DoZ3r

Why?

Well...

I guess I made this post because I want to be able to tell my friends why I skydive...

And the explaination: "It is cool" doesn't really work...

So why do you skydive? And how did you start?

DoZ3r, Denmark
If everything seems under control.. You're just not going fast enough..!

Because jumping out of airplanes, and the people that I have met who do the same, together are the one thing that has really been missing my whole life.

I have never met better people, and I have never been as happy in life as I am now that I am jumping!!!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Yea it's "cool" but that's not why I do it, I find it good stress relief, nothing better after a sh!t day at work than to go to the DZ for a couple. Also the poeple involved and who I have become friends with.

It beats kicking\passing\throwing\hitting a ball around on grass any day !!

How many kids dream of being able to fly? How many kids actually achieve this? Most people on this forum have! :)
I love the way that apart from the first few seconds - you don't actually get a falling sensation - so it actually feels like you are flying - just like Superman! ;)

I was just thinking about this the other day...

On a different note, for me, it's about awareness. I've been through enough that not a lot will faze me...and I often treat sticky situations by just pushing through them, knowing that I'll reflect on them later.

Which is to say, in a sense, I tend to live in the past and future, and not a lot in the now. (I also run my own company, so I'm constantly having to be in four places at once. There's always something more to do, always another task to focus on).

Skydiving forces me out of that pattern. It's very present-inducing. There's really no way for me to do it without being right there, in "the now," focused on it and only it, pushing the rest of the world out of the way.

And that's a great thing. It's an escape like no other.

(That may just be me, but that's how I see it.)

It's also a challenge - but one I do on my own terms. There's always something to get better at, something to move towards - but I choose my own course. It's as much of a personal sport as it is a team sport...as much a mind game as it is physical.

All that...and there's nothing like that feeling of completing a great jump, just the way you were supposed to, then coming in for a darn-near perfect landing and sharing a beer with your friends who were flying with ya. :)

Because you're finishing your first semester of med school. You had 2 practicals last week, a test covering the past month, (in a few hours), a semester final in 9 days (only about 5 phone books worth of info that must know by then), You have not slept more than 4 (sometimes 5 hours) in the past week. You feel you don't know anything....

Yeah skydiving is cool. Nothing I rather be doing right now
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I have wanted to fly since I was a little kid. It's also why I got involved with magic. But skydiving is closer to flying than any magic trick that I, or anyone else for that matter has ever done. And right now, it's the closest that I can come to actually flying.

Plus it's cool B|

I'll throw my .02 cents in here...

I have been overweight for most of my life (well, since I was 12 anyway.) Being overweight pretty much limited what I could do (i.e. sports, dating, cool clothes, fitting into an airline seat). I finally had enough, weighing in at 420 last year, having diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc.; I had gastric bypass surgery last April.

I'd always been interested in these fools who jump out of airplanes that weren't on fire, but again here was something that my weight wouldn't allow me to do, as the tandem limit at CrossKeys was 225. The day before my surgery I made a promise to myself that on my one year anniversary (April 8th) I would do a tandem if my weight allowed. This past April, I weighted 215 so I did it.

10 seconds into the first tandem, I knew that I was hooked! :)can jump, and that I can live life. So every time I jump, I live like I had always wanted, but never could.

In short, I truly jump to live. I never want to go back to that person who wrestled with the idea of wanting to get a drink of water, but getting up out of the chair was too much of a burden.

So that's why I jump. SPeaking of which, I'm going tomorrow after work! B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

Steve
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

Man small.
Why fall?
Skies call.
That's all.

Thats been tatooed on my left bicep for 22 years.

Did you make that saying up,. if not where did it come from, or where did you read it, just to know.
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Man small.
Why fall?
Skies call.
That's all.

Thats been tatooed on my left bicep for 22 years.

Did you make that saying up,. if not where did it come from, or where did you read it, just to know.
--------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure who made the saying up. My guess is Andy Keech...who put together a triplet of books in the late 70s early 80s about Skydiving.
Go find the books you will love them.
Skies Call I II III

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Freedom is flight. There is nothing that I would rather do. We only get one shot in this life, live every moment to the fullest. This is your life. You are responsible for our own happiness, do everything you want to do. No worries or regrets, enjoy & be safe.

I have always loved flying.
... built a hang glider during high school, flew gliders for a while ... crewed hot air balloons ... earned a private pilot license ... repaired helicopters while in the Air Force .... 14 years ago I quit my daytime job to become a skydiving bum .... now I do tandems and rigging for a living.
Skydiving allows me to avoid "real" jobs.

Well...

I guess I made this post because I want to be able to tell my friends why I skydive...

And the explaination: "It is cool" doesn't really work...

So why do you skydive? And how did you start?

DoZ3r, Denmark

Keeps me sane.

Keeps me grounded.

Works better than Ritalin.

Keeps my creativity juices flowing