybe it's because nobody is there to pull for me.....

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I am surprised you were allowed to progress before rectifying the leg kicking issue. I am doing IAD, and I have the same issue, but can not progress until I fix it.

Maybe it's because nobody is there to pull for me.....

it's because you're deploying the main at that point. An AFF student kicking 8000ft above deploy time has plenty of time to recover/be recovered after coming off the hill.

Though I fear the result of this is that exits aren't stressed enough, it's unproductive to repeat the earlier levels where you're just falling for 45 seconds.

Hey, Matthias, I was wondering why you've not answered the comments about your instructor pulling for you for your own interest/safety. Two of the above comments make it uber clear about why they pulled; and yet, you haven't changed your position about asking for him to wait with you until 6k to pull.

Seems to me you're missing something if you don't really, truly understand why you were pulled for at 11k. Trust me, it wasn't for the spectacular view...

Moving on...
What sort of exit are you doing? I know that I blew exits until I was very clear as to where to put my legs on a particular exit. It would help to know what sort of exit so those who have experience can sort it out.

But I'm mostly curious as to why you think it's appropriate to wait while out of control until a certain altitude.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I had a similar problem on Jump # 4. I'm 6'4" and 175 lbs.. I noticed what really helped me was just visualizing it on the plane ride up. ( I also had a hand problem where they'd be too tense ) so I would close my eyes and picture me falling and I'd go through in my head what my hands would feel like being relaxed, than I'd go down and imagine what it feels like being arched and than I'd go to my legs where I imagined applying positive pressure to both legs and to keep my toes out. I thought this really helped, just going through it over and over in my head what each part of my body would feel like.

Hey, Matthias, I was wondering why you've not answered the comments about your instructor pulling for you for your own interest/safety. Two of the above comments make it uber clear about why they pulled; and yet, you haven't changed your position about asking for him to wait with you until 6k to pull.

Seems to me you're missing something if you don't really, truly understand why you were pulled for at 11k. Trust me, it wasn't for the spectacular view...

Hi Michele,

I fully believe that the instructor acted in both his and mine interests. To retract my former reply:

I was thinking the same thing and the next time I attempt it I was going to request (if its a reasonable one in the interests of safety) that if I were to go unstable to NOT pull unless nearing 6K.

I understand now..no, it is not a reasonable request in the interests of safety, I'll concede to that. I would have liked to have seen if I was able to stabilize myself, but with the risk of either going unconcious from the violent tumble or inadvertantly striking the instructor, I believe he did the right thing.

I wish to underscore that never once in my AFF training have I questioned the judgment of any instructors.

Moving on...
What sort of exit are you doing? I know that I blew exits until I was very clear as to where to put my legs on a particular exit. It would help to know what sort of exit so those who have experience can sort it out.

I am not sure how AFF exits from a twin otter differ. But its right foot forward, toes of right foot pointed slightly out the door, left foot back. hands on door, back straight, head outside of the door. Hotel check. "Prop" (head up) "up, down, ARCH." Step out with left, right stays in place, arch to relative wind.
Best I can describe it.

But I'm mostly curious as to why you think it's appropriate to wait while out of control until a certain altitude.

My reasoning wasn't necessarily 'waiting while out of control'. I more or les smeant more time to attempt to regain stability by arching...mainly to see if I COULD regain stability.

As a student I'm new to this. I've never tumbled out of control like that. I've flipped on earlier jumps on exit, always recovered and was stable for the rest of the skydive. I couldn't regain stability after 5 seconds which is why he pulled; also because of the way I was tumbling. Fair enough. :)

Again..I'm only a student, and I've never questioned the judgment of my instructors. I do wish to again thank everyone who replied regarding the 'kicking on exit' issue.I will keep the insights in mind this weekend and hopefully we'll see better exits.