WooHoo

Tandem Wingsuit

I have heard that a BASE jump was done with a modified tandem rig. I was wondering given all the boundaries that folk are keen to challenge, if a tandem wingsuit has ever been done.

I'm guessing the answer is no, as the rig would have to be custom built, the glide would be very poor and it could be a bit of a "so what" type achievement.

In keeping with this train of thought has there ever been a two passenger rig? Again I guess it could be possible with experienced skydivers as passengers, but there again what would be the point other than to be the first, which I guess is a pretty good reason to do it.

Just like I once played golf at -26C in North Star GC as part of an extreme golf challenge and ended up getting the world record for the coldest round of 18 holes ever played.
www.awesomeeight.com

If anyone has any other firsts (for fun and the pure challenge) let me know.

"If at first you don't succeed, give up, there's no point in being a damn fool about it"

Just like I once played golf at -26C in North Star GC as part of an extreme golf challenge and ended up getting the world record for the coldest round of 18 holes ever played.

...and it could be a bit of a "so what" type achievement.

Shameless self promotion!;)

But I bet your BALLS were frozen SOLID!:ph34r:

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I have heard that a BASE jump was done with a modified tandem rig.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back in the early days of tandem, say 20 years ago, Ted Strong jumped off the New River Gorge Bridge with Robin Heid strapped to his chest.
Remember that first generation tandem mains opened as quick as reserves (heck, they were only slightly modified versions of tandem reserves), so you would not survive this sort of jump if you tried it with a modern, ZP, elliptical tandem main.

In keeping with this train of thought has there ever been a two passenger rig?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most of the military tandem student harnesses have extra rings (for attaching rucksacks) so it would be easy to strap on a second - small - soldier.

Tandem Examiner, Bill Morrisey told me an amusing story years ago. It seems that he was trying to talk his boss (Ted Strong). Ted nixed the idea. Then - a few years later - Strong Enterprises received photographs of some Brits doing three-way tandems.
Three-way tandems have also been done with small dogs.
I have told my boss that I will cheerfully do three-way tandems with Japanese girls, but first he has to buy and airplane with a tail gate and I expect to be paid double for those jumps. Heck! The combined weight of two Japanese girls would still be less than many of the North American males that I currently jump with (230 pounds, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more).It would be most amusing to lean back and listen to them chatter away in Japanese!
Hee!
Hee!

Chris Martin and Egon did a Birdman tandem a while back. Each had on a Birdman suit and according to Chris, it took off like a bat out of hell across the sky until Egon set the drouge.

We have a system in the Military to jump tandem passengers with full combat load and O2. As was mentioned, we have also jumped K9s HALO, on O2 from 30K. There is a video of Mike F. doing it at last years WFFC with his SAR K9 attached to him, O2 mask and all. However, all of that doesn't compare to pushing a 500lb container out in front of yourself and having it take you for a ride.;)

EDIT TO ADD: I know of one recent wingsuit tandem being done back in July during the AN-72 boogie in Cochstedt Germany
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There have been at least two or three wingsuit tandem jumps done (both people in wingsuits). The first I ever heard of was at Deland with Vladi Pesa and someone, maybe Kim Griffin. Chris Martin and Egon did one as well. It was Egon's first wingsuit flight! Rest in peace, my brothers!!!

Chuck

In keeping with this train of thought has there ever been a two passenger rig? Again I guess it could be possible with experienced skydivers as passengers, but there again what would be the point other than to be the first, which I guess is a pretty good reason to do it.

I have seen a video of a (russian ?) tandemmaster doing a tandem from a balloon with two passengers.
Don't know where I have found the video.

Jurgen

Four weeks ago I did two wingsuit tandems as a passenger at the AN-72 boogie in Cochstedt/Germany. The tandemmaster was Jens Solinsky.
On the first one we had just one wingsuit (the passenger), the next one was done with both of us wearing wingsuits. It was great fun and flying not too bad, you just have to agree on the direction you want to turn ;).

Susanne

www.wingsuit.de

There have been at least two or three wingsuit tandem jumps done (both people in wingsuits). The first I ever heard of was at Deland with Vladi Pesa and someone, maybe Kim Griffin. Chris Martin and Egon did one as well. It was Egon's first wingsuit flight! Rest in peace, my brothers!!!

Chuck

Hey Chuck

Graham Hoal (who was my AFF instructor and almost my winsguit instructor too) told me he was the person who did the first ever tandem wingsuit jump with Vladi. Apparently both wore Bird-Man suits.

I'm hoping someone can confirm this.

Rest in peace indeed.

Hey Susanne, good to see you posting. I forgot to ask you, I was pretty busy at the time, but did you by chance get an video from those flights? See you in Cochstedt next year:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

LoL, he sent me a series of photos and I never realized that was one of them. Did he send you the one with him(?) standing/surfing on a Birdman too? If so, do you know who is surfing and who is flying?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've seen video of PD test jumpers jumping with 3 people under a tandem canopy... the third person cutting away from the group and opening their own main. I believe it was to test wingloading under cargo parachutes. Wingloading they obviously couldn't get with just 2 people.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Search people!

Skydiving #227 - June 2000

Tandem master Michael "Mad Dog" Maguire and experienced skydiver John Loken made a tandem BirdMan wing suit jump last month as Skydive DeLand in Florida. The passenger, Loken, wore the wingsuit; Maguire had on a standard jumpsuit. "We went drogueless for most of the freefall portion - it went well, we covered a lot of ground, " said Loken. "After that I wanted Mad Dog to do a biplane tandem [both in wing suits] but he said 'no way.'"

Skydiving #235 - Februyary 2001

A few jumpers recently made several tandem wingsuit jumps at Skydive DeLand in Florida. Here Vladi Pesa and Jon Loken are shown a few seconds after exiting a Skyvan in late December; Pesa is acting as the instrcutor. Pesa said the jump was preceded by a long session on the ground. "we went through all possible procedures completely hooked up on the ground in order to familairize ourselves with every situation: exit, freefall, communication in freefall, drogue deployment and release, wing release, malfunctions, etc." he said. The flight plan called for an exit at 13,5000 feet, drogueless gliding until 8,000 feet, and main canopy deployment at 6,000 feet. The subsequent jump went smoothly. "Our performance wasn't as good as on a solo wingsuit jump," Pesa reported, "but the high forward and pretty slow vertical speed was still impressive." The pair used suits built by BirdMan International with a "Sygma" (sic) rig from the Relative Workshop. Both skydivers are quite experienced, with several thousand jumps each.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

LoL, he sent me a series of photos and I never realized that was one of them. Did he send you the one with him(?) standing/surfing on a Birdman too? If so, do you know who is surfing and who is flying?

I havn't seen the photo, but as far as I know the BirdMan guy was Rolf

www.wingsuit.de