tornado

Exit from Piper Cherokee?

Here are some pictures of the rear left hand door of a Cherokee 6. The first picture shows the interior with seats, (plenty of room without seats)

The second picture is a view from the outside.

This is similar to the ones I have jumped. Pretty cool little plane. We went with four but I think you can haul up to six. (5 jumpers and a pilot) It had a jump step and floater bars on the top.

I am not familiar with the four seater but I would guess it is much smaller and more difficult to exit from without the cargo door.

picture

I tried one of those once... well two attempts. It did not go well AT all. Opening the door does amazing things to the A/C's desire to roll up on it's side.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi there!
I planing make a jump from my friends cherokee,
if someone know how to get out from this aircraft, plz, let me know.
thanks

Okay, I have been involved in quite a number of Cherokee PA28 jumps, door on and door off, as jumper and pilot.

The PA28 is approved for flight with the door removed, and that is the way to go. Forcing the door open in flight is tough on the door, and, though flimsy, they are not cheap. In addition, flying with someone climbing out the partially-opened door is not much fun.

My preferred exit is to lie on the wing facing aft, with my right hand on the step, spotting by looking under the wing. When the exit point is reached, just slide off.

The basic Cherokee does not exactly climb like a scared cat, so hop and pops are the order of the day.

The PA32 is a completely different animal.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I made about 60 solo jumps out of our club's 140 a few years ago. Just removed the door, climbed out on the wing feet facing the tail and back facing the prop. Put my right foot on the step, left hand on the wing just above the flap and rolled off keeping a low profile away from the tail. Great for single jumper demos and just jumping for grins. As I recall, to be legal, we also had to post a sign on the dash which read SEE OPERATION MANUAL FOR FLIGHT WITH DOOR REMOVED. For some reason, that made it legal.

Have fun

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

The picture posted by tornado in post #18 is a PA-28 Piper Cherokee. Looks like maybe an old Cherokee 160. It is a 4 place A/C and has one door above the right wing.

The picture posted by Shropshire in post #21 is a PA-32 Piper Cherokee Six. It is a six place A/C and has a door behind the left wing. (there is also a door above the right wing)

Taking a 3 way out of a PA-28 would be almost impossible.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Opening the door does amazing things to the A/C's desire to roll up on it's side.

This is the most important part of the jump. I've gone out of a Comanche a half dozen times over a few years. The first time we tried was an attempt. The plane doesn't want to fly with the door opened and pushed out into the airstream as far as it needs to be to get out. The plane had to be slipped to the left with the nose down, gear down (iirc), power reduced. It is losing altitude pretty fast while being flown like this, but the exit is priceless! The pilot prolly will not be able to close the door all the way after it is opened during flight.

Check and become very familiar with all of the latches and handles that could snag your gear while your getting out. Remember, this is a dangerous jump for you, the pilot and the plane!

Have fun:ph34r:

Jon

Small, low wing, low stabilizer aircraft with a door that opens sideways. It'd be very difficult if not impossible, maybe illegal. Only certain aircraft are approved for flight with the door open or off IIRC.

It's already been stated, but the Cherokee and Cherokee six are both legal to jump with the rear door removed. We didn't do it routinely (we had two C-182's for "regular" jumping), but we used to use my dad's Cherokee six for demos on more than a few occasions.

Chuck

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

A tiny door damn near above the wing. :P

You can remove the cargo section of the door and it is almost twice a big. Not very high though.

I have done several demos from both the Cherokee Six and the Turbo Lance. They are a bitch to spot from.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals