tornado

Exit from Piper Cherokee?

I jumped a Cherokee 6 into a football game in Liberty, Kansas in 1992. It was STCd to fly with the cargo door removed. I don't remember how many of us there were - three or four I think (I remember it as being a 6-place aircraft). We made sure he was flying as slow as he safely could, and did as low lift an exit as possible (not hard for my big carcass). It went fine, and other than protecting pins and handles it was no big deal. It was not an aircraft I would want to jump routinely though.
Arrive Safely

John

Oooh.... Andy, Billy and I did that, the other weekend (see Andy's Thread...clicky.)

We took a linked 3 way out.... the door looks small (but so are we)... Me - Rear Float, Billy - Front and Andy kneeling in the door.. All went jolly well too.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire
I did send you PM

Oooh.... Andy, Billy and I did that, the other weekend (see Andy's Thread...clicky.)

We took a linked 3 way out.... the door looks small (but so are we)... Me - Rear Float, Billy - Front and Andy kneeling in the door.. All went jolly well too.

It couldnt have worked any better. It was the best launch and 3 way we have ever done. What an experience.

Hell, to complicate it even more we decided to switch our positions on the ride up too. What a great jump.

There is plenty of room in that itty bitty door, you just have to be a little creative. ;)

Billy
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Hi,
It was fine.... Although we were warned not to jump Up on exit (because of the tail plane - it does look low when the a/c is on the ground). It was a sweet jump and our 1st from that plane too.:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Which model cherokee is it? There's a huge difference between a cherokee 6 (PA-32) and a cherokee (PA-28). I think most people here are talking about PA-32s, but you sound like you're talking about a PA-28. It's listed at http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2006SIM/section9AC105.2C.htm as being able to be operated with the door removed though.

Dave

I've done 4 ways out of Cherokees many years ago and I don't remember any problems. They used to have one at Larry Bagleys DZ in Salt lake city.

As I recall the door is about the same size as a 182.

Oh yeah, it was a Cherokee 6, this was Utah in the winter so it definetly had a door.

I don't think you took a 3 way out of a Piper Cherokee. It may have been a Cherokee 6 or a Piper Lance. The Cherokee only has one door and it is above the right wing. The Cherokee 6 and the Lance have a left hand door just behind the left wing and a cargo door right behind that can be removed.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

We basically had Tony (shrop) in the rear floating, Billy (woodpecker) on center and me kneeling barely able to see anything except chest strap. Count was done and we exited and like the guys have said, it was probably our best 3-way exit.

This is bringing back the jump, my favourite to date.

Check my thread out thats linked on this thread by Shropshire. I posted a picture of the actual aircraft.

Edit: Nevermind Shrop posted the pic.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.