2 2
peek

Attention Skydivers: Jumping a BASE rig from aircraft in the US is not just illegal, but stupid

>It's equivalent to having an off duty cop take a punk
>out for a talk about crime and consequences. Informal, constructive
>and effective. The kid is nervous, so he listens. Everybody wins.

Hmm. I would prefer to talk to the guy myself rather than call a cop - especially if he was another skydiver. If he then continues in his criminal ways, I might then call the cops, but that would be a last ditch thing. I prefer people take care of their own problems by talking to other people directly; seems to work better that way.

when law enforcement is notified, whether on duty or not, it draws attention to an activity. they then choose to monitor the activity more closely.

it just seems like a bad idea, unless you know in advance that the official won't mention it around the office. unfortunately, many want a promotion and want to impress their superiors.

FAA, IRS, police, district attorneys, etc. always choose words correctly.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Interesting Read. The Dynamics of the repsonses pro/con are divided pretty much how I would expect them to be with a few anomolies that I didn't expect.

So let me see if I am right. For those that are pissed and calling Peek a Rat would it have been better if he went and got a couple of buddies and hog tied this punk and threw him in his tent for a couple hours to think about how he was about to fuck up the Convention for us skydivers and the Ballon Pilot if he bounced? Where I come from you fuck with mine i'm fucking you up right? At least thats the way we did it when I was 18...

Guess what I'm 40 years old now and kicking someones ass got real old a long time ago. Gary thought the knucklehead needed a talking to as the kid didn't seem to have the smarts to listen to someone that has probably been jumping longer then he had been alive (I have no Idea how old the person was makign a general statement)

Which also goes with most of the people yelling RAT! To be a Rat/Snitch etc has a different meaning to me. A rat has a vested intrest in turning someone in i.e. freedom to sell dope as long as they are turning 1-2 competing dealers in a month..So those yelling Rat...Grow up.. You gots no Idea what your talking about and frankly I think your yappin' to hear your lips flappin...:P;):ph34r:

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

...when one of your own bounces you call 911 and run off...

Although that's a perception held by some folks, I've honestly never seen a jumper actually do that, and I know a whole lot of jumpers who never would (myself included). I know of one case within the past year in which multiple jumpers all stayed with a fatality, and all got busted, because it was the right thing to do. Personally, I've been arrested staying with an injured jumper, and I know several other people who have, too.

some perceptions are held for a reason :(

Foggy

>Is there any possible way you can justify feeling this way?

I can think of a few reasons.

One is what's familiar to you. You might feel safer with a parachute on than with a harness and a tether if you were a C-130 loadmaster dropping jumpers - even though the military uses harnesses and tethers with great success. (And even though they're probably safer.)

Another is relative sizing. Most BASE rigs are large; a great many skydiving rigs are small. If I was going to have a tension knot, I'd rather have it on my Mojo 240 than on my PD143R.

Yet another is deployment reliability and packing skill. A BASE rig is very, very reliable, and cannot have a two-out malfunction. If someone is more familiar with packing a BASE rig than packing a skydiving main, their odds of having a double mal, an out of sequence deployment or a two-out that causes them problems may well be greater than the odds of a mal on a single parachute system.

Keep in mind that whuffos think that having three parachutes would be safer - and we laugh at them, because we're comfortable with two.

Although I think a single parachute system is safer, and actually feel safer than having a dual parachute system on my back I would never attempt to jump a single parachute system at a skydiving event........

Read the post again, and tell me you honestly believe a single parachute system is safer.

We were not discussing monkey belts, two out or packing. The question is single parachute systems.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>>some perceptions are held for a reason<<

That old saw stems from one incident in the Black Canyon back in the day. And I must tell you after talking to one of the jumpers involved I'm not sure it ever even happened. The story was repeated so many times in the BASE community, by myself included, it was taken for granted it was true.

That reputation was furthered in the early 90s when people who had sensitive careers started to BASE jump more and more. So it wasn't too uncommon to see four experienced BASE jumpers decide to jump something – but they'd make a deal first.

Call it the pact or whatever you want, but it was sometimes pre-agreed that it was everyone for themselves. That's cold I know - but these are adult boys and girls playing a deadly game. Even though I'd never leave a dog behind I entered into these pacts a few times just because they are so serious and you know you're 100% responsible for yourself. It's like jumping alone, but funnier.

I never had to worry about getting caught as I've almost always worked in the parachute industry. I can call my boss at four in the morning to announce, "Hey, if you want me to teach that AFF class in the morning, or be selling that gear on the phone, you'd better come down here and bail me out." But not everyone has that luxury.

Gary, on personal level – I remember your early software being the gee-whiz thing on the block when we got it at Square One. We even set up a computer on the floor so the customers could come in and play with it. I guess I'm trying to say I love you, man.

Okay, we have few newly minted BASE awardees who are letting the euphoria get the best of them, and who hasn't done that at some point – but Stratostar I'll just say this and drop it – El Cap wasn't closed by BASE jumpers, it was closed by skydivers.

And for what it's worth the relationship between BASE jumpers and skydivers is in a lot better shape than it virtually appears here . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

for what it's worth the relationship between BASE jumpers and skydivers is in a lot better shape than it virtually appears here

I wonder if that's because some of us skydivers also consider ourselves BASE jumpers and some of us BASE jumpers also consider ourselves skydivers? I like doing both activities and I don't like it when skydivers and BASE jumpers slam each other. We have a lot more in common with each other than we do with the whuffo world and for sure the FAA.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

i'm gunna get in a balloon with a base rig on and a bunch off goodie goodie suck-up-to-the-man skydivers and light the basket on fire at 400 feet. HiYA!

That would make some good video. :o

actually no it wouldn't. [:/]

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

What this IS about is that it is illegal to jump from an aircraft in the US without TSOed gear

Not necessarily correct. I wish Avery would chime in here and tell us about the above-mentioned 1997 WFFC low-altitude balloon jumps. I believe you can jump non-TSOed gear from an aircraft with an FAA waiver.
YES I WAS THERE, IT HAPPENED. THE BALLOON WAS ON A ROPE SO THE COULD KEEP JUMPING WITHOUT CHASING IT. NO BIG DEAL. NO ONE TOLD ON ANYONE. I CAME FROM A BIG DZ IN THE NE WHERE WE MADE THE NO RULE RULE AND YOU HAD TO COVER YOUR OWN ACTION. YOU DIED THATS ON YOU.
WHEN IT COME TO BREAKING RULE:
2 YOUNG JUMPERS (250+200 JUMPS) TOOK OUT AND TRAINED A NEW JUMPER USING DEMO GEAR SABER 190 FOR HIS FIRST TIME WITH A GUY WITH 70 JUMPS TAKING PICTURES;1,2,3 JUMP WAS AFF LEVEL 1-3, 4 WAS A 10 WAY, 5 WAS THE CONNIE, 6 WAS A 4 WAY, 7 WAS A HELICOPTER. HE GOT HIS LICENSE AFTER THAT WITH A COUPLE OF JUMPS SIGNED FROM THE BOGGIE. START TO DO CREW ON HIS 15 JUMP. HE HAS BEEN IN THE SPORT FOR YEARS NOW.
NOW THAT WAS ONLY ONE THING AT THAT BOGGIE I WILL SAVE THE HERD FOR ANOTHER TIME
As much as everyone wants to separate BASE Jumpers and Skydivers, we must keep in mind that we are all parachutists....

Track high, Pull LOW!!!

I wish Avery would chime in here and tell us about the above-mentioned 1997 WFFC low-altitude balloon jumps.

Gary -
Can you chime in and just confirm this? I was not involved in 1997 so I would not be able to confirm nor deny that this happened.
-----
~~~Michael
  • Like 1

Not necessarily correct. I wish Avery would chime in here and tell us about the above-mentioned 1997 WFFC low-altitude balloon jumps. I believe you can jump non-TSOed gear from an aircraft with an FAA waiver.
YES I WAS THERE, IT HAPPENED. THE BALLOON WAS ON A ROPE SO THE COULD KEEP JUMPING WITHOUT CHASING IT.

They are called “Manned Free Balloons” and are covered under FAR Part 31 for Airworthiness Standards and Part 43 for Maintenance, Preventive Maintenance, Rebuilding, And Alteration.

They are flown under Part 91, General Operating And Flight Rules.

Sec. 91.307

Parachutes and parachuting.

(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and--

If they are tethered they are not “Manned Free Balloons” and not covered by any FAA regulations.:)

Interesting Read. The Dynamics of the repsonses pro/con are divided pretty much how I would expect them to be with a few anomolies that I didn't expect.

So let me see if I am right. For those that are pissed and calling Peek a Rat would it have been better if he went and got a couple of buddies and hog tied this punk and threw him in his tent for a couple hours to think about how he was about to fuck up the Convention for us skydivers and the Ballon Pilot if he bounced? Where I come from you fuck with mine i'm fucking you up right? At least thats the way we did it when I was 18...

Guess what I'm 40 years old now and kicking someones ass got real old a long time ago. Gary thought the knucklehead needed a talking to as the kid didn't seem to have the smarts to listen to someone that has probably been jumping longer then he had been alive (I have no Idea how old the person was makign a general statement)

Which also goes with most of the people yelling RAT! To be a Rat/Snitch etc has a different meaning to me. A rat has a vested intrest in turning someone in i.e. freedom to sell dope as long as they are turning 1-2 competing dealers in a month..So those yelling Rat...Grow up.. You gots no Idea what your talking about and frankly I think your yappin' to hear your lips flappin...:P;):ph34r:

[/could not agree more]

all that is gold does not glitter
not all those who wander
are lost!

I may have missed something, but a tethered balloon is not governed by the FAA.
It would need to be free flying or over a certain height (500 feet AGL I believe) before it would fall into their jurisdiction.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

i'm gunna get in a balloon with a base rig on and a bunch off goodie goodie suck-up-to-the-man skydivers and light the basket on fire at 400 feet. HiYA!

Your ride is here, it the bus around the corner, the short one.[:/]

I see several people in here saying, "Screw the legality, It's OK to do it even if it endangers somebody else in any way."

[:/]

If I was a pilot and someone saved my ass from getting fined or my license suspended/revoked, I'd be buyin' the beer for him.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

that might be cool, as long as you dont get a punk bitch to light it.:)

BASE jumping IS THE FUTURE OF YOUR SPORT!

Would you believe I actually agree with you to a certain extent?

With all of the pressures on skydiving from aircraft, we are seeing many people turning to BASE jumping, and it is going to increase. (But I don't want to see pressure on skydiving from the above mentioned thing.)

(On the other hand, what about those wind tunnels? Another offshoot of skydiving that doesn't require aircraft.)

>Hmm. I would prefer to talk to the guy myself rather than call a cop - especially if he was another skydiver. If he then continues in his criminal ways, I might then call the cops, but that would be a last ditch thing. I prefer people take care of their own problems by talking to other people directly; seems to work better that way.

hmmm - so you agree exactly with peek then. He talked to the kid first, the kid didn't seem to get it, so he found someone the kid might listen to. Glad we settled that.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So let me see if I am right. For those that are pissed and calling Peek a Rat would it have been better if he went and got a couple of buddies and hog tied this punk and threw him in his tent for a couple hours to think about how he was about to fuck up the Convention for us skydivers and the Ballon Pilot if he bounced?

wha?

I thought Gary mentioned the jumper in question missed the load. there was no way he could mess it up for anyone or the WFFC.

the potential jumper expressed poor judgement, but did NOT jump...

it's like calling the cops because you knew someone thinking about buying pot...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

No wonder why we have the lowest retention rate than any other sport.

i think that we have " the lowest retention rate......"
because the earth is very unforgiving when we hit it, not because we rat each other out. :P:P:P

be safe

kleggo

Then you whine a cry because you can't jump El'cap and the like, guess what, you stupid fuckers are the reason us law abiding citizens can go to El' cap and jump it and the main reason it is outlawed is because of the total lack of respect your peers have shown over the years in that park.
because
i'd bet a bunch-o-money that the reason "we" can't jump in Yosemite legally is because of actions that occured by SKYDIVERS long before the current generation of BASE jumpers had graduated kindergarden. Remember the Flatbed incident ????????

A lot of you need to clean up your act! IMHO

To bad more of you can't have the outlook Tom A. seems to have.

Now you seem to be back on track. Can't argue with these points.

be safe

kleggo
~